Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

kilcoo316 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:I'll explain it a bit better, because I believe they do, in fact, "stall" the diffuser.
I think that has been discussed at length in the past on here.

Its something else we disagree on!
We should start a tally! The real aerodynamicist vs. the eyeball aerodynamicst.

(For those who haven't guessed, I'm the latter.)

I'm interested in why you believe the tunnels won't choke, though. How can they move a steady stream of air at all speeds when the inlets are about 20 times larger than the vents?

Gridlock

Neno wrote:
Rikhart wrote:This BS about the "sparks" needs to stop, they were doing that all of last year as well. It´s nothing new, but since they won in dominant fashion, everyone is looking for "the secret".
i multiple time said same thing, but on mercedes topic after their good winter testing, now i am already myself bored repeating same thing. I'm glad I'm not not alone :mrgreen: =D> Well said =D>
If you don't think doing something no other car does and winning the race through an exceptional ability (tyre management) is irrelevant then fair enough, but it leaves your understanding of the scientific method open to questioning.

Correlation doesn't imply causation but if you have a better hypothesis to test then wheel it on out.

stefan_
stefan_

On the grid in AUSTRALIA

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

henra
henra

bhallg2k wrote: I'm interested in why you believe the tunnels won't choke, though. How can they move a steady stream of air at all speeds when the inlets are about 20 times larger than the vents?
I'm not kilcoo, but allow myself an attempt of answering that question:

There is choking and 'choking'.

The choking @kilcoo refers to would cause actually less airflow to go through the tunnel above a certain speed due to shock wave blocking. That won't happen at deep subsonic speeds.
And then there is the 'choking' in the figurative sense (That is the one you are referring to). That simply means that above a certain speed the drag (due to more and more turbulent flow) through the tunnel will mean that the speed and mass flow of the air through the tunnel will not increase much further despite the car going faster. Still it will move a (little) bit faster, so it is not really choking. It just appears to choke.

bhall
bhall

Fair enough. Thanks, henra.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that changes my idea about diffuser "stalling," though. If the blown starter motor hole serves to keep airflow attached to the center section of the diffuser, wouldn't a reduction in its velocity relative to airflow under the car still cause separation?

henra
henra

bhallg2k wrote: EDIT: I'm not sure how that changes my idea about diffuser "stalling," though. If the blown starter motor hole serves to keep airflow attached to the center section of the diffuser, wouldn't a reduction in its velocity relative to airflow under the car still cause separation?
Would? I'm not sure.
Could? potentially yes.

abw

stefan_ wrote:Malaysia 2013 - Wednesday (20.03.2013)

http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 670701.jpg
Has anyone been able to confirm/deny whether the E21 splitter is a sneaky aero-tube of some sort? It looks like it has a sensor wire (or zip-tie?) hanging out in this photo.

Nothing more to see, or worth further study?

zonk
zonk

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

That tube is too thick (fat) for just one wire. We've stopped talking about that because we have lack of images of that part. Well, we actually don't need images for that. I mean, that is tube for sure. I think it gets the air from somewhere on front. Then that air goes into floor. Where and how that air travels?I really don't know.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

wesley123
wesley123

MarkedOne8 wrote:That tube is too thick (fat) for just one wire. We've stopped talking about that because we have lack of images of that part. Well, we actually don't need images for that. I mean, that is tube for sure. I think it gets the air from somewhere on front. Then that air goes into floor. Where and how that air travels?I really don't know.
That tube is for sure? All I am seeing is a carbon structure with some metal part sticking out of it, which in no way looks like a tube, also I am seeing a wire sticking out of it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

abw

Posted in this thread on Feb 6 by Matt Somers--another picture of this bib/splitter/tea-tray "support" device.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCc7bLzCYAI33sA.jpg:large

Overdesigned strut?
Ordinary, but shapely strut?
Testing sensor?
Moving air from nose to floor? If so, exit point?
Reference pressure for "fluidic switch?"
Something even more exotic/crazy?
MacGuffin?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

wesley123 wrote:That tube is for sure? All I am seeing is a carbon structure with some metal part sticking out of it, which in no way looks like a tube, also I am seeing a wire sticking out of it.
That "metal structure"... how would you describe the shape of that metal structure? Maybe I shouldn't have called it a "tube", but its shape is obvious - it is cylindrical, just like most of the tubes.
Why would you put there so thick tube which would create unnecessary drag and turbulence for just housing one wire or small sensor?

Here are the renders of my quick 3D model representing my imagination/visualisation of that splitter thing (tube).

Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

kwanchepan
kwanchepan

seems like a precision adjustment

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2013 - Thursday (21.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985