Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

@zonk

A cable connects it to the car

Blackout

Blackout

Old diffuser
New diffuser

dren

Full length gurney. I don't see anything else different.
Honda!

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Saturday - 23/3/2013

Maxion
Maxion

Kimi problems with gearbox / hydraulics in Q3?

https://twitter.com/F1PitRadio/status/3 ... 2469773313
f1pitradio twitter wrote:Kimi told to stay in one gear to maintain hydraulic pressure, "do not upshift or downshift"

Huntresa
Huntresa

Can we assume all the updates they brought, FW, Diffuser and sidepod/exhaust worked since it was all used on Kimis car?

To me thats a good sign when you can bolt on 3 updates and they actually do what you thought they would do coming from CFD and Windtunnel.

Kolin68
Kolin68

munudeges
munudeges

Last edited by munudeges on 23 Mar 2013, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Steven
Owner

Huntresa wrote:Can we assume all the updates they brought, FW, Diffuser and sidepod/exhaust worked since it was all used on Kimis car?

To me thats a good sign when you can bolt on 3 updates and they actually do what you thought they would do coming from CFD and Windtunnel.
Yes, as confirmed by James Alisson yesterday
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/18261

sucof

Anybody notice that they still run with the two bulge for the passive drs while they are not in use?
Why is that? I think these bulges are pretty much influence air around the roll hoop, and air which goes to the rear wing in a negative way.
So why leave this there?? Or they found that it has a positive effect somehow?

Coefficient
Coefficient

sucof wrote:Anybody notice that they still run with the two bulge for the passive drs while they are not in use?
Why is that? I think these bulges are pretty much influence air around the roll hoop, and air which goes to the rear wing in a negative way.
I think the ears are designed into the chassis this year so they can't remove them as the chassis is homologated so they just cover them up and try to keep them as neutral as possible.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

sucof

Good point, though I do not see the advantage of building these in to the chassis, especially since they should be aware of that they will not use it all the time.
For example they said the modesty panel is too heavy.... this is much higher and at least the same weight as a modesty panel if not more.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Coefficient wrote:
sucof wrote:Anybody notice that they still run with the two bulge for the passive drs while they are not in use?
I think the ears are designed into the chassis this year so they can't remove them as the chassis is homologated so they just cover them up and try to keep them as neutral as possible.
Chassis are no longer homologated since last year, you just have to pass the crash tests again etc, thats all.

Paul

I guess they thought they learned enough about the system to use it everywhere, maybe they had what they considered a breakthrough during the post-season, but learned subsequently that wasn't the case... I don't quite remember, did they open the ducts early in the testing?