2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
therealjustin
therealjustin

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

I'm guessing that McLaren drops Button and Magnussen.

Alonso might be in but who will his teammate be? Grosjean?

Moose
Moose

therealjustin wrote:I'm guessing that McLaren drops Button and Magnussen.

Alonso might be in but who will his teammate be? Grosjean?
Vettel.

xpensive
xpensive

Alonso and Marcus Ericsson will drive for McLaren, Ericsson's money will offload some of Ron's costs for Alonso.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Fernando to the Ferrari pitwall next year and sending messages to then Ferrari driver Sebastian:

"Maintain a gap of 6 tenths to Kimi, please confirm he's faster than you! And leave a space all the time!"
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

McLobby

I don't know about the validity of this site http://www.speedweek.com,
but there is an article that adds some good silliness/entertainment to this thread:

''Exclusive - Fernando Alonso is Honda employee!''
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

Most interesting part of the article:
"Honda's project is for three years, during this time you want to win the title," says our informant, who wishes to remain anonymous. The delay in the development of engine and hybrid system is due to a radical change in the concept, as the Japanese original of Ferraris which are basically access and after the first season results recognized the benefits of Mercedes.

However, much of the philosophy of Red Bull, rather than to own it as a sponsor, and Honda will make every effort to take over at least 25 percent of long-term boss Ron Dennis at McLaren - this is obviously in line with the investor Mumtalakat from Bahrain, the 50 percent is held (the remaining 25 belong Mansour Ojjehs TAG group).

And so is the Causa more interesting ...

"If Honda takes over the shares of Dennis, the Japanese will use their own man. You need someone who knows thoroughly the Formula 1 in FIA and Ecclestone is well-connected and should have as a past with Honda, "says the insider. A requirement profile, tailored to Gerhard Berger - still declared on request before the Grand Prix of Russia: "With me, no one has spoken about it."

How serious is the Honda Formula 1 return, show reshuffles: 150 engineers are now working at the Development Center Tochigi, some were taken from the MotoGP team, even brought some veterans from the 1980s from the board. And a proposed model for China Street is delayed two months because technicians were diverted to Formula 1.

For McLaren, claims the insider, is the exclusivity of the Honda deals not cemented forever: "If McLaren does not appear at the end of the season in the Constructors' Championship in the top box, Honda has the right to choose other teams as partners. It protects itself, so far as it goes. "
#-o :wtf:

RagingBullx
RagingBullx

If Alonso is so much faster than Button, he will kill Magnussens career...

adrianjordan

RagingBullx wrote:If Alonso is so much faster than Button, he will kill Magnussens career...
Good point. Perhaps Magnussen should be looking to move elsewhere just to cover off this possibility...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

WaikeCU

adrianjordan wrote:
RagingBullx wrote:If Alonso is so much faster than Button, he will kill Magnussens career...
Good point. Perhaps Magnussen should be looking to move elsewhere just to cover off this possibility...
But what if like rumoured, Magnussen goes to Force India, because Hulkenberg's spot is going to open up. Then surely Hulkenberg would want to stay in F1 rather than going to WEC. Expect Hulkenberg in either a Ferrari, Mclaren or Williams.

smr
smr

Why would any of those top teams want Hulkenberg when Perez is beating him hand over fist this season? :wtf:

WaikeCU

smr wrote:Why would any of those top teams want Hulkenberg when Perez is beating him hand over fist this season? :wtf:
Hulkenberg: 76 pts
Perez: 47 pts

Check your facts again.

smr
smr

I've checked the facts thanks...

Perez = 3 DNFS and one DNS (Gearbox Malaysia)

Hulkenberg = 1 DNF

Considering that, also consider this... Perez has finished the race quicker than Hulk 7 to 5 times. Also finished on the Podium in Bahrain which Hulk hasn't managed to do.

I'd say Perez is beating Hulkenberg, and again, wonder why Mclaren, Ferrari etc. would want him when Perez has been the better driver this season.

Last year a lot of the F1 pundits were raving about Hulkenberg but this year the same people have been extremely quiet about him, largely because he's having just as anonymous a season as Raikonnen for example.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

smr wrote:Why would any of those top teams want Hulkenberg when Perez is beating him hand over fist this season? :wtf:
Wow

smr wrote:I've checked the facts thanks...

Perez = 3 DNFS and one DNS (Gearbox Malaysia)

Hulkenberg = 1 DNF

Considering that, also consider this... Perez has finished the race quicker than Hulk 7 to 5 times. Also finished on the Podium in Bahrain which Hulk hasn't managed to do.

I'd say Perez is beating Hulkenberg, and again, wonder why Mclaren, Ferrari etc. would want him when Perez has been the better driver this season.

Last year a lot of the F1 pundits were raving about Hulkenberg but this year the same people have been extremely quiet about him, largely because he's having just as anonymous a season as Raikonnen for example.
Are all of those DNFS due to mechanical failures or crashes?
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 17 Oct 2014, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

RagingBullx
RagingBullx

Well Hulkenberg is outscoring Perez even though he is a heavier driver and therefore disadvantaged under these rules, just like Button and Magnussen for example.

WaikeCU

RagingBullx wrote:Well Hulkenberg is outscoring Perez even though he is a heavier driver and therefore disadvantaged under these rules, just like Button and Magnussen for example.
Also, on a damp track with tricky conditions such as changing track conditions and weather forecasts. He can master those tricky situations.

ScottB
ScottB

Was I the only one that heard DC talking about how Force India weren't all that impressed with Hulkenburg and were considering replacing him in his commentary?

I never get the high regard he seems to be held in online, for years these threads have been filled with people claiming he would be off to various top teams, but it's never happened. I just don't see it myself, a capable driver, yes indeed, but a potential champion? Not for me. He won't be taking a seat at Mclaren, Williams or Ferrari. It'll be Force India or another series for him.

FI will keep Perez because he does a decent job and brings cash, particularly with a Mexican GP next year. His partner will be the best driver available to them, that may or may not, need to bring cash with them. Fighting for that second seat could be Hulk, Mag, Vergne etc. alongside a host of rookies and guys with big chequebooks.