Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jackles-UK

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Could that duct be used to channel almost entirely unobstructed air from below the roll hoop through the hot air exit and onto the monkey seat/beam wing? Might give a bit more high-speed downforce whilst also cooling something by proxy (likely the gearbox) with the rushing air?

wesley123
wesley123

It wouldnt give more downforce.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

Wouldnt that give less downforce and also destroy the whole porupose of the monkey seat, in its helping attach the flow on the RW

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Jackles-UK wrote:Could that duct be used to channel almost entirely unobstructed air from below the roll hoop through the hot air exit and onto the monkey seat/beam wing? Might give a bit more high-speed downforce whilst also cooling something by proxy (likely the gearbox) with the rushing air?
Ducting air through twisty bodywork doesn't keep it "unobstructed".
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Friday (10.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

marcush.
marcush.

i still have issues with these flow sensor grids...aren´t those relying all them on non turbulent flow fields and are very sensitive to orientation as well as temperature ? This all looks very tricky stuff to me considering the environment you are in plus the change of conditions you produce by introducing the grid and its ancilliaries -just look at that huge box mounted to the endplate ..

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

marcush. wrote:i still have issues with these flow sensor grids...aren´t those relying all them on non turbulent flow fields and are very sensitive to orientation as well as temperature ? This all looks very tricky stuff to me considering the environment you are in plus the change of conditions you produce by introducing the grid and its ancilliaries -just look at that huge box mounted to the endplate ..
Most of the time it's downwind and not a problem. Generally you're looking for correlation rather than actually learning about the flow, so it's not a difficult job to add the box into CFD and use those numbers.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

marcush.
marcush.

But you correlate a modified experiment ,don´t you? so where does that proof your concept without the array does correlate as well? I´d think if it all were that easy ,Aero would be a perfect predictable science right now -which it isn´t at least not when you are after the minute changes ..point is your array may have bigger influence on what ´s happening in that area than your modifications to the car as you want to race it.So filtering out these effects ....good luck ,I don´t buy it.It´s useless crap to me ,as is the flowwiz voodoo (where is the sense of applying a liquid to a surface and then go around a circuit at x speeds ,x-acceölerations and completly unpredictable influences ? I never saw any team actually video capturing their flowviz runs on track which would make it all a lot more worthwhile doing ....half baked ideas monkey see monkey do..

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Saturday (11.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Tyre Squirt Slot added to the RB9 (Not sure if it's on both cars yet)

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Saturday (11.05.2013)

Flow viz during FP3

CHT
CHT

didnt know the stuffs in there is so complex. Is that just for the DRS wing flap?

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/202/redbo.jpg

shelly
shelly

No, its the scanner for the pressure probes of the rake they run in practice (see pictures and posts above)
twitter: @armchair_aero

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

No, that is connected to the aero testing rig behind the car. You can see one of the pitot tubes in the back of the picture.

Edit: I'm agreeing with shelly
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henra
henra

marcush. wrote:But you correlate a modified experiment ,don´t you?
and
good luck ,I don´t buy it.It´s useless crap to me ,as is the flowwiz voodoo (where is the sense of applying a liquid to a surface and then go around a circuit at x speeds ,x-acceölerations and completly unpredictable influences ? I never saw any team actually video capturing their flowviz runs on track which would make it all a lot more worthwhile doing
That's exactly what I was wondering also (referring to both - the pitot arrays and the flow viz).

That massive grid will have significant effects upstream and will yet only measure individual (read fluctuating) data in a turbulent flow. So two effects that make me both wonder what you can really read from the results.

And for the flow- viz: For what speed do you want to determine the actual flow? I'm pretty sure that the local speed and direction in an area passed by a rotating vortex will change so much that at the end of one lap you only have a big mixture of traces. It might work if you want to identify if flow separation occurs under any circumstance at a given location but beyond that? I don't see how you could correlate certain elements of a flowviz trace with a certain speed or behaviour of the car in a certain condition !?