Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

Isn't it April's fool?

If it isn't April's fool... then...
Hahahahahahahahah moveable aero device ahahahahaha

Really, they should force the teams to tighten their drivers in seats so they can't move even a little bit or they would be considered as movable aero devices. Rigged FIA/F1. =D>
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

munudeges
munudeges

I fear this has a political wiff about it........

hollus

Why? It is flexible, it moves and it is clearly in the airflow. External to the rest of the skin of the car. It can move in response to suspension movements and likely also in response to air speed. Allow it around suspension gaps in the monocoque, and sit and watch how long it takes for it to appear around brake winglets, inside sidepods in-and-outlets, T-trays...

It is for once refreshing to see the FIA think of movable aero about something that is a) visible b) designed to change shape and position. It has no other function than to smooth airflow.

That is the very definition of flexible aero, and I haven't seen it, to this extent, in other cars. It might or might not be correct, but it is reasonable and understandable that this might be considered flexible aero, and there is no need to invoke political motives here. Lotus also hasn't exactly run away from the field.
Rivals, not enemies.

Kansas
Kansas

Jennie Gow ‏@JennieGow 13m
Have spoken to Lotus and Merc who say FIA splitter story is just that - a story! Both teams passed tests and no changes to make. #F1

quidam
quidam

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 1 h
#F1 I can confirm what @JennieGow wrote. Neither Lotus & Mercedes nor Red Bull was asked to change the splitter. So everybody calm down!
1st April :)

Kansas
Kansas

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... dates.html

James Allison said wet pace remain their weakest area, and it was down to the rear wing not capable of generating enough output to switch on the wet tyres.

EDIT:

and he said they would have to sulk it up until they came out with a RW that generate enough DW. ROFL

turbof1

They perhaps went for a lower drag/lower DF rear wing and rely on the diffuser to do more work.
#AeroFrodo

BoBee
BoBee

He also said they will have some new bits on the car apart from the same exhaust package for Grosjean. Do you think they can finally run passive DRS here?
I have a feeling that The Device is just a smoke curtain and Lotus is working on something else but i might be completely wrong.

Huntresa
Huntresa

BoBee wrote:He also said they will have some new bits on the car apart from the same exhaust package for Grosjean. Do you think they can finally run passive DRS here?
I have a feeling that The Device is just a smoke curtain and Lotus is working on something else but i might be completely wrong.
Yeah cause F1 teams are in a position to spend money on something that is just smoke...

BoBee
BoBee

Huntresa wrote:
BoBee wrote:He also said they will have some new bits on the car apart from the same exhaust package for Grosjean. Do you think they can finally run passive DRS here?
Yeah cause F1 teams are in a position to spend money on something that is just smoke...
Well, they didnt run the full spec passive DRS at any time in preseason tests and that is looking a bit suspicious to me

Huntresa
Huntresa

BoBee wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Well, they didnt run the full spec passive DRS at any time in preseason tests and that is looking a bit suspicious to me
Yes they did.

quidam
quidam

They have priorities for upgrades and the DRD is not ahead. Better to improve the DF of the car with the exhausts, front wing etc...than the DRD ( more complex).

AnthonyG

Huntresa wrote:
Return on investment is higher the later other teams figure out what you're doing.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

BoBee
BoBee

Yeah cause F1 teams are in a position to spend money on something that is just smoke...[/quote]
Well, they didnt run the full spec passive DRS at any time in preseason tests and that is looking a bit suspicious to me[/quote]

Yes they did.[/quote]

Well. i would argue with that. I never seen the "full set" on the car at any time of testing nor seen any press articles. They always had something but not what we consider as The Device as whole. Would you mind to recall any pictures or info about it as im getting confused.

zonk
zonk

there You go...

F1 testing - BCN T03- Day 1

or go back to page 43