Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

f1rules
f1rules

i cant spot anything new, maybe just veryfying flowpatterns

Thunder

Some more Pictures of the FW from AMuS:

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

To me it seems flatter & thinner in front of the wing.

f1rules
f1rules

great picture here, showing how the sidepod tunnels formed by the hotair outlet is merged with gearbox creating a very open rear

Thunder

So apparently the problem with the MGU-K Seal was not a Design Issue but a Quality Issue. Hopefully they get all that ironed out before the 28th.

http://en.f1i.com/news/3868-honda-worki ... ality.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

petete50
petete50

Hi guys, just googling some stuff from McLaren-Honda I found this awesome website and I'd like to ask you quick question about some information that come out from Spain this last week about the British team.

So some spanish reporters are saying that McLaren-Honda is the only one in the paddock that have not try the engine in a dyno yet. That's why they are having all this problems, but for sure Honda will change his mind and go for it. I cannot find any notice on google and the only one who been saying this info is Movistar F1 channel in Spain.
Actually who said that was Joan Villadelprat, a tech with more than 30 years in F1 working on McLaren and Ferrari for example. So this guy does not say stupid stuff like other newspapers like Marca or AS

What do you think about it?

adrianjordan

petete50 wrote:Hi guys, just googling some stuff from McLaren-Honda I found this awesome website and I'd like to ask you quick question about some information that come out from Spain this last week about the British team.

So some spanish reporters are saying that McLaren-Honda is the only one in the paddock that have not try the engine in a dyno yet. That's why they are having all this problems, but for sure Honda will change his mind and go for it. I cannot find any notice on google and the only one who been saying this info is Movistar F1 channel in Spain.
Actually who said that was Joan Villadelprat, a tech with more than 30 years in F1 working on McLaren and Ferrari for example. So this guy does not say stupid stuff like other newspapers like Marca or AS

What do you think about it?
Don't know where you heard that from. 100% certainty that Honda ran the engine extensively on multiple dynos. The other manufacturers all had problems last year...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CjC
CjC

I know it's not topic relevant but does anyone else get the feeling honda are gonna be unreliable and under powered?
To me it's screaming the memories back from pre season 2004.
Just a fan's point of view

hollus

The only wat Viladelprat said that is through a translation or transcript error. I am guessing that he was inerviewed in English, the stuff was then published in Spanish and then back translated to english, or something of the sort.
Rivals, not enemies.

proteus

Nose of the mp4-30 is much longer than any other and it blocks the air to flow under. For quite a few years now, the flow of the air under the nose to the back, was essential for a vacuum at the back, which provided higher speeds and other advantages. As i see the vanity panel on the top of the nose, i guess it will be changed to a S-duct, right where that pillar is. My question is: Is the S-duct as efficient as the nose, that allows the air to flow under the car? (Thank u for youre answers :) )

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

CjC
CjC

I don't think mclaren need to worry about an s-duct at the moment.

*edit* they need to get that friggin seal sort. Ridiculous!
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

CjC wrote:I don't think mclaren need to worry about an s-duct at the moment.
I know, the thing that worrys me more in particular is, that in spain the temperature is arround 10 degrees celsius, which is nothing near the 30+ of the summer, when majority of the races will hapen. The biggest question is how well is the Honda PU handling the higher temperatures.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

turbof1

So apperently the redesigned seal also failed:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117762

(please no complaining about it in the car thread, only discussion about why and how it possibly failed)
#AeroFrodo

Waffle
Waffle

proteus wrote:Nose of the mp4-30 is much longer than any other and it blocks the air to flow under. For quite a few years now, the flow of the air under the nose to the back, was essential for a vacuum at the back, which provided higher speeds and other advantages. As i see the vanity panel on the top of the nose, i guess it will be changed to a S-duct, right where that pillar is. My question is: Is the S-duct as efficient as the nose, that allows the air to flow under the car? (Thank u for youre answers :) )

http://en.f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 4-30-5.jpg

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... macca5.jpg
I think this is almost certainly not the final nose. Having said that, I've heard consistently from designers that there's not much performance in the nose, so I guess that a lot of air flowing to the diffuser is not coming directly under the nose.

The S-Duct is there to condition the air flowing over the top of the nose, so it's not aiming to replicate a higher nose.