2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:52
Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:47
Thunder wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:46
Didn't the Renault Works Team have to change the Battery last week too?
You could be right there. Achilles heel?
Bigger chance they ffed up installation (sensors, or whatever) because they or other renault teams didn't have such a quick failure. Any overheating would have been noticeable last week.
That wasn't the issue being discussed though. 2 battery failures on different Renault powered cars for whatever reason.

Also TBH early I really late things can go pop at anytime. Could be a McLaren screw up or it could be a genuine weakness.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 06 Mar 2018, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:57
Jolle wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:47

You could be right there. Achilles heel?
Bigger chance they ffed up installation (sensors, or whatever) because they or other renault teams didn't have such a quick failure. Any overheating would have been noticeable last week.
That wasn't the issue being discussed though. 2 battery failures on Renault different teams.
Then it's (again) bad luck for McLaren/Alonso, being in the wrong team at the wrong time with the wrong PU....

if there is a structural failure in the ES (or CE, what fried the ES), the beginning of the season may come too soon....

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

Mclaren back on track just before Lunch

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:00
Restomaniac wrote:
Jolle wrote:

That wasn't the issue being discussed though. 2 battery failures on Renault different teams.
Then it's (again) bad luck for McLaren/Alonso, being in the wrong team at the wrong time with the wrong PU....

if there is a structural failure in the ES (or CE, what fried the ES), the beginning of the season may come too soon....
Oh it's the worst luck. You have to know that McLaren are quietly fuming at the Toro Rosso car running forever like they are. Don't get me wrong McLaren had to make that call at the time they did but still it's got to sting slightly.

Jolle
Jolle

Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:04
Jolle wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Oh it's the worst luck. You have to know that McLaren are quietly fuming at the Toro Rosso car running forever like they are. Don't get me wrong McLaren had to make that call at the time they did but still it's got to sting slightly.
I was roasted last week for saying that it was quite possible that McLaren went from the worst PU to the worst PU. I don't think I'm far off. Been a McLaren follower/fan since 1984 but, especially watching the Amazon docu, it's a company without leadership. I was really surprised by the general crossed arms and being almost submissive in being behind.

Juzh

So it seems medium tire can basically go forever. Given Vettel's laptimes it's clear degradation is not enough to offset reduced weight from fuel burn and laptimes tend to get faster as the stint goes on.

Makes you wonder what they intent do to with the hards, let alone superhards lol.

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

Juzh wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:12
So it seems medium tire can basically go forever. Given Vettel's laptimes it's clear degradation is not enough to offset reduced weight from fuel burn and laptimes tend to get faster as the stint goes on.

Makes you wonder what they intent do to with the hards, let alone superhards lol.
That only applies on this (newly resurfaced) track. I imagine the story will be very different on other circuits.

Juzh

Anthropolyte wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:21
I imagine the story will be very different on other circuits.
I don't. Most tracks that used to be tire shredders have been resurfaced, and arguably 2 of the absolute worst (barcelona and malaysia) are now child's play for tires.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:11
Restomaniac wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:04
Jolle wrote:

I was roasted last week for saying that it was quite possible that McLaren went from the worst PU to the worst PU. I don't think I'm far off. Been a McLaren follower/fan since 1984 but, especially watching the Amazon docu, it's a company without leadership. I was really surprised by the general crossed arms and being almost submissive in being behind.
I'm not calling the Renault the worst PU. Just that the Honda seems to running and running which is a million miles from last season.

dren

The Renault is certainly running detuned; but so is the Honda and I'm assuming the other two. We'll see soon enough.
Honda!

Mansell89
Mansell89

Not ideal for McLaren- if it’s a major issue it will become clear but it’s good that they got back out before lunch. Hoping for a trouble free afternoon.

RBR, Ferrari,Merc all running nicely on the mediums this far.

TwanV
TwanV

dren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:36
The Renault is certainly running detuned; but so is the Honda and I'm assuming the other two. We'll see soon enough.
They all are I would say, given that it's mandatory to finish 5+ races per engine anyway. Curious what'll happen when the quali-modes are tested hopefully later this week.

TAG

Force India's performance over the last couple of years has really made me a fan, doing the most with what they're got embarrassing teams with triple their budget. They've felt like a true independent, a throwback to the garagistas as far as you could have one of those nowadays. Hopefully they'll turn it around this week in testing, but at the moment it feels like they're struggling. Fourth this year is going to be a miracle given the expectation of both Renault and McLaren stepping up.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

Juzh wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:12
Last heard, FIA seems to be planning revolution with regards to bringing the costs down, just as with the PU allocation (3 per year), every driver will be allocated just 1 set of tyres for the whole weekend, but the good news is, it can either be hard or superhard!

Morteza

McLaren are the first to hit the track

[media]https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/971009401007075337[/media]
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare