Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gridlock

Re: Ferrari F138

It wasn't as revealing as I'd hoped but here's a couple of frames anyway, for the record

The FW took a big long narrow section off the underneath of the nose, the length pointed out by arrows. It's more obvious in the frame-by-frame.

timbo
timbo

Of course, as the tip of the nose is modesty panel.

beelsebob
beelsebob

timbo wrote:Of course, as the tip of the nose is modesty panel.
No, the *upper* side is the modesty panel. The tip of the nose is meant to be the crash structure, and strong enough to actually absorb some energy from a crash.

timbo
timbo

beelsebob wrote:
timbo wrote:Of course, as the tip of the nose is modesty panel.
No, the *upper* side is the modesty panel. The tip of the nose is meant to be the crash structure, and strong enough to actually absorb some energy from a crash.
The tip of the nose is higher than where actual nose can be. Anyway, from the pics it is clear that top of the nose incl tip is not bearing loads from the front wing, as it should be.

bhall
bhall

timbo was correct here. The tip of the structural nose is behind and below (or inside) that of the one on the modesty panel. It's an exploitation of this rule:

With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.

The external surface of any longitudinal or lateral cross section taken through the above
fairing may contain no concave radius of curvature less than 50mm.

EDIT: The top number should, of course, be 625. It wasn't a typo. The 2 just pissed me off, and I couldn't in good conscience put it ahead of the 5, which hasn't done me any harm...lately. :D )

Last edited by bhall on 27 Mar 2013, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

So they are using the trick scarbs wrote about pre season?

bhall
bhall

Yep. Williams, too.

turbof1

I think the pylons are still placed on the actual nose cone.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:I think the pylons are still placed on the actual nose cone.
agreed. The construction behind the vanity panel, IMO, would never have held that wing in place with that remaining wing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kalsi
Kalsi

That FW is way too rigid if you look at the way it pratically "cut" off the left pillar as it remained attached to the right one...
I start to wonder if RedBull started to develop flexy wings for this purpose too... i want to remember you guys the races in Abu Dhabi last and Brasil season... when Vettel's front wing had got probably a worse hit and only some of the little mini-wings over it were gone... but the wing was still perfectly there... Their FW flexibility can be a weapon in this way: being a more tanky car in those situation where an accident like that can happen...
My question is now.... "Being known that RB wing is by fact made by some sort of a so rubbery material, why ferrari wont
develop a similar thing too?"
By looking at the pictures all that comes to my mind is: if you blow a kiss to it you will crack it...

bhall
bhall

turbof1 wrote:I think the pylons are still placed on the actual nose cone.
I think you're right. The load-bearing portion of the pylons does attach to the structural nose. The forward face of the pylons - down to a certain point - is part of the one-piece modesty panel in order for the whole solution of an effectively higher nose to satisfy 3.7.9's minimum concave radius requirements as well as the regulations which govern the placement of the wing.

beelsebob
beelsebob

bhallg2k wrote:timbo was correct here. The tip of the structural nose is behind and below (or inside) that of the one on the modesty panel. It's an exploitation of this rule:

With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.

The external surface of any longitudinal or lateral cross section taken through the above
fairing may contain no concave radius of curvature less than 50mm.

http://i.imgur.com/cb55oea.jpg
Note the "non structural" in the rule – that means the front wing can not be attached to it... that would make it part of the car's structure.

bhall
bhall

The portion of the modesty panel that covers the pylons is superficial to them in the same way it's superficial to the structural nose. It must cover them to a degree, though, in order to create an effectively higher nose, as the team intends, and satisfy all the pertinent regulations for the panel, nose, wing, etc.

Huntresa
Huntresa

So i was correct when i said they used the trick back when this car was rlsed...

McG

Huntresa wrote:So i was correct when i said they used the trick back when this car was rlsed...
Well done.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.