Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

The mid wing area is very interesting, with the barge-boards the side facing the tires is obviously the high pressure side, but the side pod end plates, this is inverted, the side facing the car is the high pressure side. This causes air to favor the chassis facing side of the barge boards, as airflow tends to favor the path of least resistance, and the airflow to go on the outside of the chassis at the side pod end plates. This is further reinforced by the horizontal diffuser on the floor under the side pod end plates.

The barge board floor slots feed more air to the horizontal diffuser which then merges with the vortecies shed from the side pod end plates.

The low pressure at the leading edge of the floor will cause more airflow to favor traveling underneath the car, this strengthens the effect at the very rear of the car.

The side pods have massive undercuts to increase the pressure in that area, this increases the pressure differential and further boosts the effectiveness of this area. I have a feeling that teams learned last year how significant this area has become. Red Bull's big step forward last year came right as they began developing this 'mid-wing' area.
Saishū kōnā

CmdrVOODOO

jagunx51 wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 15:07
that is noise !! =D> =D>
The cars sound much better in person and on video than they do on TV (especially in-car). I’m not sure why the the V6 hybrids sound so bad on TV, but they do. Unless they change how they pick up the sound on TV they still are going to sound just as bad as they always have.

KingLoe
KingLoe

Have to say after seeing this car the Williams and especially the Haas are looking seriously underdeveloped

PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

RB5 side pods! I love it.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 20 Feb 2018, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Sevach
Sevach

The RB9 had the coanda bridge, made it difficult to tell how compact it was, this is very much in the same shape of the RB7 however.

Vanja #66

I like the details on this car, it's definitely a child of Mr Newey, not some cast-out-bastard like launch-spec RB13. But to be honest, when I look at latest spec pictures of RB13, I see natural evolution, no revolution - even sidepod inlets aren't that different (although on first look they seem SF-70H ctrl-c-ctrl-v). FW41 is a huge step compared to FW40, of course that RB13 is a much better car to begin with, but much more could have been done to RB14.

Bigger analysis coming up from me, just wanted to share these first impressions... Don't hate me just 'cause Mr Gary Anderson thinks like me. :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

roon
roon

Magnificent.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

1.interesting camera pod housing on the nosecone
2.photoshop on the sidepod side impact structure looks pretty noob :P
3.mirror mount looks impressively narrow, mirrors have interesting 'venthole'
4.very complex array of wings, bargeboards, flow conditioners @ cockpit sides/side impact structures,
most frontward housed 'wings' in front of the 2 or 4 blue liveried ones look interesting too
5. still feel below the nosecone it's oddly 'calm'. i think during testing/melbourne the final spec will be much more complex
6. same goes for front wing, dispite it looking rather sophisticated.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

the EDGE
the EDGE

Manoah2u wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 19:55
http://abload.de/img/2gusov.jpg

4.very complex array of wings, bargeboards, flow conditioners @ cockpit sides/side impact structures,
most frontward housed 'wings' in front of the 2 or 4 blue liveried ones look interesting too
5. still feel below the nosecone it's oddly 'calm'. i think during testing/melbourne the final spec will be much more complex
Is that a vent hole on the wing mirrors or where the IR camera for tyre temps will go?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

the EDGE wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 20:09
Manoah2u wrote:
19 Feb 2018, 19:55
http://abload.de/img/2gusov.jpg

Is that a vent hole on the wing mirrors or where the IR camera for tyre temps will go?
i assume that if it was for the IR camera, it wouldn't need to be fully open from front to back
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

seezung
seezung

Some more on track pics:

Blackout

The new rules want the teams to place the ERS control units inside the surviving cell AFAIK, like the battery, so IMO that will let the teams who used to put them in the sidepods, under the rads (like the Renault powered teams) design tighter sidepods...

ollandos
ollandos

godlameroso

I'm wating for a top view, I want to see what they've done with the floor of the barge boards compared to the McLaren.

Saishū kōnā

Vanja #66

Ok, maybe I was too harsh 2 hours ago, RB14 is a nicely designed car, natural evolution of RB13 with certain solutions borrowed from competitors. A true signature car of Adrian Newey, no doubt. Still, I was hoping for something a bit more explosive, maybe Ferrari's SF-70H spoiled me too much. I haven't spent much time analyzing evolution of RB13, but it definitely came a long way, and this car is basically a natural next step. I mean, look at this boring thing...

A year is a long, long time in F1.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on lower picture (click for full size), basically all the solutions are evolutionary from last year (some are bigger steps, some are smaller).

Side pod inlets are not as aggressive as those on Williams or Haas, this is most likely Newey being Newey - I'll do it my own way. RB13 already had smallest side pod inlets of all cars, so it's not a surprise to see them like this on RB14. There are some nice vortex structures interacting between inlets, wings and side pod deflectors (color-mapped by pressure, simply for illustration). Unlike FW41, RB14 is focusing an getting the air to the coke-bottle zone from above side pods, as well as from around them (such grammar, very wow #-o ), while FW41 is focusing heavily on getting it there from around the undercut. This is also reducing the lift a lot and I feel RB14 is designed for as little lift as possible, much like RB13. Seeing it, I'm even more interested in W09 and new Ferrari (SF-18H maybe?).
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie