Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

What's interesting is how small AoA they run on the rear wing. It seems smaller than last year and is definitely a lot smaller than what the other teams run.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

wesley123 wrote:What's interesting is how small AoA they run on the rear wing. It seems smaller than last year and is definitely a lot smaller than what the other teams run.
Yes, it plays to their advantage the new DRS rules. RB is a highest DF car so they can afford to run the skinniest wing. The DRS delta is not that important anymore. Other teams cannot use the superior engine power to offset the DF deficit from now on.

atanatizante

wesley123 wrote:What's interesting is how small AoA they run on the rear wing. It seems smaller than last year and is definitely a lot smaller than what the other teams run.
It`s resemblance with Sauber`s very curved main plan RW but on lesser extent, thus making kind of optical illusion and you are deceived into believing that it has a small AoA, don`t you think?
Also if they have a Monza RW style and angle it doesn`t fit with their slowest top speed on the grid: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

Anyway what`s the benefit of having such a curved flap?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

wesley123
wesley123

No I'm not being deceived into that, it is actually running much less AoA on the rear wing.

Take a look to the others, they have the flap close to vertical, the Red Bull flap doesnt even come close to that
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

atanatizante

wesley123 wrote:No I'm not being deceived into that, it is actually running much less AoA on the rear wing.

Take a look to the others, they have the flap close to vertical, the Red Bull flap doesnt even come close to that
Then how could you explain their slowest top speed correlation with RW AoA ?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Friday FP - 15/3/2013

Nando
Nando

atanatizante wrote:
wesley123 wrote:No I'm not being deceived into that, it is actually running much less AoA on the rear wing.

Gearing.

The fact that they can get away running that little AoA is a sign of having an immense amount of rear downforce.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

gandharva

Nando wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

Gearing.
Yes, gearing and rake.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

A pic from teds "development corner" for comparison between RB and McL rear wing AoA:

What's even more interesting is that the Red Bulls still managed to be almost dead last in the speed traps.

As always, it seems everything about this team is fast into the corner and fast out. Any speed on the straights is a bonus :lol:

Cam

Great comparison pic. Really speaks volumes. That ethos has worked 3 times in a row. Why change when further refinements and subsequent gains are possible.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Huntresa
Huntresa

GrizzleBoy wrote:A pic from teds "development corner" for comparison between RB and McL rear wing AoA:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DCQ9 ... 160506.jpg

What's even more interesting is that the Red Bulls still managed to be almost dead last in the speed traps.

As always, it seems everything about this team is fast into the corner and fast out. Any speed on the straights is a bonus :lol:
Not just AoA tho, the entire RW is much smaller then the Mclaren one, as in aking towards smaller like in Canada or Monza but not as extreme but pretty extreme for this track

hollus

Everywhere you see a straight line in this car, it is either a structural part (suspension, roll hoop supports) or the limit of a regulation box. Almost everything else has at least a subtle curve to it, no aero surfaces are "planar". Every winglet curves, the louvers in the rear wing end plate curve, the pillars of the front wing are not perfectly vertical and bend a bit half way through... you don't see it to this extreme in other cars.
The only place where I can find an unnecessary straight line is in the separators inside the diffuser (bizarrely in one of the most important parts). Those seem to be exactly vertical for no apparent reason.
Rivals, not enemies.

RicerDude

hollus wrote:Everywhere you see a straight line in this car, it is either a structural part (suspension, roll hoop supports) or the limit of a regulation box. Almost everything else has at least a subtle curve to it, no aero surfaces are "planar". Every winglet curves, the louvers in the rear wing end plate curve, the pillars of the front wing are not perfectly vertical and bend a bit half way through... you don't see it to this extreme in other cars.
The only place where I can find an unnecessary straight line is in the separators inside the diffuser (bizarrely in one of the most important parts). Those seem to be exactly vertical for no apparent reason.
They are vertical on all cars, maybe its part of the regulations after they banned the DDD?

munudeges
munudeges

GrizzleBoy wrote:What's even more interesting is that the Red Bulls still managed to be almost dead last in the speed traps.
Speed trap figures can be misleading. It's not just the top speed you end up reaching but how fast you accelerate to your ultimate top speed. That seems to be what Red Bull and a lot of Renault powered teams concentrate on, since I think it's fair to say the Renault engine doesn't quite have the top end power of others. You see that at Monza and Spa.

shelly
shelly

Looking at this picture two things imprss me:

- how much the rear main wing is twisted - we see this twist on every other car, but on rbr it is more extreme (even comapared to last year, even if the purple painting plays a part of course)

-front brake ducts: ensotn pioneered the intake inside the rim solution, and last year williams pushed that idea further with the scoopless duct. This year williams has adde a scoop because of blown nut, lotus has just a smal traditional scoop, whereas rbr has a very big scoop, as big as it was in 2009-10, even if they are running the inside rim intake. Ferrari, mclarne etc follow a completelty different philosophy. Why? What gain does rbr find in keeping such big front brake scoops?
twitter: @armchair_aero