Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
604gtir
604gtir

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

patrik wrote:
"Intercooler" is the part that cools the air going inside the turbo.
don't you mean from the turbo to the engine...

aleks_ader

604gtir wrote:
patrik wrote:
"Intercooler" is the part that cools the air going inside the turbo.
don't you mean from the turbo to the engine...
more accurately from compressor to the engine plenum chamber
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Facts Only
Facts Only

That'll be the transmission oil cooler on top of the engine, you can see the pipe work running from the bottom into the top of the gearbox.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Fede90
Fede90

Someone can tell me if is true that project of this McLaren is focused on a engine with less power like Ferrari F14T?
All to have more space for improve the aerodynamics?

CjC
CjC

No sure if this belongs here mods?
It's about the competiveness of the car

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117593

Where do you think mclaren think they should be according to Morris?
Just a fan's point of view

turbof1

CjC wrote:No sure if this belongs here mods?
It's about the competiveness of the car

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117593

Where do you think mclaren think they should be according to Morris?
It's a bit of non fitting the topic, but there's one particular quote that they aren't running the full performance yet, implying there's more to come from the engine. I don't see this fitting in the team thread either so I'll agree with it having around here.
#AeroFrodo

the EDGE
the EDGE

Fede90 wrote:Someone can tell me if is true that project of this McLaren is focused on a engine with less power like Ferrari F14T?
well I know that philosophy didn't work for Ferrari, you clearly know that philosophy didn't work for Ferrari, so at a guess...I'd say McLaren-Honda knows too, so probably not

giantfan10
giantfan10

the EDGE wrote:
Fede90 wrote:Someone can tell me if is true that project of this McLaren is focused on a engine with less power like Ferrari F14T?
well I know that philosophy didn't work for Ferrari, you clearly know that philosophy didn't work for Ferrari, so at a guess...I'd say McLaren-Honda knows too, so probably not
Ferrari never had a strategy to field an underpowered undriveable PU with a weak ERS system to aid aerodynamics
in fact the ferrari engine layout wasnt the problem... too small of a turbo a weak ERS and issues with power delivery is what shot them in the foot... i highly doubt they made a choice to have those issues
what they did do was design the engine layout to maximise aero.just like every other team on the grid did and does

chuckdanny
chuckdanny

Interesting swirling pool indeed !

Aaronque
Aaronque

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sources close to McLaren said that car was running at 50% power for much of the day.
#BBC
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1universe
f1universe

According to Movistar TV.

Barcelona test 1: new engine spec.
Barcelona test 2: new engine spec.
Monaco: Chassis spec B

Alonso first to test in Barcelona.

Vasconia

f1universe wrote:According to Movistar TV.

Barcelona test 1: new engine spec.
Barcelona test 2: new engine spec.
Monaco: Chassis spec B

Alonso first to test in Barcelona.
If this true and they are going to prepare a new chasis it seems that they could have found problems (or at least, areas which need a clear improvement).

frosty125
frosty125

I'm calling BS on a new chassis, the lead time on a new chassis is quite a while so unless they discovered something wrong with the first chassis weeks ago there wouldn't be a B one. Maybe they meant an updated aero package which is to be expected we haven't even seen a monkey seat yet. New engine spec seems sensible to me as that is what Honda have already indicated.

Holm86

frosty125 wrote:I'm calling BS on a new chassis, the lead time on a new chassis is quite a while so unless they discovered something wrong with the first chassis weeks ago there wouldn't be a B one. Maybe they meant an updated aero package which is to be expected we haven't even seen a monkey seat yet. New engine spec seems sensible to me as that is what Honda have already indicated.
I don't believe in a totally new chassis either.
Perhaps a newly designed gearbox with rear suspension setup during the season. The current rear suspension seems to be designed with the mushroom rear suspension arms in mind. Perhaps there was not too much focus in this area yet since PP took over.