2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

For some reason this is one of the most boring and steril testing in the last 10 years or so...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McMika98
McMika98

Although we cant read into performance levels due to temperature. It is very interesting that Mclaren are going for early glory runs and not running structured runs to understand the setup. Understand that early issues have not helped but they cant even match Renault atm and the best chassis delusion is unravelling as we speak.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Phil wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:29
DFX wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:54
It may not be trolling, but it sure sounds like it.
No, it’s called being factual. Most pf us want to see McLaren do well. Sitting in the garage while others are out driving despite less than ideal conditions isnt “according to plan”.

According to plan is what the top 3 have been doing. Being outthere, gathering data, simulations, learning.

Sitting innthe garage because a fault did occur is a perfect example of something NOT going according to plan. If it did, nothing would have failed in the first place.

It doesnt mean they cant recover, but it is what it is.
Having a hole in your hand is still better than having a hand in your hole- meaning better to have all of this sh!t now, than during the season.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:57
For some reason this is one of the most boring and steril testing in the last 10 years or so...
Yeah, call me siberian blast. :D

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

What the hell it was starting at 2:12?

BTW, those torches at Ferrari's back remind me forsage flames during take off. :lol:
Last edited by Yurasyk on 27 Feb 2018, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet
Giblet

McMika98 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:00
Although we cant read into performance levels due to temperature. It is very interesting that Mclaren are going for early glory runs and not running structured runs to understand the setup. Understand that early issues have not helped but they cant even match Renault atm and the best chassis delusion is unravelling as we speak.
You are reading far too much into the early days of testing and you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, but alas.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GM7 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:23
good god, can we take a moment to realise how dispicable and bad this new format is?
it looks like a dated teletext format from a long-outdated cheap television long overdue for a replacement #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DFX
DFX

Phil wrote:
DFX wrote:
No, it’s called being factual. Most pf us want to see McLaren do well. Sitting in the garage while others are out driving despite less than ideal conditions isnt “according to plan”.

According to plan is what the top 3 have been doing. Being outthere, gathering data, simulations, learning.

Sitting innthe garage because a fault did occur is a perfect example of something NOT going according to plan. If it did, nothing would have failed in the first place.

Being factual would be trying to access the reasoning behind the lack of running in the 2nd day instead of panicking and looking for someone to blame.

Is not ideal, but this is what pre season tests are for! To find out those kind of issues before the season starts.

GM7

Manoah2u wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:22
good god, can we take a moment to realise how dispicable and bad this new format is?
it looks like a dated teletext format from a long-outdated cheap television long overdue for a replacement #-o
This isn't the FOM design :lol: this is just an Excel document made by myself, i use a police who looks like the FOM :lol:

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

DFX wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:24
Phil wrote:
DFX wrote:

Being factual would be trying to access the reasoning behind the lack of running in the 2nd day instead of panicking and looking for someone to blame.

Is not ideal, but this is what pre season tests are for! To find out those kind of issues before the season starts.
Nice comment about being factual.. would rate up if i had any points.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

GM7 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:34
Manoah2u wrote:
This isn't the FOM design :lol: this is just an Excel document made by myself, i use a police who looks like the FOM :lol:
Ouch :lol: :lol:

Postmoe

GM7 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:34
Manoah2u wrote:
And it’s not so bad anyway

maxxer
maxxer

McHonda wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:21
DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:19
McHonda wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:17
On the exhaust bracket, do we think it's a hangover from Alonso's excursion yesterday or just one of those things the QC department should've caught?
Considering that it's really unlikely for gravel to damage that part of the exhaust, as well as the fact that they most likely had the engine cover off during the night and would've definitely caught any damage done there, I don't think it's related in any way.
Yeah,good point.
Sorry dude but Toro Rosso did 175 laps with the Honda engine today.
Mclaren did 88 with renault and red bull did 172 , so maybe mclaren isnt that good at integrating engines

techman
techman

good time by TR. hopefully the get their oversteering problem fixed. i reckon next test will give a better indication

GM7

The FOM design look like this, and it's actually good looking in my opinion :lol: