McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Coefficient
Coefficient

Re: McLaren MCL33

I think the funky stuff will start to appear on the MCL33 now they've base lined it and it appears fundamentally decent.

Edit Thunder: Don't post Laptimes or Topspeed Charts in this Thread please.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

mclaren111 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:44
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/3/ ... dc_800.jpg

New turning vane just below mirror on chassis ??
No, reflection of the bottom of the sidepod inlet in combination with shadow in that inlet. :wink:

PhillipM
PhillipM

DiogoBrand wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:35
Gurney flap on the cooling exits: Not sure if desperate or genius.
Normal, many teams have run that for many years.

Thunder

Discussions about Lap Times and Top Speeds in Testing (or general Testing Talk) this Way please-->forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=743160#p743160
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Wish I could get an HD shot of this! You can see the vortex forming from the slot gap on the floor, and the spray from the y250 vortex area is clearly going through the bargeboard then channeled to the outside of the sidepod endplate. Look at how the spray of the front wheels feeds this y250 spray, particularly the wheel hubs. Then the complete lack of spray near the front wing end plates.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

@godlameroso:

That should be close enough. From page 23.
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 09:12
I hope after this photo we will stop writing and thinkig that side-pod deflectors are there to pick up front tyre wake and magically make it a good-boy laminar flow. At least people here, Gary A sure as hell won't stop with that. :)

https://ibb.co/jXp9Fx
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Thanks, that was from yesterday, I was looking for something from this morning.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

Eric Boullier explaining the exhaust bolt problem (from Autosport):
"It's a stupid bolt that broke in the exhaust," said racing director Eric Boullier of the first issue.

"So it was a £2 problem which cost us a lot of track time, because everything was burned after in the back of the car, so we had to rebuild the gearbox and the back end.

"Nothing else than this. It didn't cost us much to revise the design, it's more about the track time we lost. As you can see the design is still the same and the car is still running."

Regarding Thursday's problem, he added: "Cooling is the first matter that every team is managing in the first week of testing.

"In a case where you have a new engine partner, you might have some sort of heat soak pocket in the car.

"We can see on the bodywork there are a couple of stripes, but this is just because we have to make sure there are some proper heat shields in place, consider all the heat soak pockets, and make sure we can modify and change the cooling inside the bodywork."
Last edited by Morteza on 01 Mar 2018, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Moose
Moose

wesley123 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:02
Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 01:33
McMrocks wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 01:14
I once posted the question as to wether how these slots in the floor are legal. There are no small cuts which would make the contour one homogenous line. So how it is legal?
My only thought is that they AREN'T legal today, but McLaren don't want to show other teams how to make them legal before Australia.
Everyone already knows how to make them legal, it's simply making a cut from the hole to the floors edge.
Except that they don't - you can't "simply" make a cut for such large slots, since it'll cause the floor to flex too much.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

godlameroso wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:44
https://i.imgur.com/3wuiKAp.jpg

Wish I could get an HD shot of this! You can see the vortex forming from the slot gap on the floor, and the spray from the y250 vortex area is clearly going through the bargeboard then channeled to the outside of the sidepod endplate. Look at how the spray of the front wheels feeds this y250 spray, particularly the wheel hubs. Then the complete lack of spray near the front wing end plates.
I have no idea what you are seeing, all I see is tire wake being pushed aside, which is the result of what you are talking about. People 'want' to see these vortices because they are so exciting but conditions must be quite perfect for them to be visible. Is this what you are seeing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKQezyl2Oo

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 17:40
wesley123 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 13:02
Moose wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 01:33

My only thought is that they AREN'T legal today, but McLaren don't want to show other teams how to make them legal before Australia.
Everyone already knows how to make them legal, it's simply making a cut from the hole to the floors edge.
Except that they don't - you can't "simply" make a cut for such large slots, since it'll cause the floor to flex too much.
I don't see the issue:

And some tactically placed support

Morteza

The cooling openings near the head of the driver are new for today I guess
Via @F1debrief
Last edited by Morteza on 01 Mar 2018, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE
the EDGE

can the floor slot cut to the edge be hidden under the bargeboard area in the front outside corner?

gambler
gambler

godlameroso wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:44
https://i.imgur.com/3wuiKAp.jpg

Any chance they are actually building any "hydrodynamic" devices into these cars for wet weather conditions? A win is a win even if it comes in the rain. .........."Dig Deeper, deeper till we get to China, never stop... ever! "