Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Ferrari F138

Craig Scarborough wrote:Canadian GP technical round-up

FERRARI F-138

The weather interfered with Ferrari's running of a new aero package during the Spanish Grand Prix and the parts appeared again during Friday practice in Canada. Joining the previously-tested revised front wing mounts, Coanda sidepods and sidepod vanes, was a new front wing design along with a chin being fitted under the nose. Throughout practice, the team ran back-to-back tests with differing set-ups. It's not clear what will be used for qualifying and the race here.The front wing is the most interesting part. The cascade winglet mounted to the wing's endplate has completely changed. Rather than being a horizontal wing, the element is now curved such that it meets the wing in an 'r' shape.

The revised cascade wing will probably create downforce, but the change is more likely to be about modifying the way the winglet bends the airflow around the outside of the front tyre. The new outer vertical section of the winglet will be quite effective at turning the airflow .Further aiding front end airflow is the small chin below the nose. Most teams have these 'pelican' or 'pregnant' bulges under the nosecone. They work with the neutral wing shape in the middle of the wing and the wings mounts to alter the airflow back along the edges of the car.

I'm told these chins also add downforce to the front end even though their design is counterintuitive at first sight, as it appears they would add lift not downforce.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

kosioBG

I wouldn't say this is a "completely" new front wing. Just the cascade flaps are new, the other components are the same, aren't they?

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:I wouldn't say this is a "completely" new front wing. Just the cascade flaps are new, the other components are the same, aren't they?
yep, just the cascades are new
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

wesley123
wesley123

The front wing might not be "completely new" but expect a huge change in airflow in this area. Though the change might not look so big on the eye, in terms of performance it takes a much larger change, and possibly more potential
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

stefan_
stefan_

Definitely the airflow around there has changed a lot because the air is "attaked" in a different way and I presume they thought a lot and made lots of simulations before adopting this solution that apparently works.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

shelly
shelly

fantastic find from f300v10 and magnfication by sectorone. In my opinion this tiny vortex is generated by one of the strakes below the flap
twitter: @armchair_aero

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yeah that's an incredible shot, nice catch.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

turbof1

shelly wrote:
fantastic find from f300v10 and magnfication by sectorone. In my opinion this tiny vortex is generated by one of the strakes below the flap
It is actually quite a big vortex. There are numerous vortices around the car, almost none are visible. That one there is a very strong vortex. And it seems to be working, acting like a shield to stop normal airflow from bouncing on the wheel. Ferrari might complain about aero dominating f1 these days, they have creating a true masterpiece of aero there.
#AeroFrodo

Kiril Varbanov

turbof1 wrote:Ferrari might complain about aero dominating f1 these days, they have creating a true masterpiece of aero there.
The number of aero developments on the F138 is actually quite impressive, and it was expected, to some extent, according to ex-Ferrari engineer I've talked in pre-season. Personally I wasn't expecting such large number of aero details, given the previous conservatism driven by the lack of tools, namely wind tunnel. Looks like the Cologne-Toyota move has started paying dividends. I'm counting 8 areas of aero developments at prima vista.

RGV_Rider
RGV_Rider

shelly wrote:
i have tried to get the starting point of the vortex.. if you look close to the right wheel you could see it.. :D

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

shelly
shelly

turbof1 wrote:
shelly wrote:
It is actually quite a big vortex. There are numerous vortices around the car, almost none are visible. That one there is a very strong vortex. And it seems to be working, acting like a shield to stop normal airflow from bouncing on the wheel. Ferrari might complain about aero dominating f1 these days, they have creating a true masterpiece of aero there.
I think this is tiny compared to the y250 vortex , bargeboard vortex or fwep vortex - I have tried to collect all this type of pictures in the "wing aero " thread (http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=14939) and there are bigger vortices

As far as the origin edge, it could be the cascade, like rGV_rider pointed out - but to me it seems too close to the tyre for being it, that's why I thought about the strake, but I may be wrong. I hope we will have more pictures like this to learn more
twitter: @armchair_aero

Kiril Varbanov

Piola with video on F138 brakes.

Huntresa
Huntresa

As far as the origin edge, it could be the cascade, like rGV_rider pointed out - but to me it seems too close to the tyre for being it, that's why I thought about the strake, but I may be wrong. I hope we will have more pictures like this to learn more
But the strakes are closer and i dont think they would bend up like that, i mean the whole cascade is shaped to move air upwards and around or just upwards and over.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The new F138 FW & new brake/brake duct analysis from Gary Anderson.

via AutoSport

via AutoSport