Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Sneaky!. Sauber did this trick a few years ago.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

RicME85

Holm86 wrote:
Think its just like the old chimneys??
Like on this Sauber C30
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg
Gridlock wrote:I can'y find the tweet now but Scarbs said they're just part of the crash structure, "no orifice".
turbof1 wrote:If it is the crash structure, which I very much suspect it is, you cannot open it. That crash structure is completely standarized, so no changes on it are allowed. If anything, either it's shadow or Mercedes painted it black.
I tweeted Scarbs
RicME85 wrote:
RicME85 wrote:It looks like the end is uncapped, like they are venting out of it
Deceiving picture is deceiving.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/701723826086871040

ringo

e30ernest wrote:
ringo wrote:
turbof1 wrote:If it is the crash structure, which I very much suspect it is, you cannot open it. That crash structure is completely standarized, so no changes on it are allowed. If anything, either it's shadow or Mercedes painted it black.
The crash structure may be the lump at the very top of the side pod opening. This lump may simply be a cooling outlet.
The are it's located in doesn't have restrictions on openings in the bodywork IIRC.
Pardon me if this is a stupid notion, but if an opening is legal there, what if it's the reason for the unusually large air intake?
I'm not sure if it is. But it's possibly related to the intercooler they have inside the tub, or the batteries inside the tub.
For Sure!!

OO7
OO7

ringo wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
ringo wrote:
The crash structure may be the lump at the very top of the side pod opening. This lump may simply be a cooling outlet.
The are it's located in doesn't have restrictions on openings in the bodywork IIRC.
Pardon me if this is a stupid notion, but if an opening is legal there, what if it's the reason for the unusually large air intake?
I'm not sure if it is. But it's possibly related to the intercooler they have inside the tub, or the batteries inside the tub.
Just an aside:
AMuS F1: "The intercooler has migrated from the chassis to the back of the airbox. In direct vicinity of the charger."

PlatinumZealot

So they have clocked the compressor 180 degrees to make it point upwards to the intercooler then... ?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Aaronque
Aaronque

So it seems that the mercedes esque front wing is the most effective one that almost all 2016 car has one =D>

Aaronque
Aaronque

Aaronque
Aaronque

michl420
michl420

Yes, they are standarized, but i think they are hollow and open on both sides.
But there is this rule:
The impact absorbing structures defined by Article 15.5.2 must be fully enclosed by bodywork, such that no part of the impact structure is in contact with the external air flow.

RicME85

Can no-one read? I answered the whole 'is that crash structure open' question around 11am, I asked if it was and Scarbs tweeted back saying it wasnt. I even quoted the post I made just a few posts up

michl420
michl420

RicMe 85 Sorry, I missed it !

Longley
Longley

michl420 wrote:
But there is this rule:
The impact absorbing structures defined by Article 15.5.2 must be fully enclosed by bodywork, such that no part of the impact structure is in contact with the external air flow.
Based on this definition of rule 3.8.6:

Would it be legal to put a thin tube inside the crash structure and connect the inner tube with the bodywork to fullfill rule 3.8.6?
Maybe to let some hot air out of the chassis or have some sort of extra air beneficial for the air flow to the diffuser...
(If the crash structure is hollow and open on both sides)

Or are there other restrictions that do not allow this idea?

Thx

F1Krof

Longley wrote:
michl420 wrote:
But there is this rule:
Based on this definition of rule 3.8.6:

Would it be legal to put a thin tube inside the crash structure and connect the inner tube with the bodywork to fullfill rule 3.8.6?
Maybe to let some hot air out of the chassis or have some sort of extra air beneficial for the air flow to the diffuser...
(If the crash structure is hollow and open on both sides)

Or are there other restrictions that do not allow this idea?

Thx
It's the same thing with or without a tube, the out facing structure parts still would be open as the tube would then be part of the crash structure. Also, I would assume that the impact structure is not allowed to have anything running through it. I'm eager to find out though, if they'd found something, holy malony I guess this is what Toto's been talking about.
Wroom wroom

Sevach
Sevach

The bodywork "leg" is now fixed on the floor again, late 2015 it wasn't.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare