Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Another run by Max without the "Z" wing? Connecting the sidepod to the floor?

Sieper

Good catch, so I think they wanted confirmation from both drivers that sacrificing the drag for the improved grip is the way to go. And to see If possibly they could extract performance even without the flow conditioner.

roon
roon

More of those anhedral radiators. You can also see they are blocked off partially due to the cold weather.

gandharva

The sidepod winglets are slitted. We have seen this last year too.

Shakeman

the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:01
I think the difference with the Red bull chassis is that even down on power & released with compromised aero... it was still the 3rd quickest car
There you go making excuses for a team with one of the biggest budgets in F1...

TwanV
TwanV

Sieper wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:13
Good catch, so I think they wanted confirmation from both drivers that sacrificing the drag for the improved grip is the way to go. And to see If possibly they could extract performance even without the flow conditioner.
Not sure this is primarily about drag since any additional added downforce at the rear could decrease the drag generated by the rear wing, which is normally the biggest contributor. My bet is that it modifies the high/low speed balance difference.

Sieper

Yes indeed, that would seem more likely (I was just thinking about the drag the thing itself costs versus the benefit on the flow downstream but yes, your description is more accurate, better when I think about it) in any case, quite a crude testing method :).

gandharva

Day 2:

Day 3: 2017 frontwing concept

PhillipM
PhillipM

There's a far simpler, more normal explanation for the on/off runs with the vertical turning vanes - they're not working properly, and they're running correlation tests to see why.

mclaren111

Autosport:
Testing is all about trying things and yesterday Red Bull experimented with what we call the vertical turning vane, which picks up the turbulent wake off the back of the front tyre. It’s obviously not getting the results expected, so Red Bull took it on and off and then today experimented with it off again.

It lets us see more detail on the leading edge of the sidepod and how the bargeboards pull airflow out from underneath the front of the chassis and onto this leading edge section.

Red Bull’s sidepod concept is quite different from others in that it’s the minimum possible size needed to house the cooling requirements within it - it really is a limpet style. The turbulent airflow coming off the rear of the tyre will affect it differently than on other cars, so this is could be why Red Bull is doing some experiments in this area.

Gary Anderson

Sieper

could indeed be that they are not working (as hoped for). Apparently they have one version then available only.

astracrazy
astracrazy

I'm guessing they must have already been unsure about this part before they turned up to the test? Its unlikely track side they pinpointed a potential aero problem with a part like that.

I would guess we will see a new design there for the second test because its not better to not have one.

nevill3

Or it could just be the mountings were not strong enough and they were working loose, so they ran without them whilst attempting to fix/modify them. Tried them again but the solution did not work so they had to come off again.Meanwhile some running with them off is better than sitting in the garage.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Mr.G

gandharva wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 10:49
The sidepod winglets are slitted. We have seen this last year too.
http://abload.de/img/13tsci.jpg
No, that's from suspension... Look on the left one, than back to the right...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts