Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DAMNINice

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

Can anyone tell me why they still run those "ears" (closed air inlets for DRD on the airbox) when they are not even using the DRD??

Why aren't they using a slimmer Airbox Version without it?
It´s just making drag and turbulant air for the rear wing without any advantage. #-o
REal men play with twins!

Maxion
Maxion

DAMNINice wrote:Can anyone tell me why they still run those "ears" (closed air inlets for DRD on the airbox) when they are not even using the DRD??

It´s just making drag and turbulant air for the rear wing without any advantage. #-o

I think the theory going around is that the "ears" are molded into the chassis and can't be just removed. Why they've gone down this route is a bit odd if they're still unsure if they'll be able to run the DRD or not.

DAMNINice

Maxion wrote:
DAMNINice wrote:Can anyone tell me why they still run those "ears" (closed air inlets for DRD on the airbox) when they are not even using the DRD??

I think the theory going around is that the "ears" are molded into the chassis and can't be just removed. Why they've gone down this route is a bit odd if they're still unsure if they'll be able to run the DRD or not.
Thanks.. :roll:

I know that they are molded into it.. but even I could cut them off and close the hole with CF in my garage in 5 hours... And I´m not an F1 team!!!
REal men play with twins!

raymondu999

Perhaps the airbox roll structure is in the ears? Those are homologated.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

munudeges
munudeges

It's poor form of Lotus to be leaving something like that on if it isn't needed.

Isak
Isak

Obviously Lotus have found that the advantages of molding the ears into the roll hoop instead of using interchangeable parts outweight the disadvantages. Interchangeable panels are nothing new. Lotus knew from last year that they would not always use the DRD so hey designed the ears with this in mind.

I believe nothing on a modern F1 car didnt atleast have two different design paths with several different iterations. This was chosen as the best design for a reason. And reasons for choosing something in F1 are generally down to performance or reliability, or more often a mix of both.

My guess is that the weight of the system and hence CoG was that much lower if the ears were molded in that it outweighted the aero penalty.

korzeniow
korzeniow

DAMNINice wrote:
Thanks.. :roll:

I know that they are molded into it.. but even I could cut them off and close the hole with CF in my garage in 5 hours... And I´m not an F1 team!!!
You can't modify chassis at will. Unless you conduct new crash tests
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Blackout

Last edited by Blackout on 15 Mar 2013, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

stefan_
stefan_

Australia - Friday FP1 & FP 2 (15.03.2013)

High resolution: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Friday FP - 15/3/2013

korzeniow
korzeniow

Forza wrote:F1 Australian GP - Friday FP1 - 15/3/2013
http://i.imgur.com/gw2JzZW.jpg
Is it looks like a nail that was nailed trough this winglet.

It seems it's adjustable because there are three holes for this nail to go into
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

wesley123
wesley123

seems like a bit of a quick fix.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Saturday - 16/3/2013

Blackout

Very different bulkhead from last year. First time I see a steering rack placed inside the monocoque in a new F1.
Everything is hidden inside.

First time you see the internal bodywork of the Lotus inplace:
Looks different from the other teams to me... not as skinny, it's baggy but sleek