Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
user001
user001

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

the new FW looks like the FW lotus used last year regarding the nosecone.

Skett
Skett

Seamus wrote:@f1technical

AMuS have learned that Williams will introduce a ramp-style exhaust tomorrow, following Lotus and RBR, two other Renault powered teams
This makes me wonder what the whole point of the exhaust fin was then. Testing the waters for something else, or just trying to distract our attention from the blown wheelnuts?

raymondu999

IMO it makes it clear that they wanted to almost make an entire tunnel to completely funnel the exhaust down to the gap between the floor and the tyre. Sort of a super extended acer duct, if you will.

Interesting that the Renault runners seem to be converging on the ramp/tunnel idea. Perhaps the Renault engine, even without fancy mapping, produces more exhaust gases when off throttle, compared to their rivals? I remember that the Renault used butterfly valves for the throttle while the other two don't. Could that be it? Or I could have it the wrong way around.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:IMO it makes it clear that they wanted to almost make an entire tunnel to completely funnel the exhaust down to the gap between the floor and the tyre. Sort of a super extended acer duct, if you will.

Interesting that the Renault runners seem to be converging on the ramp/tunnel idea. Perhaps the Renault engine, even without fancy mapping, produces more exhaust gases when off throttle, compared to their rivals? I remember that the Renault used butterfly valves for the throttle while the other two don't. Could that be it? Or I could have it the wrong way around.
Certainly it was renault who moaned that they needed to keep blowing gasses out for cooling purposes when the FIA first tried to clamp down on it.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Ramp style exhaust today!

zoro_f1

they are using coanda with under channel.

Last edited by zoro_f1 on 02 Mar 2013, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 3 (02.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Bodywork around the gear box looks different to me too

DarkJRO

Blackout wrote:Bodywork around the gear box looks different to me too
could be the outlet for the tunnel under the exaustramp
Greetings
Dark JRO

Blackout

DarkJRO wrote:
Blackout wrote:Bodywork around the gear box looks different to me too
could be the outlet for the tunnel under the exaustramp
Yes

Forza

Another look at FW35 new exhaust at Barcelona today
Last edited by Forza on 02 Mar 2013, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Doesn't this look more like the original RB tunnel than the later versions?

Floor is different too, now it has strakes infront of the tyres.
Last edited by Sevach on 02 Mar 2013, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Interesting, seems like the tunnel's exit is in the low central area where the new bodywork is
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

New 'double' bargeboards too

beelsebob
beelsebob

It seems bizarre to me that the team with the strongest, tightest coke bottle are testing a system that's known to impact the effect of the coke bottle.