Superchargers or turbochargers?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Neither, my choice is a gas turbine.

pRo

Carlos wrote:@shumiwemissyou. So let me get this straight. You can't waste the time reading our opinions. Any advice or input we offer is completely dismissed, of no value or interest; not worthy of your respect or consideration. TROLLING shumiwemissyou? :roll:

If your not a TROLL - Why didn't you just put up a POLL? - Duh :idea:
Maybe he just likes to make his "name" visible by starting few threads here and there. ;)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

ds.raikkonen

Its a wide scope Q...but supercharging is better generally obviously due to the fact that the irritating lag is nt there, but newer turbos have VGT tech to reduce lag and as said before BMW has developed the twin-stage twin-turbo which is ingenious.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Turbocharger for me, all the way. More thermodynamically efficient, quiet, etc.

Taking care of lag is the realm of anti-lag in the ECU and left foot braking :)
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Belatti
Belatti

I´ll have to agree with Jersey Tom, the Turbo takes advantage of "usless gases", therefore is more efficient.
In fact, all new diesels have turbo.

Superchargers are for North American cars, as they dont usually care for fuel economy and efficiency (they still have enough oil from Irak :oops: ) but for power.
eg: Corvette= 8L and 500HP
Porsche= 3.6L and..... 500HP

If you want to know how to eliminate Turbo Lag, send your mail in a PM and I´ll give you a very complete and graphical explanation of the Porsche VGT
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Belatti wrote:eg: Corvette= 8L and 500HP
The Corvette Z06 has a 7L V8 :!:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

zender05
zender05

Belatti wrote:I´ll have to agree with Jersey Tom, the Turbo takes advantage of "usless gases", therefore is more efficient.
In fact, all new diesels have turbo.

Superchargers are for North American cars, as they dont usually care for fuel economy and efficiency (they still have enough oil from Irak :oops: ) but for power.
eg: Corvette= 8L and 500HP

If you want to know how to eliminate Turbo Lag, send your mail in a PM and I´ll give you a very complete and graphical explanation of the Porsche VGT

The Z06 (as someone else mentioned) has a 7.0L V-8 that gets 16-24 mpg. I personally don't find most American cars as suitable to my tastes, but the Corvette is definitely one that piques my interest. I don't really understand why you're labeling it as uneconomical and inefficient. When compared to a Prius maybe, but the 911 Turbo make 480 hp and gets 18-25 mpg. I don't know what 500 bhp Porsche you're referring to, unless you mean the new 530 bhp GT2. That will presumably have less mpg but we can't be certain because Porsche's website says that the mpg is n/a. :wink: Which means they're trying to avoid releasing that particular number at this time.

I'd venture to say the the Porsche (although a marvelous work of art) is far more inefficient and uneconomical considering the massive hemorrhage of money necessary to secure one.
Jesus loves ya!

West
West

Belatti wrote:Superchargers are for North American cars, as they dont usually care for fuel economy and efficiency (they still have enough oil from Irak :oops: ) but for power.
The blundermobile McLaren SLR uses a 5.5 V8, supercharged, as does Mercedes AMG E55, SL55; almost any AMG 55 besides the C-class, CLK and SLK.

The Corvette Z06 also does not have to pay gas-guzzler taxes, and reportedly gets 26mpg on the freeway. Not to mention it whoops every other car's ass out there.

Sometimes these posts "against" Americans are really retarded.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Ciro Pabón

Well, West, I agree with you. But I cannot avoid to wonder why "America" (USA) get so much flak lately.... ummm... let me think for a moment... :lol:

I know, I know: it's because you're number 1. :wink:

Look: this is the new Austin Power's Corvette, or so I imagine (BTW, why do all british secret agents get a Corvette lately? I'm not counting Bond: that guy lives drunk):

Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

The corvette does that at constants 50mph in a freeway, when 4 cilinders are disconected

I know some Mercedes have "kompressors", but I dont like them...

The thing is this, dear WEST: in my personal opinion, NORTH american cars are ugly and with big unneficient V8 engines. Eventhoug I like the Dodge Charger!!!
"THIS WAS NOT A POST AGAINST AMERICANS" ==> IT WAS AN OPINION ABOUT AMERCAN CAR MANUFACTURERS

SEE THIS ARTICLE RELATED: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/news ... ars-today/

Now, this shold be not a topic of argue in this forum, but no one can deny that "Uncle Tom", "God save the queen" and their aliated friends are making disasters in middle east and half of the population doesnt seem to care, and the other half, who once protested, then continued with their comfortable life.

PS: at least you have some car manufacturers, my country barely has industry and our government sucks too! but what governmet doesnt???

PD: Ciro, mandale saludos a Uribe de mi parte!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

zender05
zender05

Belatti wrote:The corvette does that at constants 50mph in a freeway, when 4 cilinders are disconected
:roll: So you're saying you don't want good engineering? Take away that Porsche's VTG, then what "inefficiencies" will you have?
Belatti wrote:I know some Mercedes have "kompressors", but I dont like them...
:roll: So because you're not as biased against German manufacturers, you let something slide?
Belatti wrote:The thing is this, dear WEST: in my personal opinion, NORTH american cars are ugly and with big unneficient V8 engines. Eventhoug I like the Dodge Charger!!!
"THIS WAS NOT A POST AGAINST AMERICANS" ==> IT WAS AN OPINION ABOUT AMERCAN CAR MANUFACTURERS
"Dear West"? :? This is the same kind of thinking and attitude that breeds animosity between cultures and nations. Opinions need not always be stated. Some tact is required in day to day life.
Belatti wrote:SEE THIS ARTICLE RELATED: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/news ... ars-today/

Now, this shold be not a topic of argue in this forum, but no one can deny that "Uncle Tom", "God save the queen" and their aliated friends are making disasters in middle east and half of the population doesnt seem to care, and the other half, who once protested, then continued with their comfortable life.

PS: at least you have some car manufacturers, my country barely has industry and our government sucks too! but what governmet doesnt???
If this shouldn't have been a topic of discussion at this forum, why did you submit grossly misstated and misleading information? (referring to your earlier post, not the link. I agree with the facts, if not the wording of the author of that article)

I'm sorry if I come across a bit harsh or mean, but your statements are childish. I don't bash Argentinian stuff (unless maybe I'm joking) and I try to discredit things only if they truly are stupid. Not just stupid in my opinion, but in my experiences, hopefully backed up by fact as well.

Good day to you.
Jesus loves ya!

Belatti
Belatti

Zender, you missunderstood me all!
1) I dont let mercedes slide, but i dont know wich of them has superchargers, i know some of them has compresors (not SC)
2) I do want good engineering, thats not cutting off 4 cilinders, thats making 8 cilinders flexible and efficient
zender05 wrote: I'm sorry if I come across a bit harsh or mean, but your statements are childish. I don't bash Argentinian stuff (unless maybe I'm joking) and I try to discredit things only if they truly are stupid. Not just stupid in my opinion, but in my experiences, hopefully backed up by fact as well.

Good day to you.
"If they are really stupid"... well man... that will always be your opinion. WHAT IS REALITY? WHO CAN DEFINE IT?

I dont know why some poeple are so paranoid, in did never bash american people especifically, I like some american people and some not, and that´s the same with every country in the world to me.

I just stated my opinion. Now I read your opinion, I´ll respect that, even if I dont agree, it will be a feedback to me, after all, thas why a forum exists (to expres and read opinions!!!)

PD: Ok maybe I´m childish or I vomit words with out thinking too much about other people, but at least I´m honest about what i think!

zender05
zender05

Belatti wrote:Zender, you missunderstood me all!
1) I dont let mercedes slide, but i dont know wich of them has superchargers, i know some of them has compresors (not SC)
2) I do want good engineering, thats not cutting off 4 cilinders, thats making 8 cilinders flexible and efficient
zender05 wrote: I'm sorry if I come across a bit harsh or mean, but your statements are childish. I don't bash Argentinian stuff (unless maybe I'm joking) and I try to discredit things only if they truly are stupid. Not just stupid in my opinion, but in my experiences, hopefully backed up by fact as well.

Good day to you.
"If they are really stupid"... well man... that will always be your opinion. WHAT IS REALITY? WHO CAN DEFINE IT?

I dont know why some poeple are so paranoid, in did never bash american people especifically, I like some american people and some not, and that´s the same with every country in the world to me.

I just stated my opinion. Now I read your opinion, I´ll respect that, even if I dont agree, it will be a feedback to me, after all, thas why a forum exists (to expres and read opinions!!!)

PD: Ok maybe I´m childish or I vomit words with out thinking too much about other people, but at least I´m honest about what i think!
Personally I find deactivating cylinders when not in use a respectable way to gain efficiency. Not as elegant, but it gets the job done while not being too expensive. Besides, Honda uses DOD (sorry, I only remember the archaic term) in their minivans to good effect as well. It's not just the 'big lumbering V8's' from America.

When I said I try to discredit things that truly are stupid, I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I meant things that I think of as stupid, such as a $10,000 guitar, or a sports car that can't come with a proper manual transmission. I do think that some of what you said was closed-minded opinion but I don't think it was stupid.

Expressing yourself honestly is good! Just remember to add a bit of tact in as well. Sorry on my behalf for being so chiding.
Jesus loves ya!

wazojugs

Turbos are the best! Well i am biased since i collected my impreza this morning :) another car to the small but hopefully growing collection

kurtiejjj
kurtiejjj

Didn't volkswagen launched a Golf which had both a supercharger and a turbocharger? I read somewhere that it was absolutely horrible?