Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

New front wing, the small slot in the end plate is new.

Also the new nose seems much higher and thinner compared to previous solution
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aral
aral

I have seen that small slot in the end plate before.

Re the nose, do you mean NARROWER? As the nose appears to be considerably thicker than before.

Huntresa
Huntresa

gilgen wrote:I have seen that small slot in the end plate before.

Re the nose, do you mean NARROWER? As the nose appears to be considerably thicker than before.
The nose doesnt dip down. Its flat and straight forward and much more square like Merc new nose at Nurburg i think they introduced theirs.

This is the nose at Hungary, dipping down and with cameras at front.

compared to this weeks nose

turbof1

The nose tip even seems to be bending slightly upwards, very slightly.

I am not totally sure, but it looks to me like they reduced sidepod area. This one is from the YDT:

The topside of the sidepods look smaller.
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New triple element main cascade on the RB9 used by WEB today

New FWEP, notice small inlets towards leading edge

Both images via OmniCorse/Piola

emmepi27
emmepi27

OLD diffuser for Vettel in FP3

timbo
timbo

It seems today they went back to the old nose shape.

emmepi27
emmepi27

No, they have the new nose now (slim ad high)

stefan_
stefan_

Belgium 2013 - Saturday (24.08.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

Impressive pace from RBR with seemingly small, but apparently winning amount of updates.
As Steven writes on the development blog, Red Bull manages to retain consistency of performance under different setups.

My analysis on the situation:
- Not touching the profile of the front wing simply means you are OK with its L/D ratio, and you are confident enough to make only modifications at the back, which at the same time do not alter the car's handling as a whole.

- The downforce generated by the rear wing accounts for about 35-45% of the total car's values. Sacrificing some of it means you are able to extract about the same numbers from the underside, which does include both diffuser and floor's leading edge.

- Reducing the rear wing profile towards what is obviously less-downforce wing without changing the diffuser itself means that you have got plenty of downforce from that relatively drag-free device anyway.

- At the same time, a higher and slimmer nose tip has been introduced, without the pelican bulge. This, in theory, should mean front airflow less manageable, but more as a quantity. This air reaches the bardgeboards and the leading edge of the floor.
This is an important place for downforce generation, as it is ahead of the car's Center of Gravity, but close to the Center of Pressure. The leading edge of the floor will be generating vortex formations that will then spin down underneath the floor, along the edge of the reference plane. This reduces the total pressure under the floor and gives you downforce.

- Back to the rear wing, one more evidence that the diffuser-extracted downforce is quite simply excellent with RBR is the known fact that the rear wing works in conjunction with the diffuser - it 'feeds' him. The reduced downforce from the rear wing means again that RBR are lavishly happy with the DF generated by the diffuser.

- The consistency of the setup is largely outlined by the fact that the center of pressure is highly changed from both diffuser and leading edge downforce generation, which does not reflect on the overall car's handling characteristics, as it seems. Vettel was enormously happy with the car, as it was evident from his first radio message after the win.

Based on all these and the fact that the rest of the teams are flip-flopping in setup configs, we can definitely count on RBR for 4-th title in a row. Achieving such consistency and development rate after the middle of the season is a serious query to the title.

astracrazy
astracrazy

in a way i get what you are saying but most of me don't

i can't get my head around how the car can still be balanced with a hungry wing and a spa wing but still keeping the aoa for the front with the same. It seems there should be a lot of downforce being lost at the rear but there isn't and thats the bit i don't understand because the rear wing is responsible for so much

its obviously something new though for the team because usually they struggle at these low downforce tracks, but it also explains why they have been running shallower rear wings than other teams (silverstone is a good example).

turbof1

Somehow they are able to manage it. Earlier in the season they ran also smaller RW profiles. Last year they were able to stall the beam wing (double drs) and use DRS, going through 130R without any instability. Like Kiril mentioned, their diffuser and floor must be producing tremendous amounts of downforce to be able to keep the aero balance in check. Sending a bit more air volume to it through a higher nose does aid a bit, but certainly isn't everything.

I wonder if they aren't hampered by front wing DF limits, unlike other teams who have troubles adding it to the rear... .
#AeroFrodo

henra
henra

astracrazy wrote: i can't get my head around how the car can still be balanced with a hungry wing and a spa wing but still keeping the aoa for the front with the same. It seems there should be a lot of downforce being lost at the rear but there isn't and thats the bit i don't understand because the rear wing is responsible for so much
You have to take into consideration that they have raised the nose though.
This will shift the df bias somewhat to the rear of the car.
I'm a bit suprised it worked that well though since you need to get the air to the rear/diffuser w/o too much obstruction.
Seems their actual ramp/tunnel could deal with a bit more airflow around the sides than they used before.
Or they managed to get more airflow underneath the sidepods and floor.
Anyone seen any significant changes in the barge board/floor leading edge area?

el-Magico
el-Magico

Reply at something said on THIS PAGE
diffuser wrote: Dude! Go to http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/ choose the track, they tell you what the average speed is of a corner. Read analysis of the track before the GP. They explain the track. After qualifying (if you're not using anything else while watching, I use F1LT) go to http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html. It's not an exact thing but it gives you an idea. You can see that Vettel is 3ird at the speed trap, if you look at previous races, he's usually near the bottom.
But dear 'friend' diffuser, the speed trap in SPA is at Raidillon and not at the end of Kemmel Straight..
probably you don't understand the clue here; but a faster accelerating car (Red Bull) can reach a higher 'top speed' at shorter distance, then a car (Ferrari) that is set to have a high top speed at the end of the straight.. due to hitting the rev. limiter at an earlier state.
(La Source Hairpin -> Raidillon) vs. (La Source Hairpin -> Kemmel straight)
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Spa development analysis from GA.

via AutoSport

via AutoSport