Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

For reference.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Blackout wrote:Yes but is could be connected to the vertical splitter's hole which is used for cooling.
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 881.22.jpg
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 878.21.jpg

Maxion
Maxion

Aand easier to see, again:

zonk
zonk

amouzouris

I think that the hole in the splitter is connected to a pipe that makes a loop and directs air into the vertical bent splitter support to cool the driver's ****

aral
aral

amouzouris wrote:I think that the hole in the splitter is connected to a pipe that makes a loop and directs air into the vertical bent splitter support to cool the driver's ****
So! F1Tech censors the word "Ice cream"? :lol: :lol:

amouzouris

gilgen wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I think that the hole in the splitter is connected to a pipe that makes a loop and directs air into the vertical bent splitter support to cool the driver's ****
So! F1Tech censors the word "Ice cream"? :lol: :lol:
hah! I wrote the stars! :lol:

abw

So the splitter support is a tube that allows air to flow between the nose and the floor. Since we can see all the way through the hole where the support meets the floor in the photo where they are carrying the floor, it is likely that the support tube does not connect to the other internal-floor tube we see in that photo. That tube probably goes to the vertical splitter hole visible in the photo with the crane.

I'm having trouble shaking the thought that the support tube may be related to the "fluidic switch" needed to run a passive drag-reduction device. I obviously don't know, and apologize for ignorant speculation based on no data, but I imagine that there would be a benefit to having a linkage between the somewhat "predictable" air at the front of the car, and whatever airbox/ears/etc. ductwork forms the fluidic switch elsewhere.

At any rate, it is an interesting feature, and I hope we eventually learn more about it.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I agree with ebw. There is one wire cable in it, but I still think it is for air. If it is sensor, that should just go through the cockpit.

Anyway, lots of new things on this car for this weekend.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Maxion
Maxion

Just so it's a bit more clear, I drew the path of the air and combined the two shots...

That's quite an interesting flow for the air there...

I wonder what the green and the yellow holes are for, though.

wesley123
wesley123

Yes there is a wire through it, a metal structure and on it's connection on the floor there is a metal plate. imo it is to prevent splitter flex, that's all.

Also their barge board received an update. Instead of 4 panels the last 2 panels now also are partially split up, as well as it's tips are raised. Imo this bargeboard shows that it was much more about the vortices these tips shed than "preventing bargeboard stall", which doesnt really happen anyways since everything behind the barge board follows the same direction.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

Maxion wrote:Just so it's a bit more clear, I drew the path of the air and combined the two shots...

That's quite an interesting flow for the air there...

I wonder what the green and the yellow holes are for, though.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77620/tubesnholes.jpg
The yellow holes are for sucking more air under the floor, they go into a small tunnel which exits just before the main floor begins. They're pretty common on almost all designs.

I don't believe the red hole does what you think it does, there's way too many bends there, and way more ways of cooling the driver. On the other hand, I have no idea what it is doing.

Blackout

Green 'holes' are not holes. those are just reflections on the second laser pod.
Yellow holes are not new and they direct air under the floor.

Maxion
Maxion

beelsebob wrote:I don't believe the red hole does what you think it does, there's way too many bends there, and way more ways of cooling the driver. On the other hand, I have no idea what it is doing.
If you check the floor photo and the original one it's quite clear that the splitter support is hollow and that it's connected to the hole highlighted in that photo.

Blackout

That pipe is connected to the vertical splitter's hole which is used for cooling.
zonk wrote:Image
Last edited by Blackout on 21 Mar 2013, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.