Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Neno
Neno

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

i would say those ears are not ears in meaning canals for DRD, they have some different purpouse.for me those ears looks like they are designed to be closed, i dont see any way opening them, what is weird there is free space between ears and airbox alone, wich is not case with sauber interpretation or any other.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

I would assume the ears are there to direct airbox spillage away from the streamtube that heads to the rear wing.

It would mean a slightly more consistent flow onto the rear wing, therefore they can be a touch more aggressive in its design and can also design their DRD a little easier.

thisisatest
thisisatest

I think it was a few pages back, but I like the idea that the ears are there to direct air that gets blocked from the intake when the driver gets off the throttle. This directed air would go somewhere to provide a downforce benefit, offsetting the downforce loss from lack of exhaust gases.
Although... one could probably have one single opening that divides inside, accomplishing the same thing and hiding it from everyone...

Blackout

And don't forget that the E21 has a particular sidepod/crash structure design whitch has been 'copied' by the Mclaren this year. Sidepods are swept a bit backward...
Neno wrote:i would say those ears are not ears in meaning canals for DRD, they have some different purpouse.for me those ears looks like they are designed to be closed, i dont see any way opening them,
NormalChris wrote: In this shot it appears there is a seam and a ring of red adhesive that holds the covers over the ears
Neno wrote:what is weird there is free space between ears and airbox alone, wich is not case with sauber interpretation or any other.
Nothing weird there. we already duscussed that some pages ago...
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 42#p409042

wesley123
wesley123

Blackout wrote:And don't forget that the E21 has a particular sidepod/crash structure design whitch has been 'copied' by the Mclaren this year. Sidepods are swept a bit backward...
You mean Ferrari, they did it already in 2009 or 2010
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

F60, F10, F150, R31, E20 and MP4 28

khaliweed
khaliweed

So this "cheating" by Renault could be true afterall! Maybe that explains why the Lotus and Redbull have been impressive in testing. They say Caterham has also some "sweet" sound coming from the engine. :lol:

stefan_
stefan_

(If you are referring to the engine story) The design and phylosophy of the car stays the same and "reverting" to 2012 engine mapping wouldn't hurt too much I think. They probably tested something more extreme on purpose to see what the FIA thinks and to see where they are going from testing. Of course, a clever mapping of the engine would have helped, but it's better to have something clear now than to find yourself put at the back of the grid or disqualified from a race because of this.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Donuts

Reliable source? Until then, pure specualtion.

I asked James Allen(reliable source?), he's replied and said he looking into it... t.b.c...

Case closed:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105739
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Blackout

They're open

korzeniow
korzeniow

I was hoping to see new nosecone at this test.
But it looks like they are sticking to this basic one from previous year.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Session 2) - Day 1 (28.02.2013)

AMuS

Last edited by stefan_ on 28 Feb 2013, 12:08, edited 4 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Donuts

Expect Lotus to set fastest times of the test, but maybe not, since Romain Grosjean has "matured". =D>

Looking forward to some more pics today!
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Thunder

korzeniow wrote:I was hoping to see new nosecone at this test.
But it looks like they are sticking to this basic one from previous year.
Let's wait what it looks like on Sunday.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Session 2) - Day 1 (28.02.2013)