2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

dren wrote:This!

I figure Dennis will be canned and his replacement will give Alonso what he wants. Or Dennis will cave and retain his job.
Can anyone really sack Ron Dennis when he´s a shareholder (25%) of Mclaren Group?

Bit different i would assume compared to Montezemolo or Domenicali.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

It seems Alonso has been left high and dry with no contract for 2015, he has to hope McLaren take him on. In contrast McLaren don't have to talk to him because they already have two drivers. So Dennis can afford to play the game while Alonso will be getting anxious about securing a seat next year.

Of course if Dennis does take advantage of Alonso's weakness it would would mean Alonso would start 2016 with a simmering grudge.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Fernando is still hoping for a Merc drive, I don't think he will get one, so it looks like Mclaren. Dennis will be happy to stand aside if Alonso asks, the fact that he even considers Alonso back at Mclaren means that he accepts Alonsos talent. I don't like Dennis, but I believe he values winning above anything else, so he might not like Alonso, but he will accept him back for those reasons.

Just imagine if Alonso was to win a world championship in a Mclaren - could end up the greatest story in the history of F1.

djos

2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!)

If I had a choice between Button and Alonso I'd take Alonso every time. Honda McLaren need a driver who can drive well under any circumstances, not a driver who is only "good on his day".

Especially in year 1 when they will still be learning to optimise their package under race weekend conditions.
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

Trying to figure out why they don't just take Button and Alonso and be done with it. Two very different drivers, both with buckets of experience and both very accomplished on a Sunday.
Felipe Baby!

McLobby

Its also on bbc... http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29638594

Imo he cannot risk to take a sabbatical, to return in 2016 hopping for a Mercedes seat, cause he might lose his form by then (as it also happened with other drivers), he is old enough to waste one year out, there is no guarantee that Mercedes will still be dominant by then and finally Mercedes will not let Lewis go and Rosberg has a contract until 2017.
Add to that, the fact McLaren haven't confirm their drivers yet, and Button seems frustrated in his last interviews, and Boullier says they could go for a big name or two for next year.

Since staying at Ferrari is out,
It's safe to say, that he's going to McLaren.

MercedesAMGSpy

I expect Hamilton will extend his contract (Lauda said until 2016 or 2017), no doubt Mercedes will have a strong car and that means that Alonso has to go somewhere else.

McLobby

What the ..... is that? https://www.facebook.com/Fernando.AlonsoOfficial

If that was official, why he wrote ''Montezemolo: ''
Is he kidding us?

edit: I just found out it was a fake account, sorry for that everybody..
Last edited by McLobby on 16 Oct 2014, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkolaz
Nikkolaz

This is his official, verified Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/FernandoAlonsoOficial

Nothing there, though here's an interesting link:

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 80075.html

mikeerfol

That's not his official account.

McLobby

mikeerfol wrote:That's not his official account.
Yes, too bad
I got excited for nothing :oops:
Now the silliness continues..

turbof1

Is it still silly? We know for sure now that Alonso will be leaving Ferrari; they want nobody to know it but in the meanwhile everybody knows it. His only option basicilly is Mclaren, and no matter how hard he's trying to negotiate it, in the end he'll be going there for whatever painful condition Dennis has in mind.

The only thing silly about it anymore is that these people believe they can make it still sound spectacular when they announce it.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

djos wrote:If I had a choice between Button and Alonso I'd take Alonso every time. Honda McLaren need a driver who can drive well under any circumstances, not a driver who is only "good on his day".

Especially in year 1 when they will still be learning to optimise their package under race weekend conditions.
Honda is the main force here and the one who is truly interested in signing Alonso, he is the best driver and they need him to develope the car. I think that they main problem here is the lenght of the deal, they want 2-3 years and Alonso only 1 year and "lets see what happens after this".

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

turbof1 wrote:Is it still silly? We know for sure now that Alonso will be leaving Ferrari; they want nobody to know it but in the meanwhile everybody knows it. His only option basicilly is Mclaren, and no matter how hard he's trying to negotiate it, in the end he'll be going there for whatever painful condition Dennis has in mind.

The only thing silly about it anymore is that these people believe they can make it still sound spectacular when they announce it.
Lol, yeh the silly season is over I think.

Though I believe that Alonso has a contract with directly Honda and therefore indirectly with Mclaren. Could be wrong on that however. I think conditions have been agreed but final terms not accepted.

Richard
Richard

If the problem is length of contract then it's not a minor matter. From Honda/McLaren perspective, they need a driver for several seasons so they can integrate him with the team. Getting Alonso for one season would be a vanity project, he'll barely make himself comfortable before heading off. It'd make lots of noise but not lead to sustained change.

Both Merc and RB showed that it takes 2 or 3 years of stability to build a winning team. If anything, an Alonso cameo would delay things by a year before they can build a settled team. In the meantime, McLaren have a very experienced genial driver who is good for PR and a young kid. Just like Merc with Schumacher/Rosberg. I almost said like Red Bull with Coulthard/Vettel, but that didn't happen!