Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shooty81
Shooty81

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Diesel wrote:
If it was fully compressed, how is it able to compress further on the loaded side through the corners? :wtf:

EDIT: Just watched it again and placed my cursor on part of the pushrod for reference, it's definitely not "full compressed", it hardly changes down the straight, only through the corners.
This is a typical behavior of a stiff third spring, and/or a bumpstop in the third spring.
The third spring prevents the suspension from compressing both sides at the same time.

During cornering the cornersprings/anti roll bar do their work. Seems the roll stiffness is way softer than the heave stiffness. Exactly what you would expect from an aero dependent formula with strong ride night sensivity.

By the way: do they still use their hydraulic coupling?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Shooty81 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
If it was fully compressed, how is it able to compress further on the loaded side through the corners? :wtf:

EDIT: Just watched it again and placed my cursor on part of the pushrod for reference, it's definitely not "full compressed", it hardly changes down the straight, only through the corners.
This is a typical behavior of a stiff third spring, and/or a bumpstop in the third spring.
The third spring prevents the suspension from compressing both sides at the same time.

During cornering the cornersprings/anti roll bar do their work. Seems the roll stiffness is way softer than the heave stiffness. Exactly what you would expect from an aero dependent formula with strong ride night sensivity.

Great answer =D> I think you are referring to the FRIC suspension? It was banned mid season last year, I can't remember the reason.

ismail1991
ismail1991

Diesel wrote:
Shooty81 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Great answer =D> I think you are referring to the FRIC suspension? It was banned mid season last year, I can't remember the reason.
They don't use the system at which all of the suspension at each wheels were connected to each other. However, they might still use hydraulic coupling between front left and right tires and rear right and left tires separately as far as I know

Jordan44

Diesel wrote:
Shooty81 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

The reason was that the word on the street was that Merc's FRIC was more advanced than everyone else's. So the FIA thought it would reduce their advantage by banning it. Just like they tried to do with Red Bull with their exhausts/diffusors. In both instances, nothing happened. It's probably the Merc suspension being very advanced overall and FRIC was just a small part of it.

Sevach
Sevach

"It is seven tokens," added Cowell. "We have spent three tokens on the combustion aspect of the engine. The other four tokens I would rather not say where we spent them."

Info comes from here.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... est-engine

jetho
jetho

Aaronque wrote: Image
Can somebody please tell me what purpose the fin in front of the cockpit opening serves? I've been wondering this for a long time but couldn't find an answer. It's also found on other cars in different designs.

Drica

jetho wrote:
Can somebody please tell me what purpose the fin in front of the cockpit opening serves? I've been wondering this for a long time but couldn't find an answer. It's also found on other cars in different designs.
I believe its used to hold the screen drivers use when they are in pits

Steven
Owner

jetho wrote:
It's to meet the technical regulations that require the driver's helmet to always sit underneath a straight line between the front of the cockpit and the top of the roll hoop. Because the FIA measures this via a bar that is put onto the car on its centreline, this fin virtually raises the front of the cockpit, making it easier to fit the driver (and it allows him a slight improvement in visibility).

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think it goes back to the days when the cars had a forward roll hoop in front of the cockpit. As Steven says, the rules measure between roll hoops to ensure driver protection. A bit moot these days but the rule has never been repealed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1NAC

From 2016 on that position will probably be safetycameras developed by magneti marelli that will be faced to drivers head so FIA can have quality footage in case of accident

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

There have been cameras in the front hoop position in the past to give a view of the driver. Never saw much footage from them during the races but I'm sure I remember Montoya and M. Schumacher being viewed that way.

The_Truth
The_Truth

Can a Formula One engine lose about two horsepower due use every single race?

Is that truth?

Moose
Moose

The_Truth wrote:Can a Formula One engine lose about two horsepower due use every single race?

Is that truth?
Much more than only 2 horsepower. I'd bet on around 5-10hp per race. That would leave rosberg down around 30-60 this race.

JDC123
JDC123

Steven wrote:
jetho wrote:
It's to meet the technical regulations that require the driver's helmet to always sit underneath a straight line between the front of the cockpit and the top of the roll hoop. Because the FIA measures this via a bar that is put onto the car on its centreline, this fin virtually raises the front of the cockpit, making it easier to fit the driver (and it allows him a slight improvement in visibility).
I think it is also used to block wind from hitting the driver's hand through corners when he turns the wheel when some drivers choose to have a solid one rather than the one of rosberg's cockpit pictures above with the clots/jagged edges

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

We're not talking about the windscreen, we're talking about the fin that runs front to back in front of the cockpit.