2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 14:37
Yeah. Dry friday and Sat. Wet on sunday. We need a race of chaos, its been a while since we had one.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hamilton doesn´t like your post.

Vasconia

vas_04614 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 14:10
rscsr wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:42
Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 09:33

Wow! =D> =D>

Its the weather forecast reliable in your country?
it usually is
Hopefully it's not a full wet weekend, as there won't be much running until qualifying.
Well if both qualy and race are wet they will run (almost) normally because they need to collect date and know how the car behaves under those conditions. If there is a dry race FP1 and FP2 will be boring as hell.

godlameroso

F1Arg wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 15:13
godlameroso wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 14:10
It's a software package that takes aggregate data from a variety of sources, both real time and historical. So yes part of it is ECFS and GFS and other models but there's more to it. Local weather stations, historical trends, both yearly and monthly, topography, vegetation density, even space weather plays a role.

No matter how advanced a model is, it's still just a guess, some guesses are better than others because they account for more variables, but it's guessing non the less.

Ok less chance of Sunday rain, Friday afternoon session could get rain towards the end.
As long as people take it in a deterministic way, it'll always be wrong. The challenge is to reduce standard dev
I agree, that's why I went the probabilistic route.
Saishū kōnā

Manjhi
Manjhi

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 14:37
Yeah. Dry friday and Sat. Wet on sunday. We need a race of chaos, its been a while since we had one.
:wtf: :wtf: Did u saw Baku GP or not ?
That was all I asked from 2017 F1 season.

I am already drooling with the news regarding rain on Sunday.. [-o<

ClarkBT11

iotar__ wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 13:00
ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:05
It's put FIA in a worse light that's twice they've said next time your in trouble. Pastor received a five grid penalty as well as a 10 second penalty for causing a collision, maybe that would of been the right decision.

Who's good in the wet this year? We've only had one session wet in a weekend so not everyone was bothered to go out because it wasn't representable for qualy or race. Verstappen has been very confident this year and is one of the best in the rain, another Redbull victory on the cards?
About Maldo penalty comparison: apples to oranges on two levels, they basically don't give penalties in '17, Sainz for something worse (than Maldo) got 3 places grid, use that as a comparison if you want to make one. Do you or is it about the biggest extra penalty?

Rain forecast = here comes my driver is the bestest in the wet and Massa isn't. I need to find a handy list of bad wet races of certain popular driver that includes above mentioned Brazil, crane, gravel trap etc ;-).

More interesting is who'd benefit from rainy weekend, judging by China perhaps it would be less favourable for Ferrari (tyres?). On the other hand if they're affected by a ban of oil engine tricks (one lap) it might be the opposite. I wouldn't mind a chaotic race.
Sorry, three grid places,it was of the top of my head and the closest example for comparison.

Come on join in, be open for a bit of criticism who's your favourite? Instead of backhanded sarcasm. Also if your statement was true I would of said Hamilton lapping everyone.

That's the point of the question, the wet tyres could be a total different equation. Who uses full power in the rain, the extra oil could be used to keep Kimi and Vettel's feet warm. Stop concentrating on the negatives.

ClarkBT11

Phil wrote:
Will wet be bad for Mercedes as it will make it more difficult to get heat in the tires?
The last two circuits Mercedes haven't had trouble generating heat into the tyres. Could be possible no one will be able to get the wets into the right temp if they're too hard or the psi too high, it's going to be interesting. Hopefully the blocks on the tyres let everyone get them in the right window.
Redbull had good traction when everyone was running off track in the cooler conditions in Baku, they could be the ones to watch. We can also see how good McLaren's chassis is when the power deficit is leveled in the wet, especially with Alonso behind the wheel.

GoranF1
GoranF1

I know this is a bit OT but i need a quick info...did Jules Binchi accident happend under VSC or SC ? Thanks.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

F1NAC

GoranF1 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 18:10
I know this is a bit OT but i need a quick info...did Jules Binchi accident happend under VSC or SC ? Thanks.
VSC didn't exist back then. Because of that incident it was introduced in first place. Accident happened during double yellow flags

GoranF1
GoranF1

F1NAC wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 18:17
GoranF1 wrote:
VSC didn't exist back then. Because of that incident it was introduced in first place. Accident happened during double yellow flags
Hvala.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GoranF1 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 18:27
F1NAC wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Hvala.
what?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tomazy
tomazy

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 19:57
GoranF1 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 18:27
F1NAC wrote:

Hvala.
what?
It means thank you in my language.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:36
ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:05

It's put FIA in a worse light that's twice they've said next time your in trouble. Pastor received a five grid penalty as well as a 10 second penalty for causing a collision, maybe that would of been the right decision.

Who's good in the wet this year? We've only had one session wet in a weekend so not everyone was bothered to go out because it wasn't representable for qualy or race. Verstappen has been very confident this year and is one of the best in the rain, another Redbull victory on the cards?
Yeah, I think this could habe been an appropiate penalty.

Back to Austria, Ferrari should be strong due to their high downforce. Vettel is usually good on the rain, Hamilton too and Vestappen should be fast as well.

But it will be interesting to see if Mercedes is as fast as usually is.

Anyone expecting a disaster for Williams? Massa hasn´t been good when it rains(great exception was Brazil 08 tough) and Williams has been pretty weak in the last seasons when there was a wet race. So... :mrgreen:
I expect the Mercedes to wipe the floor with Ferrari in Austria. Austria is very much a power hungry track. Mercedes works and customer teams will once again dominate their rivals, just like they did in Canada and Baku.
Once Ferrari bring their rumored upgrade in Silverstone the balance of power may shift, but even if the upgrade is not effective, I believe Ferrari can win at Silverstone, and Hungary, as I think their chassis and aero is better than Merc's.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Phil wrote:
Will wet be bad for Mercedes as it will make it more difficult to get heat in the tires?

Wet weather helps Ferrari for sure. That is the only way I see them beating Merc this weekend. In dry weather Mercedes should make it look pretty easy, barring no accidents, technical issues, etc...

dans79

If Mercedes has truly got the tires figured out, I think it will be an easy Merc pole, and win. Singapore might be the only race left this year Ferrari has a chance at, if Merc is on-top of the tires.
201 105 104 9 9 7

djos

If it's a wet race I'm putting money on Max to win assuming he doesn't crash out on the first lap or blow his engine.
"In downforce we trust"