Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Ferrari F14T

donskar wrote: Who provides the M-B turbo?
I think i somewhere read that MB builds their Turbos In House. But i'm not sure about that.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

henra
henra

Owen.C93 wrote:Sounds like Ferrari fans grasping at straws and trying to blame the only supplier they know of, in this case Honeywell has been the only confirmed 2014 Turbo manufacturer.
Having seen the performance of the Merc without ERS in Canada and the relative Performance between the Teams at the relatively high altitude in Austria, I at least partially agree that the Turbo could be a (big) part of the mess at Ferrari and even more so Renault.

Pierce89

Thunders wrote:
I think i somewhere read that MB builds their Turbos In House. But i'm not sure about that.
I can't remember the supplier, but they're not built in house. We have the supplier in some of the threads here.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

motobaleno

Pierce89 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
I can't remember the supplier, but they're not built in house. We have the supplier in some of the threads here.
Basically mercedes bought the whole IHI facility...

diffuser

Re: R: Ferrari F14T

charlex wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Sounds like Ferrari fans grasping at straws and trying to blame the only supplier they know of, in this case Honeywell has been the only confirmed 2014 Turbo manufacturer.
Marmorini is not a Ferrari fan but engine chief. This is the link with translation
https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... tCg_geQjgQ

I'll say one thing about autospint, they're well plugged in. They were saying back in May that Ferrari had a Radiator in the V and that it was a problem cause they were space restricted and they were having cooling problems. Which all came out in Canada. They've been trying to get that tight red dress on that car for a while ...apperently.

PlatinumZealot

charlex wrote:new turbo supplier in 2015? Ferrari say Honeywell's turbo (made in u.s.) is one of the p.unit weaknesses
http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... 015/16665/
They running a Garret T3/T4 ? haha Should have got the GT 40R..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Pierce89 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
Maybe KKK or Borg Warner...
I think it is quite reasonable for a race team to design their own Compressor wheels and housings.. The Turbine wheel and centre cartidge is whole 'nother ball game though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

monsi
monsi

Seriously, so Ferrari are blaming their turbine supplier when their design team has selected the wrong model turbine from the range available to them ?? Bet that goes down well with their suppliers ...

Jashko
Jashko

Hey guys, could someone pls explain something to me because I'm left baffled with this.

Aren't performance wise changes banned? As I see it, for the next year they are allowed only to change something reliability wise, does that mean, if they indeed change the turbo suplier, the turbo has to have same specifications as the previous one, just output will be different?

Is this allowed?

aleks_ader

Jashko wrote:Hey guys, could someone pls explain something to me because I'm left baffled with this.

Aren't performance wise changes banned? As I see it, for the next year they are allowed only to change something reliability wise, does that mean, if they indeed change the turbo suplier, the turbo has to have same specifications as the previous one, just output will be different?

Is this allowed?
No no realibilty changes are forbiteds for Midseason only. Not end of the year. Even performance changes are restricted year by year. So the all point is that FIA allow engine manufacturers to gradually get to the optimum PU ready for total freeze in 2018.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

FW17

aleks_ader wrote:
Jashko wrote:Hey guys, could someone pls explain something to me because I'm left baffled with this.

Is this allowed?
No no realibilty changes are forbiteds for Midseason only. Not end of the year. Even performance changes are restricted year by year. So the all point is that FIA allow engine manufacturers to gradually get to the optimum PU ready for total freeze in 2018.
Maybe Ferrari can prove that the size of the turbo for the current engine performance makes it unreliable/unsafe hence new size (and make) required

MOWOG

Maybe Ferrari can prove that the size of the turbo for the current engine performance makes it unreliable/unsafe
That should be easy. The car's are so slow, they are in danger of being rammed from behind! :lol:

The current rules package is a load of steaming horse puckey. Introducing a completely new set of engine rules then preventing any upgrades to the engines is utter madness. Better the sport should ban any aero upgrades after the first race and leave engine development free.

What we have is institutionalized insanity. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Jashko
Jashko

MOWOG wrote:
Maybe Ferrari can prove that the size of the turbo for the current engine performance makes it unreliable/unsafe
That should be easy. The car's are so slow, they are in danger of being rammed from behind! :lol:

The current rules package is a load of steaming horse puckey. Introducing a completely new set of engine rules then preventing any upgrades to the engines is utter madness. Better the sport should ban any aero upgrades after the first race and leave engine development free.

What we have is institutionalized insanity. :wtf:
I could not agree more.

But I do not understand the regulations or the answer to my post that was given by Aleks_ader.

Engine developments are banned? Just the reliability issues can be addressed?

How can they change the turbo then...

Mods sorry, these all are just speculations, we all know that autosprint is italian magazine, and Italians are just...well, italians...

On the actual car, I really cannot understand how all ferrari cars of recent are such poor in traction zones, this year this has to be the engine characteristic...is it possible that this can be solved solely with aero, we saw those new strakes on rear brakes..

FW17

MOWOG wrote:
I wrote it as a joke but cant it be proven that parts turbine and compressor fail because they are undersized hence need be changed ? It is well known that the stresses on a small turbo are lot higher than a large turbo :mrgreen:

Kiril Varbanov

AMuS has a story on Ferrari's turbo, but I'd like to avoid speculations, as Google translate isn't really good at this.
This is the link to the article - http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 40355.html

Would someone fluent or German native care to translate the interesting parts? That'll be great.