2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

Raleigh wrote:
Moose wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Vettel and Alonso to Mclaren is such a batsh1t crazy idea it might just be exactly what will happen.
Certainly honda strongly hinted at it with their 5 and 14 numbered marketing cars.
Those interviews with Jenson and Kevin after Quali, I might be reading a bit much into this, but their faces...

Eddie Jordan said something about they might just have been told today both are being dropped for next year, almost think he is right.
VET is not going to Macca, Honda made an lots of Mio $ per year offer, some flattering photo of old Hondas... that's it.
VET goes to Ferrari.
if both MAG and BUT will be dimissed.... ALO and GRO at McLaren.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ScottB
ScottB

FrukostScones wrote:[VET is not going to Macca, Honda made an lots of Mio $ per year offer, some flattering photo of old Hondas... that's it.
VET goes to Ferrari.
Or Vandoorne...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ScottB wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:[VET is not going to Macca, Honda made an lots of Mio $ per year offer, some flattering photo of old Hondas... that's it.
VET goes to Ferrari.
Or Vandoorne...
Not ever. Vandoorne has zero F1 experience and Honda wants to shine from the start, no place for rookies. That's why you can be certain Magnussen will be ditched either way - he got that seat because of some handshake and contractual mistakes which they couldn't solve by dumping k-mag in a marussia or caterham. The only reason Kevin is in there is because of that. First race out the guy looked mighty promising but that went down the drain immediately.

Button makes it count, and like he said himself, qualy doesn't matter - it's the race where you need to get the results, so keving outqualifying JB is nice and all, but it doesn't grant points for the team. There's a 47 point difference in between them.

Jenson has experience enough to be valuable and hasn't forgotten how to perform. I remember him going to Mclaren and the general consencus would be he'd be pulverised by lewis, instead, he kept right on the tail and even beat him in one of the seasons as JB maintained a championship contender.

I could see an Alonso - Jenson Button combo working, i can't see a Alonso - Magnussen deal working out at all.

Vettel is going to Ferrari, that is clear as day. Where alonso will go remains to be seen but it's fairly logical it will be Mclaren.

Grosjean has zero possibility to be @ Mclaren either, Eric Bouillier may be french and Gro has driven for 'him' before, but that doesn't get him any chance on a MCL seat.

and if the Honda powerplant turns out to be shambles,

then such behaviour will be insta-kickboot from Mcl by Ron Dennis himself whom never will tolerate such a behaviour.

as for vandoorne, he has zero extra over Magnussen so that'll never happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Manoah2u wrote:
ScottB wrote:
VET goes to Ferrari.
Or Vandoorne...
Not ever. Vandoorne has zero F1 experience and Honda wants to shine from the start, no place for rookies. That's why you can be certain Magnussen will be ditched either way - he got that seat because of some handshake and contractual mistakes which they couldn't solve by dumping k-mag in a marussia or caterham. The only reason Kevin is in there is because of that. First race out the guy looked mighty promising but that went down the drain immediately.

Button makes it count, and like he said himself, qualy doesn't matter - it's the race where you need to get the results, so keving outqualifying JB is nice and all, but it doesn't grant points for the team. There's a 47 point difference in between them.

Jenson has experience enough to be valuable and hasn't forgotten how to perform. I remember him going to Mclaren and the general consencus would be he'd be pulverised by lewis, instead, he kept right on the tail and even beat him in one of the seasons as JB maintained a championship contender.

I could see an Alonso - Jenson Button combo working, i can't see a Alonso - Magnussen deal working out at all.

Vettel is going to Ferrari, that is clear as day. Where alonso will go remains to be seen but it's fairly logical it will be Mclaren.

Grosjean has zero possibility to be @ Mclaren either, Eric Bouillier may be french and Gro has driven for 'him' before, but that doesn't get him any chance on a MCL seat.

http://i.imgur.com/KkLVe.gif

and if the Honda powerplant turns out to be shambles,

http://thejudge13.files.wordpress.com/2 ... osjean.gif

then such behaviour will be insta-kickboot from Mcl by Ron Dennis himself whom never will tolerate such a behaviour.

as for vandoorne, he has zero extra over Magnussen so that'll never happen.

That is a well thought through interpretation of where you see the teams next year.

I can get on board with that =D>

oT v1
oT v1

I agree with the interview observation, K mag looked very annoyed - snappy one word answers. I didn't see Jenson's but he has been quiet negative all season regarding interviews (some might say that he was just being 'matter of fact' but he takes it too far)

I really hope Jenson stays! And I can't understand Maclaren's hiring strategy at all, Perez took the fall for the 2013 dog of a car, now Mag gets brushed aside after 1 year...
The Power of Dreams

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

oT v1 wrote:I agree with the interview observation, K mag looked very annoyed - snappy one word answers. I didn't see Jenson's but he has been quiet negative all season regarding interviews (some might say that he was just being 'matter of fact' but he takes it too far)

I really hope Jenson stays! And I can't understand Maclaren's hiring strategy at all, Perez took the fall for the 2013 dog of a car, now Mag gets brushed aside after 1 year...
again, results of presumably Whitmarsh' lack of leadership imho. K-mag never should have went into that MCL seat, but they couldn't dump him anywhere else so they could only dump him in one of the Mclarens. Button is the strongest of both of them, so Perez had to go.

Perez was never intended to be ditched after 1 year. Based upon the 'market' back then, Mclaren was seeking a good sponsor deal and Telmex was a very interesting direction, thus hiring in Perez, whom actually even has some potential, and in the meantime having time to 'mature' in mclaren wasn't that of a bad direction after losing Hamilton.

Whether it was Whitmarsh himself whom made a mess, i don't have enough info for such answer, I can only assume as 'head' of the F1 team it seems quite logical he is the person in charge of it so he'll be responsible. And after the hopefull 2012 season where they 'just' missed out on the championship, there were just too many misses going on to be accepted. Losing Hamilton (possibly most due to clumsy pit errors and car failures), Losing the title, losing hugely important sponsorship deals, and having to ditch a freshly aquiered driver because of some contract cockup, are all very big fails to be honest.

So it's logical one doesn't understand this 'strategy' at all because essentially, there was no strategy here but a package of bad decisions.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Glyn
Glyn

oT v1 wrote:I agree with the interview observation, K mag looked very annoyed - snappy one word answers. I didn't see Jenson's but he has been quiet negative all season regarding interviews (some might say that he was just being 'matter of fact' but he takes it too far)

Neither could beat Jenson Button...

f1universe
f1universe

Vettel in the same team with Alonso?, no way Vettel will agree to that.

Kiril Varbanov

I've asked Ferrari officially for ALO & VET situation. I've got no answer, which is unusual, but somewhat expected. This means there will be announcement soon. I mean, as soon as Mclaren decide what to do.

SectorOne

Manoah2u wrote:K-mag never should have went into that MCL seat,
Must be great analyzing things after they have happened. It´s so much easier to come up with the right answers then.
Magnussen (without knowing what we know today) undoubtedly deserved a shot at Mclaren to show himself after winning the championship.

-

Now Tost say Vergne and Verstappen makes the most sense. I can only hope that Vergne does this when asked,

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

:lol:

But what if it's his only chance for an F1 seat? He has to take it.

SectorOne

If i was him i´d bugger off to WEC if i can´t find a seat. STR is using him now, he worth nothing and would have been re-hired so he can bounce of all he knows about driving F1 cars on Verstappen then get the boot again.

Will be tough getting a seat in F1 without a country behind him and all that but i think if he keeps this up the results will speak for themselves.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

SectorOne wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:K-mag never should have went into that MCL seat,
Must be great analyzing things after they have happened. It´s so much easier to come up with the right answers then.
Magnussen (without knowing what we know today) undoubtedly deserved a shot at Mclaren to show himself after winning the championship.

-

Now Tost say Vergne and Verstappen makes the most sense. I can only hope that Vergne does this when asked,

http://replygif.net/i/1372.gif
I agree Magnussen did 'earn' a spot in F1, i seriously doubt he 'earned' a Mclaren seat. Force India (whom ironically are 1 point in front of MCL ironically), Sauber, Caterham, Marussia, these are the spots to go for after winning the championship. 'Earning' at Mclaren? no. You 'earn' a spot at Mclaren if you do good in F1, Hamilton was a shock surprise, whom imho did not 'earn' his instant Mclaren rookie seat - but he did prove immediately it was a good thing to do for Mclaren.
Magnussen in the first race seemed to be capable of handling it, but it's safe to say the rise 'up' was followed by a deep 'down' - unfortunately.

Offcourse it's easy analyzing afterwards, but the issue isn't really about K-mag's performance (well, perhaps in a way), it's about mismanagement and Macca which made the mess they 'were' in. I have the impression Mclaren took a 'do not care' approach after Mercedes took a huge step aside from their Mclaren relationship and when it was clear they were gonna be a Honda - powered team with lot's of backup from their side.

But as for Magnussen, the right answers were given even before he got there; that he didn't belong there, and it was common knowledge before he was announced and Perez was dumped. I think there's a reason we don't see any sign of Whitmarsh anymore, he must have made a huge friggin mess of things. It was argued Perez wasn't a favourable choise when Hamilton left either - imho I think Checo actually did well and i for one really like his driving and he did some good-old-fashioned racing in the Mclaren. I think perez still is the one that was 'hurt' the most by McLaren's mismanagement, since the guy definately has 'something' in there that can make him a 'frontrunner' in the right car.

Anyway, what happened happened and i'm certain we won't be hearing about Kevin in F1 anymore, don't think he'll be having a testrole either. Bruno Senna (imho didnt do bad at all), Vitaly Petrov, just to name 2, whom performed way better in inferior material.

F1 needs to step away from the idea that drivers 'earn' a seat there. They don't, and winning a championship in GP2 is not to be resulted standard in getting a F1 seat. That would mean you have to ditch one driver to replace it with a rookie every single year, just because somebody won a GP2 championship. The idea sounds fun, Gp2 being a feeder series, but in truth it isn't practical at all. F1 has done without that for years and it doesn't need it.

There are teams 'leaving' F1 thus lesser seats time by time. Remember, we've lost Toyota and HRT, and either Caterham, Marussia or Sauber possibly won't make the 2015 grid. That means in a couple of years we've lost 6, and if 2 teams fumble as suggested by media/bernie, then we've lost 8 possible seats in the span of a couple of years.

Meanwhile, every year we get another drive whom supposedly 'earns' a F1 seat. That doesn't work.
the idea of 'earning' a spot in F1 because you won a Gp2 championship needs to be ditched.

There are 6-figure numbers paid for a fp1 seat at caterham, that tells you everything.

Writinglife
Writinglife

GP2 championship win should earn you a spot in F1, how WELL you perform in that championship determines which teams will be interested in you.

Hamilton earnt his spot in McLaren by spending his entire racing career being tied to them and showing them how well he could do. I don't think it was a big surprise to be honest.

PlatinumZealot

PlatinumZealot wrote:Jenson Button; going.... going.... going..... going...... gone?
Why the down votes people? Did you se how Jenson replied to Damon when asked how does he feel about an improved Mclsren chassis will work with the Honda engine?! jenson did not seem too enthused, in fact he seemed to put some distance between himself and the 2015 mclaren team. Did anyone else notice?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028