McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: McLaren MCL33

Thats a common thing for rain setup to avoid aquaplaning.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Article regarding the rear suspension.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... l-1009835/

Morteza

Via @f1writers
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

More from today

gambler
gambler

I would guess to take the "push" out... from the rain. I wonder how much raise and lower adjustment they have at their disposal? That looks like an inch if not more over normal.

JonoNic

It seems like the halo is disguising the size of the car. That McLaren would look even smaller without the halo.

Always find the gap then use it.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Do we know if they kept the same body work (engine cover) for today as well? Because also Alonso's car today had the same "burn marks" and actually on both sides (on one side it's pretty dim tho).

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

ALO_Power wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 21:32
Do we know if they kept the same body work (engine cover) for today as well? Because also Alonso's car today had the same "burn marks" and actually on both sides (on one side it's pretty dim tho).
Very likely they did, no need to change anything that isn't broken and it is there from the first lap out.

AnthonyG

Morteza wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 18:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIvv9hXcAAYzsk.jpg:large
Via @f1writers
A trailing edge flap on the engine cover?
It's not on all pictures of today.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

adrianjordan

Regarding the holes in the floor either side of the sidepods. Could they have a raised section so that when you look from underneath there isn't a hole, but such that it channels air through the slots?

My laptop has died otherwise I would try and make a diagram to show what I mean.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

DFX
DFX

adrianjordan wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 22:55
Regarding the holes in the floor either side of the sidepods. Could they have a raised section so that when you look from underneath there isn't a hole, but such that it channels air through the slots?

My laptop has died otherwise I would try and make a diagram to show what I mean.
Surely they are not holes and rather slots as you said. In a top down view we wouldnt be able to see the ground, or the light passing as some pointed out.
Although this is the mother of slots! :mrgreen:

jh199

DFX wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 23:04
adrianjordan wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 22:55

Surely they are not holes and rather slots as you said. In a top down view we wouldnt be able to see the ground, or the light passing as some pointed out.
Although this is the mother of slots! :mrgreen:
Heres that top-down view. The slots are very obvious in this view but I see what you're saying adrianjordan. Maybe when you center the camera over the car you can see the slots but when you center the camera over the slots they are covered. Like, they have a sort of scoop on the top side that'll grab the air and force it downwards while looking like a solid, continuous piece from directly above and below

roon
roon

Last edited by roon on 01 Mar 2018, 01:56, edited 2 times in total.

McMrocks
McMrocks

I once posted the question as to wether how these slots in the floor are legal. There are no small cuts which would make the contour one homogenous line. So how it is legal?