Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F138

F1 Malaysian GP - Thursday - 21/3/2013

hichamo
hichamo

hello everyone,
it's my first time here and i hv to say this is the best technical f1 site ever.
anyone noticed the opening on the side of the exhaust?? that little U shape.
it was closed in australia, do u guys think its legal to leave it open??

alessio

Hello everyone! I would like to share with you that the Facebook user "F-Centotrentotto Ferrari"(http://www.facebook.com/fcentotrentotto ... ef=tn_tnmn) regularly publishes all pictures of F138 well organized by date. To display them you have add it to your friends.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hichamo wrote:hello everyone,
it's my first time here and i hv to say this is the best technical f1 site ever.
Yes, there are many holes on an F1 car to let out hot air from cooling.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Forza Ferrari
Forza Ferrari

So apparently,no shark mouth for this gp either... wondering why ?
could it be that it's not satisfying yet and they need time to refine it,or do you think they will add it on the car later this week end ??

.poz
.poz

Looking at image above, it seems like that there are two separate air inlet and two separate air duct going inside the wheel.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

One for caliper, one for disk.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

cemax
cemax

Yes, one for caliper, one for disk. Poz, If you see brake cooling systems.
http://angelesenlacabeza.blogspot.com.e ... intos.html

Mr.G

I have one question regarding the rear tires temperature sensors - why are they from top? Can they be mounted from bottom side of the floor?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

tpe
tpe

No shark mouth, again.

F1.Ru

Hey welcome to F1technical, hope you are talking about this pic Image

The opening outside of the exhaust is merely to cope with more heat and hot temp of Malaysia, so they open the cutout part which will help to provide additional exit for the radiators and thus provide faster cooling. another things is that as they positioned outside the exhaust thus it will not interfere with the exhaust plum rather will assist it towards the rear end. :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Nando
Nando

I wonder if they are not playing with the idea to just connect the sidepods with the floor. I mean the job is 80% done already :)

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

F1.Ru

Crabbia wrote:
Low_drag wrote:Ok, I agree it's not a bolt, but a sensor of some sort, yes. Is it an IR camera, No. Is it an IR sensor for pin point measure ment on tire temp, plausible. I wonder where the sensors are for rear tire temps if they are collecting real time temp's.
One possible location for the rear tyre temp sensors is here:http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 296.94.jpg
On the floor, ahead of the rear tyre there is a elliptical "bubble" with the rear face of the bubble cut out. I think the rear face is cut out cause the sensor pointing out of that face. I haven't seen a shot of it with that face front on to confirm though.
This pic is a bit grainy but it you can see what I mean:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEbUqldCMAA2b6g.jpg:large

And agreed I will call it a IR sensor from now on. Although i still think it is giving them 2D images in real time of the heat buildup and dissipation across the outer face of the tyre and not just point temperature readings but we can agree to disagree on that one no?
Just look at the pic from Lotus and now look at the part ahead of rear tyre from where the coaxial cable is protruding.

you will find the rear IR sensor in F138 just after the hubolt logo of this pic

Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

hichamo
hichamo

F1.Ru wrote:
Hey welcome to F1technical, hope you are talking about this pic http://i.imgur.com/1YarXxW.jpg

The opening outside of the exhaust is merely to cope with more heat and hot temp of Malaysia, so they open the cutout part which will help to provide additional exit for the radiators and thus provide faster cooling. another things is that as they positioned outside the exhaust thus it will not interfere with the exhaust plum rather will assist it towards the rear end. :D
thx,
yes , i was trying to know if it complies with the regulation, i got the answer now, thx.
about the shark mouth, why ferrari isn't using it yet, i know australia was kinda cold, but sepang is almost hell for the driver, so if we dont see it there, imo, it is not for driver cooling, rather aero to me.do you guys agree??

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Thursday - 21/3/2013

HiRes via F1.nl
Front brake ducts - http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 073.33.jpg
Last edited by Forza on 21 Mar 2013, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.