Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Matt Somers wrote:Seems Newey's had a fresh delivery of elipses

https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/571073104652455936
Mercedes have a similar wishbone extension on the front of the rear lower wishbone leg. Apparently these extensions fall within the zones covered by the brake ducts and their flip-ups and so can be shaped to give direct downforce.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Only just noticed the teardrop shaped flow conditioners on top of the diffuser. Are these new and are they unique to RB?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

techF1LES

ME4ME

Some small detailed updates, but nothing big. Getting just a little bit worried now.

So far neither short nor long runs suggest to me that Red Bull is particularity quick. People obviously name Redbull as a podium contender, and to fight with Ferrari and Williams, but I wonder if that's actually based on testing data, or assumption based on previous years.

Juzh

Even in their champ years they were never fastest in testing.

gandharva

ME4ME wrote:Some small detailed updates, but nothing big. Getting just a little bit worried now.
Why would you expect big upgrades? The car looks great and visually is a big improvement over last year. Looks more like they are confident in the car and already start to fine tune aero.

ME4ME

Personally I thought Horner looked pretty beaten, not at all confident for Melbourne in his interview on SKY yesterday.

But this is exactly what I mean. People have pre-determined assumptions based on previous years, and as you mention the looks of the car. Both are worth nothing in lap time. My point being I personally cannot find any actual data that suggests Redbull are particularity quick. Could be me overlooking something. You're welcome to point it out in that case :)

Juzh

ME4ME wrote:My point being I personally cannot find any actual data that suggests Redbull are particularity quick.
Same as last year then.

aral
aral

Juzh wrote:
ME4ME wrote:My point being I personally cannot find any actual data that suggests Redbull are particularity quick.
Same as last year then.
i dont know why some people are getting hung up on the speeds at Barca. As gear ratios are fixed this year, a car that is slow could be faster on a lap at tighter circuits. it will be a case of swings and roundabouts.

Juzh

gilgen wrote: As gear ratios are fixed this year, a car that is slow could be faster on a lap at tighter circuits.
It doesn't work that way.

aral
aral

Juzh wrote:
gilgen wrote: As gear ratios are fixed this year, a car that is slow could be faster on a lap at tighter circuits.
of course it does! a car geared for a tighter track will be breathless on the higher speed tracks, or will have holes in the power delivery between gears. look at how rbr suffered in earlier years due to gearing causing them to be down on top speed, but they were certainly quicker on the twisty tracks.
Last edited by aral on 28 Feb 2015, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

citysnake
citysnake

Just_a_fan wrote:http://i.imgur.com/lFYrveV.jpg
Only just noticed the teardrop shaped flow conditioners on top of the diffuser. Are these new and are they unique to RB?
The driveshaft is housed within the lower wishbone?

Juzh

gilgen wrote:
Juzh wrote:
of course it does! a car geared for a tighter track will be breathless on the higher speed tracks, or will have holes in the power delivery between gears. look at how rbr suffered in earlier years due to gearing causing them to be down on top speed, but they were certainly quicker on the twisty tracks.
It doesn't.
V6 turbo's power band is too wide for gearing to have any kind of meaningful effect. And there's 8 gears to make matters even less complicated.
Short gearing that RB used during V8 era pose zero resemblance to what we have now. Having lower top speed means you're slower over the whole straights.