2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

So I know the aero regs are important this year but it just seems to me like even more so important are the tires (they always are..stating the obvious I think) but it's still a PU driven formula. I am surprised Red Bull is not rattling the cages more with threats of pulling out of F1.

godlameroso

Ana wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 15:24
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 08:43
If the race was this weekend, id take notice of the forecast, but 10 days away.... they never seem to get it right.
We never know how the weather turns up? 10 days before is a big gamble.
Not a gamble if nothing is wagered, there's a real probability of rain this weekend particularly Sunday.

And possibly Friday and Saturday but not as likely as Sunday.
Saishū kōnā

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

godlameroso wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 20:47
Ana wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 15:24
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 08:43

<weather>

<weather>

<weather>

Just for a bit of context, could you educate us about your weather modelling, and how accurate it is compared with traditional forecasts? I remember you posting something earlier this year, which seemed impressive, but I can't remember the details and other users seem to have missed it.

godlameroso

It's a software package that takes aggregate data from a variety of sources, both real time and historical. So yes part of it is ECFS and GFS and other models but there's more to it. Local weather stations, historical trends, both yearly and monthly, topography, vegetation density, even space weather plays a role.

No matter how advanced a model is, it's still just a guess, some guesses are better than others because they account for more variables, but it's guessing non the less.

Ok less chance of Sunday rain, Friday afternoon session could get rain towards the end.
Saishū kōnā

Tauri_J
Tauri_J

looks like we'll have a very wet sunday

PlatinumZealot

marvin78 wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 15:40
The problem is, I think the Mercedes was by far the best car from the beginning of the season but they din't understand it right. Mercedes is so good in these things. Not only did they understand the car and it's fragile setup, they even mastered it and they have by far the best PU (we could see that in Baku in a very clear light on the last stint). The theory is: The Ferrari is a good car, but the Mercedes is far better. As it was the 3 seasons before. I don't see how Ferrari can beat that.
Being impartial here.
As the Americans say "run what you brung!" They mean the car you have on the day is the car you have on the day. It is not about the car being fastest IF this part was sorted or if the tyres were warmer.. Or the gearbox didn't grenade on lap 2... No. The best car is the one that shows the fastest pace over the whole race.

With that said, i think the Ferrsri was the fastest car in the opening races. And i do believe the ferrari engine is just as strong if not stronger in the races. It was equal in some sessions (Barcelona) but weaker in most of the Qualifying sessions. And i think that is down to Ferrari still working on ERS mapping or saving engine life. Right now from Canada and Baku the Mercedes is the fastest in clean air but it looks about even to Ferrari in dirty air. Lewis easily put gaps to Vettel while leading in Baku but he had no answer for Vettel when he was behind him. He was pretty much helpless.

As a Mercedes supporter i hope that mercedes unlocks it potential even more and turn to the outright fastest car in all conditions because the Ferrari is too close for comfort. I don't care who is the best driver. it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or ten car legnths. Granny shifting when you should be double clutching i dont care. Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Juzh

People still believe, even after baku +1.1s in Q3, that ferrari is more or less equal in PU performance.

Newsflash, it isn't, and it's not even close.

motobaleno

Juzh wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 12:07
People still believe, even after baku +1.1s in Q3, that ferrari is more or less equal in PU performance.

Indeed
I think that it is close (but still behind) in race trim
and actually not even close in quali trim

ClarkBT11

Can't wait for this weekend. Vettlel's public humiliation, "sorry for being a bad boy FIA said next time I'm definitely in trouble" and everyone rubbing the salt in his wounded ego. I wonder how many black flags we'll see with Vettel's face on it. Can Ferrari's reliability withstand the higher altitude, the turbo will be working harder for sure.

SR71

Juzh wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 12:07

Mercedes upgraded PU is more powerful than the same power unit Vettel started the season with?

Apples and oranges.

PUs are detuned to a predefined mapping after each race weekend. Might only be a HP or two over all but still impactful on performance nonetheless.

dans79

SR71 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:31
PUs are detuned to a predefined mapping after each race weekend. Might only be a HP or two over all but still impactful on performance nonetheless.
If memory serves, Kimi had an updated power unit, and he was pretty far off the pace....
201 105 104 9 9 7

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:46
SR71 wrote:
If memory serves, Kimi had an updated power unit, and he was pretty far off the pace....
Kimi's car was severely damaged.

I think in race trim they are equal. If they weren't Ham would have easily overtook Vettel in Baku.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:53
dans79 wrote:
SR71 wrote:

I think in race trim they are equal. If they weren't Ham would have easily overtook Vettel in Baku.
I was referring to qualifying.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 22:53
dans79 wrote:
SR71 wrote:

Hamilton had damage as well and mercedes was miles faster on the straights.

Vasconia

ClarkBT11 wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:22
Can't wait for this weekend. Vettlel's public humiliation, "sorry for being a bad boy FIA said next time I'm definitely in trouble" and everyone rubbing the salt in his wounded ego. I wonder how many black flags we'll see with Vettel's face on it. Can Ferrari's reliability withstand the higher altitude, the turbo will be working harder for sure.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Everyone rubbing the salt in his wonded ego? ah come onnnnnnnnnnnnn

He has scaped from a further penalty, I think things have gone pretty well for him.