2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

Did anyone catch the article about alonso on the front page, does anyone have the faintest idea what he is talking about lol.

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:This is a golden ticket for Mercedes,

- Red Bull lost Vettel and will lose Newey from his current position, addition of a somewhat inexperienced driver that was the 2nd best STR driver.
Wasn't it said Newey will still 100% design RB11?

SectorOne

Unless i´ve misread he will design the car then let the team follow up with modifications during the year.
So just the birth of it as far as i understood it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jeffsvilleusa

It may mean nothing at this point, but when Alonso started racing for Ferrari he said it would be the last team he would race for.

Interview from October 2009:
Q: You have already left Renault and come back. Do you think you will come back again?
FA: It is impossible to say impossible, but I really think that Ferrari will be my last team. Leaving Ferrari to change team is always a step backwards. Ferrari is more than a team, and I want to leave Formula One from there.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 10023.html
Box! Box!

mikeerfol

Five years is SUCH a long time...

CBeck113
CBeck113

Gaz. wrote: A lot of Mercedes reliability issues should be ironed out too, especially any finger trouble.
Yeah, he'll probably be sitting in a Ferrari - two birds with one stone ;-)
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

smr
smr

What's niggling me is his interview with Sky Sports before the Japanese race where he said "you should know what I'm going to do, I've been planning it for months, all the signs have been there and the clues"

The only thing I can think of is this...

He hasn't hinted at Mclaren/Honda at all, not once from what I can remember, or any sort of Japanese reference, the only thing linking him to Japan is a Samurai Warrior Tattoo covering his back.

He hasn't hinted at Mercedes or anyother F1 team

He HAS tried to make a go of his cycling club/team which would need millions and time.

But then when you read @Pitlanetalk's tweets they are thoroughly convinced, to the point that they'll delete their twitter account if they are wrong, that he Alonso has already signed a deal with Mclaren on the Singapore Grand Prix weekend.

Andres125sx

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:It may mean nothing at this point, but when Alonso started racing for Ferrari he said it would be the last team he would race for.

Interview from October 2009:
Q: You have already left Renault and come back. Do you think you will come back again?
FA: It is impossible to say impossible, but I really think that Ferrari will be my last team. Leaving Ferrari to change team is always a step backwards. Ferrari is more than a team, and I want to leave Formula One from there.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 10023.html
You´re right, it means nothing...

Ferrari was a very different team in 2009, today they can be compared with Force India, so today you cannot say changing team is a step backwards

WaikeCU

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/hamilton ... n-for-2015

F1today reports that Mclaren have announced to F1Today.net that Lewis is returning to them for 2015. Not sure if BS, but it's out there.
F1Today.net has had sources reveal to them that Hamilton visited the Woking base three weeks ago to sign for the team starting from next season. The source said: "Lewis was in the Woking factory three weeks ago. He arrived by helicopter, had a conversation about two hours with the management and then left with a big smile on his face. He signed here, I can assure you. A seat fitting has not happened yet, but that will take place in the foreseeable future."

adrianjordan

WaikeCU wrote:http://www.f1today.net/en/news/hamilton ... n-for-2015

F1today reports that Mclaren have announced to F1Today.net that Lewis is returning to them for 2015. Not sure if BS, but it's out there.
F1Today.net has had sources reveal to them that Hamilton visited the Woking base three weeks ago to sign for the team starting from next season. The source said: "Lewis was in the Woking factory three weeks ago. He arrived by helicopter, had a conversation about two hours with the management and then left with a big smile on his face. He signed here, I can assure you. A seat fitting has not happened yet, but that will take place in the foreseeable future."
Which would throw everything wide open - Vettel to Mercedes? Alonso staying at Ferrari or retiring? Button to either of those two? Who knows....well the drivers and team managers probably do...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

WaikeCU

adrianjordan wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:http://www.f1today.net/en/news/hamilton ... n-for-2015

Which would throw everything wide open - Vettel to Mercedes? Alonso staying at Ferrari or retiring? Button to either of those two? Who knows....well the drivers and team managers probably do...
If Seb has already set a signature on a contract with Ferrari, then he might have mixed feelings right now. I doubt he was expecting an open spot at Mercedes tbh.

Gerhardsa

Makes no sense for Hamilton to go to McLaren at all.
Leading the Championship in a car that is a second quicker than anyone, and no signs that that would change next season.
McLaren Changing PU's, Ferrari turning their own world upside down, Red Bull not having a massive Newey influence anymore. Makes no sense at all

iotar__

Some rumours about Alonso-McL from Finnish press, "tough negotiations" http://thisisf1.com/2014/10/08/alonso-t ... ns-report/ . Some bad ones - "Alonso thought Hamilton would go to Ferrari leaving Merc seat empty" (I don't think so) and one interesting about length of contract. Alonso supposedly wants one year, they two. I'm not sure what one year gives him apart from getting anything that is possible out of negotiations.

Wait-what-wait-what, Hamilton to McLaren? If it happens disregard my opinion that it was a bad rumour. Maybe for 2016? Alonso at the moment is [-o< .

Jeffsvilleusa

If its true Vettel went to Ferrari because Alonso decided to leave then Alonso would have had something secured ahead of time, and the only real option is Mercedes. To go to McLaren would be a gamble, Red Bull aren't very compelling, but Mercedes are on top, and that's what you need to win. Of course sometimes logic goes out the window, like Alonso moving to McLaren in 07 and they were immediately competitive or Hamilton to Mercedes this year. Unless there is some seriously overwhelming evidence of McLaren-Honda bouncing back, or it being just a money grab I don't get the logic there.
Box! Box!