2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:17
Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:15
Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:00

Your hope, combinened with ten laps isn’t a basis to state that we have to agree with you. Last years chassis was eating up tires and had the worst scoring in Mclaren history.

Plus it’s quite possible, with a jump of Honda, they went from the slowest PU to the slowest PU.
You're implying that Renault is the slowest PU based on... what? Current timings are meaningless, and even if they did mean something, Renault are up top with Red Bull at the moment.
I don’t expect it that they are at the moment, just saying that it’s a possibility. It would fit in Alonso’s bad luck.
Sure, it's a possibility. It's also a "possibility" that Mercedes' engine could blow up on the 100th lap. It's also a "possibility" that McLaren will win the constructor's championship. Neither of those two things are remotely likely though.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:17
Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:15
Jolle wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:00

Your hope, combinened with ten laps isn’t a basis to state that we have to agree with you. Last years chassis was eating up tires and had the worst scoring in Mclaren history.

Plus it’s quite possible, with a jump of Honda, they went from the slowest PU to the slowest PU.
You're implying that Renault is the slowest PU based on... what? Current timings are meaningless, and even if they did mean something, Renault are up top with Red Bull at the moment.
I don’t expect it that they are at the moment, just saying that it’s a possibility. It would fit in Alonso’s bad luck.
i think your just going round Trolling TBH

Giblet
Giblet

Anthropolyte wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:09
There were discussions over the last couple of years about who was most at fault - McLaren for enforcing a design, or Honda for designing a poor engine.
McLaren is not an engine maker. They asked their new engine maker if they could do a size zero engine. The engine maker said "yes, we can make a size zero engine for you".

They couldn't. This was not Ron asking, Honda saying "No we can't don that", then Ron forcing them to do it anyways.

The blame lies on Honda.

Either way, I just hope all the PU's are similarly reliable this season.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Thunder18
Thunder18

Giblet wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:27
Anthropolyte wrote:
There were discussions over the last couple of years about who was most at fault - McLaren for enforcing a design, or Honda for designing a poor engine.
McLaren is not an engine maker. They asked their new engine maker if they could do a size zero engine. The engine maker said "yes, we can make a size zero engine for you".

They couldn't. This was not Ron asking, Honda saying "No we can't don that", then Ron forcing them to do it anyways.

The blame lies on Honda.
Yes they did, they just didn't make a successful one

Snorked
Snorked

GPR-A duplicate2

Oh... all you ladies, take a room and slug it out. Leave the forum for testing discussion.

Thunder18
Thunder18

Any other live feed from those not on bookface??

max_speed
max_speed

Snorked wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 16:29
Official live feed https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/video ... live_video
most useful link ever posted on this website.

CBeck113
CBeck113

“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bauc

GPR-A wrote:
Oh... all you ladies, take a room and slug it out. Leave the forum for testing discussion.
AGREED!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

matt_s
matt_s

Anthropolyte wrote:
I wonder if McLaren are being as difficult to work with as people have previously claimed - particularly following the words from Toro Rosso about having had no communications issues with Honda from the outset.
Well, that all depends on what your expectations are. I'm sure McLaren as an organisation would have a much higher expectation about where they should be on the grid. And also having had a previous successful partnership with Honda, they would certainly not settle for mediocre.

TR on the other hand are certainly going to be entering into this partnership with much lower expectations for performance this year. They have seen Honda struggle badly for the last 3 years, so they know what the baseline is.

That's not to say, of course, that everyone won't be pushing to the max and trying to drive the most from their partners. But I'm sure TR will be realistic.

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Interesting seeing Alonso and Sainz hitting personal bests through S1, but not improving overall... implies possibly that the setup is better in that sector than others, but what are the main differences? Just a quick glance suggests they're all similarly hard on the car, with the exception of the sharp left in S3.

*edit* actually scrap that, I was looking at an old layout. Guess both chassis are good on long corners and straights, and not so good at the twisty stuff.

Juzh

Ricciardo did his PB on a ~25 lap run on mediums, yes? Or was that a separate run?

TwanV
TwanV

Snorked wrote:
Official live feed https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/video ... live_video
@GoranF1, over to you :lol:

Juzh

Watching FB live stream ferrari at this point and time seems the most planted in T1/2/3, followed by renault, then mercedes.