2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

dans79 wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 23:22
If Mercedes has truly got the tires figured out, I think it will be an easy Merc pole, and win. Singapore might be the only race left this year Ferrari has a chance at, if Merc is on-top of the tires.
Mercedes' philosophy of chasing downforce through longer wheel base should become evident in the upcoming races. Most of the stop and go circuits are over, which was supposed to be Achilles heals for W08, though a lot of it was conquered in Russia, Canada and Baku (smooth asphalt, slow turns).

Anyone know if Mercedes is planning to introduce PU upgrade anytime sooner? Last time they did was in Spain and was primarily for reliability purposes, which helped run their aggressive mode for longer in races. OR do we see the normal procedure of a new PU being introduced in time for Spa?

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
If Mercedes has truly got the tires figured out, I think it will be an easy Merc pole, and win. Singapore might be the only race left this year Ferrari has a chance at, if Merc is on-top of the tires.
Hungary should be another good one for Ferrari. And with the upcoming PU update, why not Silverstone?

Vasconia

http://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/formula1.asp

Temp Feels Rain Cloud Weather
9 Austria Practice 26°c 28°c 0.0mm
9 Austria Qualifying 28°c 31°c 1.3mm
9 Austria Race 23°c 25°c 9.5mm

matt_b
matt_b

If it's wet then going by China and the new understanding of the set up getting heat into the tyres I expect Mercedes to be the strongest. In the dry however I still think it's too close to call come race day, I think Ferrari still have the pace to try a clever undercut or alternative strategy to win proving they don't get pole. Personally I don't want a wet race or a dry race, mixed conditions is where the fun happens.

Juzh

+1.1s advantage from 2 weeks ago is not going to magically disappear all of a sudden. it might get halved due to shorter track and less mile long straights which rely heavily on the mgu-h, but I still expect a comfortable merc 1-2 in quali and race, bar any drama.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 08:31
dans79 wrote:
Hungary should be another good one for Ferrari. And with the upcoming PU update, why not Silverstone?
Ferrari can have a good outing in Hungary, "IF" they get pole.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 11:29
Vasconia wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Ferrari can have a good outing in Hungary, "IF" they get pole.
I think the word you try to find is "undercut". You´re welcome.

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
dans79 wrote:
As Juzh said, the gap we saw in Baku isn't going to go away in two weeks. Unless Merc has an issue, or Ferrari was hiding an issue on both cars in Baku, I expect Merc will have the advantage. The next several races are all either PU biased, or track position biased.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 11:57
Vasconia wrote:
dans79 wrote:
As Juzh said, the gap we saw in Baku isn't going to go away in two weeks. Unless Merc has an issue, or Ferrari was hiding an issue on both cars in Baku, I expect Merc will have the advantage. The next several races are all either PU biased, or track position biased.
I don´t deny the fact that Mercedes should be ahead but the difference seen in Baku was exaggerated. Ferrari should be much closer though behind.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 12:14
I don´t deny the fact that Mercedes should be ahead but the difference seen in Baku was exaggerated. Ferrari should be much closer though behind.
Do you mean exaggerated because Ferrari couldn't use their apparent PU steroid additive and so went backwards during the long Baku straights during qualifying? I agree that Austria being a short circuit and lacking the monster straights of Baku is going to have less of a gap to whatever time Mercedes puts up there, but that would apply to everyone not just Ferrari.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NathanOlder

Do we know what drivers will be in the press conference tomorrow ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 15:48
Vasconia wrote:
Do you mean exaggerated because Ferrari couldn't use their apparent PU steroid additive and so went backwards during the long Baku straights during qualifying? I agree that Austria being a short circuit and lacking the monster straights of Baku is going to have less of a gap to whatever time Mercedes puts up there, but that would apply to everyone not just Ferrari.
It will be interesting to see if the expected PU update for Silverstone can solve this problem. But firstly let´s see if Austria confirms that Ferrari suffers that much form this ban.

cplchanb
cplchanb

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 16:05
Do we know what drivers will be in the press conference tomorrow ?
they need to have vet and ham sitting side by side tomorrow

giantfan10
giantfan10

Vasconia wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 16:24
TAG wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 15:48
Vasconia wrote:
It will be interesting to see if the expected PU update for Silverstone can solve this problem. But firstly let´s see if Austria confirms that Ferrari suffers that much form this ban.
Its amazing to me how suddenly in a few weeks time mercedes has suddenly been cleared by the general public in the oil burning accusation game and its now Ferrari who are guilty.
Funny how Horner is the chief accuser in both instances.
Who is he going to accuse next Force india?
So mercedes denied burning oil and its accepted, Ferrari denies burning oil and its rejected...hmmm i wonder why?
Baku is being held up as evidence that Ferrari must have stopped burning oil...does Vettel using an old detuned Pu have anything to do with the deficit in qualifying on a power track no less?
Kimi of course is the poster child for underachievement so his performance has been rejected.

Phil

...and Charlie Whiting in there too, please. Heck, Jean Todt too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter