2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bauc

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

While we still wait for this silly season to be over, here is another silly bombshell - Hakinnen back to Mcalren as Alonso joins the MARS One project.
Alonso: This is something I always wanted to do and its best for Ferrari as well, since Ferrari will be the first automotive company to be represented on Mars :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

lebesset
lebesset

maybe it's just me being cynical , but it looks certain that mercedes want to extend hamilton's contract , and who wouldn't

but hamilton says it can wait until after the season is over which got me to wondering why
imho the reason is quite simple , it's to make sure the team don't screw with him in order to have a 'german' WDC ! after all hamilton will likely win again as , given equal luck , he wouldn't be beaten by rosberg next time

and why are McLaren procrastinating ??? is it because they are waiting to see if they can get hamilton back ? he is coming to his peak while alonso is coming to the end

interesting times
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I maintain that Hamilton will not sign his 2015 seat untill he becomes WDC. It was clear as day that after things went spiraling downwards after the Monaco incident, that the ultimate contact between Nico and Lewis was at the very edge of rising a finger and saying farewell to Merc. Hamilton was (rightly so) seriously pissed off and he was breating both disbelief and fury.

The WDC is not over yet, and if for some reason Rosberg gets dirty again or gets favoured (like theoretically might have happened) then I seriously doubt whether Lewis is going to appear in a merc seat for 2015.

Lewis aimed his guns for becoming a WDC in 2014, and that was the idea back in 2012 when he decided to switch to Merc. He didn't expect Nico to be such a 'potent danger' for his WDC prospects - a tad lazy imho because Rosberg performed stellar this year, even though bad luck was on Hamilton's side this year a lot.

In any case, Hamilton went to Mercedes to eye an 2014 Driver Title. Enjoying more 'freedom' and more 'free' atmosphere @ Merc certainly was a nice extra, but i don't believe Mcl was that bad having allowed him his honeypot in the spotlights taking up his attention and his dog strolling around everywhere......But it's no secret Mcl is a bit of a 'strict environment.

So - if Hamilton fails to secure his 2014 Title, then what will he do? I think it depends on how the battle plays out - if he gets unlucky because he is taken out by a maldonado move or something in a first corner madness (not by nico), then he'll be bummed to the bone, but that might be it. IF Rosberg does a dirty win, then he'll explode. And without a single doubt in my mind, he'll say screw you guys.

The interesting part is, however, that if Hamilton secures his 2014 Driver Title with Mercedes, then essentially his goal with this team is done - which leaves the question: Is he intending to stay for another possible 2015 title? It would be fairly obvious, but - a Ferrari deal or a dreamdeal Mclaren-Honda Title for Hamilton having Senna being his ultimate hero, sounds like heaven i'd say.

Hamilton is wanted by every (big) team : Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes.

He's been @ Mclaren. He's been @ Mercedes. Vettel @ Ferrari doesn't rule out a Hamilton presence (even though it would be a long shot).
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:I maintain that Hamilton will not sign his 2015 seat untill he becomes WDC.
Hamilton already has a contract for 2015!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Rumoured: Mcalren bombshell soon to drop.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Gaz.
Gaz.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:I maintain that Hamilton will not sign his 2015 seat untill he becomes WDC.
Indeed. Did he not say that they postponed contract talks as it was a distraction or words to that effect?
Forza Jules

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Gaz. wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Indeed. Did he not say that they postponed contract talks as it was a distraction or words to that effect?
I am aware of the statements he supposedly has a 2015 contract, but regarding 'contract postphoning talks' doesn't that imply exactly that there factually is not an actual agreement for 2015? :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

spadeflush

Gaz. wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The contract talks were postponed so that the team and Hamilton can both concentrate on winning the titles rather than getting distracted by heated financial/contractual meetings in the background. It is understandable that both entities want to continue. Mercedes wouldn't want to lose a driver of the caliber of Hamilton, and likewise Hamilton would not ideally go from one of the most dominant cars in F1 history to a work in progress underperforming car. The only minimal chance of that happening is if he loses the title in an acrimonious way. I don't believe that is going to happen now.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

spadeflush

Manoah2u wrote: I am aware of the statements he supposedly has a 2015 contract, but regarding 'contract postphoning talks' doesn't that imply exactly that there factually is not an actual agreement for 2015? :roll:
His current contract runs upto 2015. The contract postponing talks are really contract extension postponing talks. There is probably a walk out clause somewhere in his current contract which is making all this silly season excitement possible
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

CjC
CjC

I think out of the top 3 drivers, Hamilton is probably the best bet.
Mclaren aren't new to waiting till the end of the season for a driver announcement, remember 2009/10, jenson signed for them straight after becoming world champion. It's not out of the question that Hamilton could do the same, become the 2014 WDC then jump ship.
Thinking back to 09/10, how does it feel now jenson? With the shoe on the other foot?
Just a fan's point of view

Ted68

Montezemolo confirms Alonso leaving Ferrari, hints at McLaren as destination...

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... ng-ferrari
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

henra
henra

lebesset wrote: but hamilton says it can wait until after the season is over which got me to wondering why
imho the reason is quite simple , it's to make sure the team don't screw with him in order to have a 'german' WDC !
That has been repeated a couple of times but it is genuine and utter non- sense. German Companies actually usually prefer Non- German Flagship Representatives (aka Drivers in F1 Terms) since the Export Market is generally valued much higher in the German Industry than the domestic market (which is considered saturated and un- inspiring for financial markets). Thus you can really safely scrap that 'German works Team wants German Driver Champion' fear.
Never assume malice if simple incompetence will suffice... :mrgreen:

zeph
zeph

Manoah2u wrote:
Gaz. wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I am aware of the statements he supposedly has a 2015 contract, but regarding 'contract postphoning talks' doesn't that imply exactly that there factually is not an actual agreement for 2015? :roll:
You misunderstand.

The postponed talks were about extension to 2016 and beyond. His existing contact is until the end of 2015.

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
You misunderstand.

The postponed talks were about extension to 2016 and beyond. His existing contact is until the end of 2015.
Thanks, Zeph. People need to do their research when it comes to driver market discussions!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

adrianjordan

PlatinumZealot wrote:Rumoured: Mcalren bombshell soon to drop.
Where's the rumour coming from?? The usual sources or somewhere new?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️