Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Randomness
Randomness

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

This system looks very improvised from bolts protruding out of the floor to the size of the tunnel. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams were more focused on finding out how the ramp itself performs, before deciding to further refine this system.

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Blackout

beelsebob wrote:It seems bizarre to me that the team with the strongest, tightest coke bottle are testing a system that's known to impact the effect of the coke bottle.
You dont mean Williams, do you ?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Blackout wrote:
beelsebob wrote:It seems bizarre to me that the team with the strongest, tightest coke bottle are testing a system that's known to impact the effect of the coke bottle.
You dont mean Williams, do you ?
Yes I do... Which other team has a micro gearbox so small that they can basically delete the back of the car?

Blackout

The gearbox is bviously tiny. But it seems ''cocke bottle shape'' hasnt the same meaning for me and you.
I mean, the Williams sidepods seem to have a big footprint on the floor. One of the biggest.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Looks like it has a big crack in it in that image.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

IMO it's vindication that it's the quicker solution, provided you can get it to work.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 3 (02.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Those bulges the ramp could almost account for a tunnel. That'll keep the exhaust gasses nicely concentrated.
#AeroFrodo

bhall
bhall

raymondu999 wrote:
IMO it's vindication that it's the quicker solution, provided you can get it to work.
Not necessarily. The simplest solution, in my view, is always the better one. (And I'll take free flow over constricted flow every day.)

What this tells me is that the Renault engine just can't provide whatever teams need exhaust-wise without a crutch. That's evidently the trade-off for its better fuel mileage and reduced cooling requirements (and, to be fair, part of the price of non-existent development).
Last edited by bhall on 02 Mar 2013, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
My instinct is that it's the quicker solution, provided you have a renault engine.

markp
markp

That this exhaust solution has been planned allalong it seems to suggest the illegal version of original exhaust meant othing. why did they do that?

turbof1

markp wrote:That this exhaust solution has been planned allalong it seems to suggest the illegal version of original exhaust meant othing. why did they do that?
Those fins would have worked too on the ramp. They probably were only testing it out of the exhaust air was kept under those small fins. I think if it was allowed we would see a fully enclosed tunnel (with the exception of the slot) on the ramp.
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob
beelsebob

markp wrote:That this exhaust solution has been planned allalong it seems to suggest the illegal version of original exhaust meant othing. why did they do that?
My bet is that they tested both in CFD and possibly in the tunnel, and that they felt that McLaren's solution was better if they could use the fins, but Sauber's otherwise.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

To stop the inevitable development of exhaust re-ingestion that other teams may have tried this season
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images