2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mikeerfol

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

Thunders wrote:
notsofast wrote:Who knows, maybe McLaren will buy out Rosberg's contract, allowing Alonso to go to Mercedes.
What sense would that make?
A lot, because it's silly season :lol:

WaikeCU

Alonso to Mclaren I suppose...

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-in-2015/
Fernando Alonso has ruled out racing with a Mercedes-powered car for the 2015 Formula 1 season, saying that his future is “obvious” even if he has not made his decision public yet.

The Spanish driver is set to leave Ferrari after five years to make way for Sebastian Vettel, and has been widely tipped to join McLaren next season as the British team rekindles its partnership with Honda, who will return to F1 as an engine supplier.

However, Alonso has been linked with nearly every possible opening on the grid, including Lotus which has confirmed it will be using Mercedes engines in 2015.

The power units produced by the German marque have been the best in Formula 1 this season, making them desirable for any driver chasing the world championship. However, Alonso said he does not think he’ll be racing with them in 2015 when asked by NBCSN’s Will Buxton about his future.

“I don’t think so,” Alonso replied when asked if he would be driving a Mercedes-powered car next year. “The options are quite clear.

“As I said in Suzuka, when you know the options, you will say ‘it was so obvious’. Wait and see.”

The options for Alonso appear to be either driving for McLaren or taking a sabbatical in 2015, but the speculation about his future is only set to continue until we get a definitive decision from the two-time world champion.

Miguel
Miguel

This is getting silly, and I can up the ante!

Alonso to:
  1. Train for pro cyclist. If Chris Horner can win the Vuelta at 43, so can he. Feck, Peraud made the podium of this year's Tour de France at 36!. He'd have Alberto Contador and Peter Sagan as domestiques.
  2. Needs a racing career that leaves space for pont 1. This means he goes to WEC. Or maybe just the 24h of Le Mans. This will happen in either a Ferrari LMP1 (unlikely after Montezemolo) or a Honda. Becomes the first person to be F1 WDC, Monaco GP and Le Mans winner since Graham Hill
  3. Gets a wildcard for the Indy 500, where he (obviously) laps the competition. More acclaimed than Jim Clark, because the talented scot somehow never won at monaco (both are 2x WDC!)
  4. Joins Mercedes when 3-car teams are a reality, in 2016. Beats (obviously) Hamilton and Rosberg, and wins his third WDC by a single point over (obviously) Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel. Montezemolo celebrates it.
OK, anyone out there can improve this? God, where'd the fanboy ying-yang thread when you need it? Nevertheless, the more time passes the more feasible option 2) looks.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Gaz.
Gaz.

Vasconia wrote:According to some Spanish newspapers(which are not very reliable most of the times) the negotiations between Mclaren and Alonso are not in the best moment. Ron Dennis has realized that Alonso has not a better option than his team so he is trying to change some of the conditions that they had previously agreed.

According to these sources Alonso was trying to sign with Mercedes, but the announcement of Vettel and the almost confirmed deal extention between Hamilton and Mercedes has let him with no more chances than Mclaren.
That's what Ron thought when he stood in the Montreal pitlane telling the media Lewis had no-where to go.
Forza Jules

kooleracer
kooleracer

For me their are only two drivers I would very much like to see in Formula 1 in 2015, those are Robin Frijns and Stoffel Vandoorne. On the other hand there are more drivers that I would like to replace in F1 with drivers that I think are more talented and capable.

How I think 2015 grid should have played out:

Mercedes: Hamilton, Rosberg
No reason the change the strongest line-up in F1.

Red Bull: Ricciardo, Hulkenberg
After the announcement of Vettel leaving, I think Red Bull should have taken Hulkenberg, he has proven time and time again he can deliver in any car he drives. Think Ricciardo and Hulkenberg would make an exceptional pairing.

Williams: Bottas , Button
Massa has been overshadowed by Bottas, Massa is supposed to be a senior driver to one to lead the team. I think Jenson Button is better suited for that role compared to Massa. He is faster more consistent and is able to develop the car. Jenson gives good feedback and definitely deserves a place in F1.

Ferrari: Raikonnen, Vettel
After the announcement in Japan this should be the Ferrari line-up in 2015. Nothing the add, good drivers and will deliver if they have a good car.

Force India: Magnussen, Perez
Magnussen is a good driver but at the moment not ready for a top seat in F1. His inconsistency shows that he has the speed but his inexperience shows in his performances over the season. So Force India would be a great drive for him to develop himself outside the limelight, against a worthy adversary like Perez.

McLaren: Alonso, Vandoorne
Then my surprise line-up for Mclaren in 2015. For me Vandoorne was the best driver last year in WSR and has been the best driver this year in GP2. Palmer and Nasr have driven 3 years in GP2 without winning the Championship, if you can't win the title in 3 years then I start to doubt your talent. Vandoorne on the otherhand almost won the WSR as an rookie and this year is bound to finish 2nd or 3rd in his rookie year in a team that struggled massively last year. Vandoorne has been the standout driver in GP2. Consistent but fast, also wining his first GP2 race ever in his first race shows his talent. I always thought that Vandoorne was a bigger talent then Magnussen if you compare their junior formula results you can clearly see that Vandoorne is the more talented driver. Alonso is a shoe in together with Lewis the best drivers on the grid. McLaren needs someone that delivers. Alonso will deliver if Honda and McLaren miraculously build a bullet Alonso won't fail to bring them the title.

STR: Kyvat, Verstappen
The junior Red Bull team, thats right JUNIOR. Daniil Kyvat is quick but he hasn't been able to beat JEV and thats for a good reason inexperience and JEV is a damm good driver. Kyvat isn't ready for the big team just like Magnussen and Perez weren't ready. I think Red Bull are taking a hugh risk to promote Kyvat to senior team. Max Verstappen is a no brainer he is the quickest driver in karts that i ever seen and how he overtakes in F3 reminds me of that amazing race Hamilton had in Turkey back in GP2. This week again at Imola a track were its quite difficult to overtake he starts 11th and finish 2nd with some great overtake moves. Max Verstappen could dominate the sport like Vettel,Schumacher, Prost and Senna did.

LotusF1: Vergne, Grosjean
The enstone based team, this ofcourse will never happen because of the lack of funds. But this would be my line-up if money wasn't an issue. Two experciened drivers Grosjean was great last year, Vergne has showed since his STR drive that he is capable racer and worthy of a good F1 seat.

Marussia: Chilton, Marciello
This year GP2 and WSR 3.5 in my eyes has only delivered 1 driver that has earned to step to F1 that is Vandoorne. Sainz JR is beating inexperineced rookies. His peers have already moved on and against his peers his results weren't great. This year Chilton has improved generally he is 2 or 3 tenths of Bianchi's pace. So no need to replace Max Chilton with an inexperienced rookie that maybe isn't even better then Max. Marciello is a Ferrari Acadamy driver. I'm convinced of his talent thats why I think he shouldn't linger in GP2. Marussia with the Ferrari link is the best move in his carrier right now. Also he showed in F3 euro that he has the speed and talent.

Catherham: Ericsson, Kobayashi
Ericsson was in my book to get axed after his season. But his recent showings have really caught my eye, the team moved to a simpler brake-by-wire system and he has beaten Kamui in Japan and Russia during qualifiying. If he keeps this form i would definitely retain him for 2015 so he can prove his worth. I would keep Kamui because he fast and proved in the past is able to score big points like his 3rd place for Sauber in Suzuka.

Sauber: Bianchi, Frijns
Ofcouse this line-up at the moment is far from realistic (#ForzaJules). But Sauber always had young fast and up and coming drivers (Massa, Raikonen, Kobayashi, Perez). Sauber needs drivers that can excel in mid pack because of their driving pedigree. Bianchi and Frijns have proven themselves during the junior formula's. Bianchi with is Ferrari connection would have been a logical choice the replace Sutil. Esteban Guiterrez hasn't convinced me at all, really bad qualifying performances against Hulkenberg and this year Sutil has Esteban 11 times in 16 races in qualifying. So Sauber needs a completely new line-up.

Extremely talented drivers of the future are:

Mercedes test-driver Pascal Wehrlein, LotusF1 Junior Esteban Ocon. I hope to see them both in GP2 next year. I hope Mercedes doesn't waste his talent like they did with Juncadella and Wickens .

But because of money and tragedy this fantasy will never come to fruition.
#ForzaJules
#Hatepaydrivers
#F1needtobecheaper
Last edited by kooleracer on 13 Oct 2014, 19:14, edited 7 times in total.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Mesteño

Followers! I appreciate your curiosity, whatever rumors you hear..;) you know priority is on the track now. Enjoy,trust #theBestIsYetToCome

Alonso on Twitter

Vasconia

Gaz. wrote:
Vasconia wrote:According to some Spanish newspapers(which are not very reliable most of the times) the negotiations between Mclaren and Alonso are not in the best moment. Ron Dennis has realized that Alonso has not a better option than his team so he is trying to change some of the conditions that they had previously agreed.

According to these sources Alonso was trying to sign with Mercedes, but the announcement of Vettel and the almost confirmed deal extention between Hamilton and Mercedes has let him with no more chances than Mclaren.
That's what Ron thought when he stood in the Montreal pitlane telling the media Lewis had no-where to go.
Well, but in that case there were more options. In this case is Mclaren or Lotus, and Lotus seems to be a very risky movement, yes they change to Mercedes and they could build a great car like in 2013 but who knows. I am sure that the atmosphere is better in Lotus and Alonso could feel better here than in Mclaren with Denis, I dont know how it can work a Ron-Fernando relationship in Mclaren, too much sh*t between them.

Bob Brown

Pedro de la Rosa and Marc Gene are also out at Ferrari after this year!

Interestingly, Alonso's contract is NOT with McLaren BUT with Honda!

ScottB
ScottB

Vasconia wrote:
Gaz. wrote:

Well, but in that case there were more options. In this case is Mclaren or Lotus, and Lotus seems to be a very risky movement, yes they change to Mercedes and they could build a great car like in 2013 but who knows. I am sure that the atmosphere is better in Lotus and Alonso could feel better here than in Mclaren with Denis, I dont know how it can work a Ron-Fernando relationship in Mclaren, too much sh*t between them.
Assuming Ron remains, there's been rumours about him being replaced too after all.

Richard
Richard

I wonder who Honda have in mind for their other team(s)? Alsonso in a third car at Red Bull Honda in 2016?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Richard wrote:I wonder who Honda have in mind for their other team(s)? Alsonso in a third car at Red Bull Honda in 2016?
If i'm correct, Honda stated they have a Mclaren-exclusive contract for the time being, i'd say that is 2 years before they'll ship other teams their engines. RedBull Honda will never happen, Mclaren will not want it and they'll be the Honda Works team, so they can 'veto' it i think.

Furthermore, RedBull has become Renault's works team so they'll be dictating renault what they expect from them. I believe that behind the scenes Renault is working their areses of to make a competetive engine for the 2015 season, surely the 2016 season. Perhaps RedBull might get to brand them 'infinity', but i'm curious as to how Renault is gonna be happy being the works team and 'Infinity' getting the 'shine' for it.

I can see Honda supplying (if they still exist by then) Sauber and Caterham by 2017.

It does depend on the results Honda is going to achieve, if they are gonna completely destroy Mercedes with their engine, then suddenly everybody wants a piece of the Honda cake, and every driver will be interested in a team getting their hands on either a Honda or Merc engine. I think 2015 might be about Mclaren and Mercedes, and 2016 Ferrari comes kicking in.

The driver market now is more or less depending on what Alonso does next, however, if Honda performs and the other engine suppliers get a fair deal of punch out of their blocks, then the driver market doesn't become so extreme as it is now - as the very best drivers want the very best engine, and right now, that's Mercedes. I don't see Ferrari or Renault gaining in next year but just making slight progress towards them, so the last 'hope' for competition will be what Honda does.

I for one have serious doubt Alonso would go to Mclaren if he didn't believe or had proof the Honda engine is able to do him a favor. Which makes me feel like Honda might just have a very good engine up and ready.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

scuderiafan

Miguel wrote:This is getting silly, and I can up the ante!

Gets a wildcard for the Indy 500, where he (obviously) laps the competition. More acclaimed than Jim Clark, because the talented scot somehow never won at monaco (both are 2x WDC!)
He did once say that he wanted to win at Indianapolis.
"It is always great to go racing at Indy. Fans at Indy are fantastic: They are pretty serious about their motor racing and their passion means there is a great atmosphere. I hope we are able to go out there and put on a good race for them. Indy is another of the tracks that I want to win at; it is so historic and is a very important circuit in this sport. To have a trophy from here in my collection would be fantastic."
He never won it in Formula One, maybe he'll try it in IndyCar?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

SunsAnvil
SunsAnvil

Alonso said that the team he goes to will not have a Merc engine so that rules out Mer, Williams, F-India and Lotus..... We also know that he cannot go to Red BUll (regardless if they switch engines) because they anounced their 2015 line-up so it leaves only McLaren/Honda and if he signed with Honda, there's not much Ron could do except play with certain details but that could cause waves between the team and their new engine supplier.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

^I think it is likely to be Mclaren, but, and this is a big but, he might stay at Ferrari.

Imagine seeing Alonso up against Vettel in the same material

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Fernando Alonso wrote: “When you know it, you will say ‘it was so obvious that you will do that’,”
Fernando Alonso wrote: "It’s good, and I will do the best for my future and the best of the future of Ferrari as well because it’s the team that I love .”
Fernando Alonso Team Boss @ Ferrari :mrgreen:

How can he do the best for the Future of Ferrari, which he loves, if he goes to Mclaren with Honda, Ferrari's historic 'Arch Rival", whom are set to beat the reds in 2015, for a team with Ron Dennis, whom he absolutely does NOT love????

Something doesn't add up. If he was going to Honda, it would have been announced by now i'd say. He wanted to win with Ferrari. He wanted to end his career with Ferrari. He loves Ferrari. He has his mind set and has several options.
It's something with Ferrari.
LMP1 project an alternative? Winning with Ferrari @ Le Mans? Hmmm.....
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"