2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

restless wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 17:25
Can you point me at time labels in that video when we see difference?
Watched it twice, both cars have similar patterns of flashing red :S
I thought flashing red was on when engine load is significantly changed...

Explanations I found:
Kicks on when the driver lifts off the throttle and KERS is harvesting. This is because KERS harvest puts load on the drivetrain and sort of acts like a brake. Give the following driver a heads up that the driver lifted.
drivers have to free wheel more (coasting). They are doing this when approaching corners. To warn drivers that are behind the light flashes as a warning.
So, the driver HAS to lift off the throttle. How is this translating into "no juice for mgu-k" ???
Both straights in the first 30 sec of the video, Alonso starts flashing half way down the straight, Kevin only flashes toward the end of the straight.

I believe the light goes on when the MGU starts harvesting irrespective of braking

restless
restless

You are right, there are flashes at 0.27 and 0.44 which the car ahead doesn't have

zoroastar

i dont know if anyone has stayed behind the mclaren honda cars this year for more than a lap.
restless wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 15:43
I don't doubt the fact I'm interested in calculating the amount of it

Squid
Squid

zoroastar wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 04:10
i dont know if anyone has stayed behind the mclaren honda cars this year for more than a lap.
restless wrote:
Malaysia, the Williams couldn't get past Stoffel.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Macklaren wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 19:04
restless wrote:

Explanations I found:
Kicks on when the driver lifts off the throttle and KERS is harvesting. This is because KERS harvest puts load on the drivetrain and sort of acts like a brake. Give the following driver a heads up that the driver lifted.
drivers have to free wheel more (coasting). They are doing this when approaching corners. To warn drivers that are behind the light flashes as a warning.
So, the driver HAS to lift off the throttle. How is this translating into "no juice for mgu-k" ???
Both straights in the first 30 sec of the video, Alonso starts flashing half way down the straight, Kevin only flashes toward the end of the straight.

I believe the light goes on when the MGU starts harvesting irrespective of braking
I think deployment and harvesting are programmed by the team for every track. So I don't think all all cars are going to deploy and harvest in the same places.

Remember in Spa when Honda didn't program Alonso's ECU properly and it failed to deploy because he took the Pouhon corner flat out and the computer thought he was supposed to lift in that corner?

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 04:10
restless wrote:
You can check the regs for the exact explanation of the flashing red light. To my understand it is to warn the cars behind that the car has lost MGU-K power. You'd have to be on he accelerator for it to flash. I also believe the you'd have be at full throttle.

It will vary from track to track ...Depends on things like % of Full throttle. While the full throttle is rather low in Mexico there are back to back straights. If you're depleted down the first straight, you're not gonna have anything on the second straight. So they likely cut out early on the first straight to leave some for the 2nd straight.

etusch

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 05:34
Macklaren wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 19:04
restless wrote:

Explanations I found:

I think deployment and harvesting are programmed by the team for every track. So I don't think all all cars are going to deploy and harvest in the same places.

Remember in Spa when Honda didn't program Alonso's ECU properly and it failed to deploy because he took the Pouhon corner flat out and the computer thought he was supposed to lift in that corner?
What I see from Mercedes race preparing video, for sure teams makes track specific settings for every race. They're doing this with simulation of a test driver. If that driver ease the throttle for turning pouhon everytime engineers can't know Fernando's full throttle. But now they know that pouhon can be turned full throttle.
I think harvesting not change too much but deployment...

mclaren111

LOVE THIS LOOK !!!!!!!!!

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 09:14
https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/amp ... 187810.jpg

LOVE THIS LOOK !!!!!!!!!
Its coming from Motorsport.com and Autosport shared it as well, both sister magazines and closely related to Zak Brown. I think they do another probe with the fans to check the feedback ect before they decide on the final looks as the text itself concludes.

I like a lot, just the red Mclaren sing on top of the nose does not fit at all
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

restless
restless

Who cares about colors of livery?!
Is it fast is all that matters.
10y from now noone will remember exact colors.

mclaren111

restless wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:57
Who cares about colors of livery?!
Is it fast is all that matters.
10y from now noone will remember exact colors.

What's wrong with wanting a Fast AND Good Looking Car ??

dren

The red looks out of place.
Honda!

JonoNic

dren wrote:The red looks out of place.
Yeah change the red to Renault yellow...

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

dren

I don't think I'd even do yellow. Make the Mclaren swoosh black or take them off.
Honda!

DFX
DFX

This livery looks awful to be honest, everything is out of place and the elements dont connect with each other.
I dont like the papaya orange very much, the 'rocket red' is good enough but is ruined by the livery.
It would be a nice treat to use the papaya on pre season tests, but I would like to see a better livery next year.