2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

That pit stop vid is really illustrative.

I have been saying this, but McLaren is in real danger of becoming like Williams. When BMW decided to start their own works team, Wilkiams became a customer team and it was the beginning of the end.

McLaren has had poor pit stops for at least two seasons. Maybe Wazari was right about Eric Bouillier.

On the Missed Apex podcast, Matthew Carter said he expected Force India to beat McLaren over the season.

zoroastar

Webber2011 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:36
RonDennis wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:29
marmer wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 15:15
Or they are bluffing while searching for some sponsor money.

I don't get this it will be ok by Australia with our new kit on
If they know it's better why didn't they bring that setup. What if they get to Australia and it's not better too late then because they can't go back to this set-up its got proven heat issues and it's not been that quick.
Because they use this test for correlation, so that they can make adjustements if something isn't right. It's all about having a good baseline. The car in Melbourne won't be a completely different concept. Just temper your expectations a bit, because they won't be winning any races this year. They just need a good year and if they even finish a race, they have done a good job.
Fixed that for you.

This is obviously a team in disarray.
Even taking into account the swap to a new PU, the whole of testing has been nothing short of a disaster.

If they even make the grid in Australia I'll be surprised.

So sad......
i tend to believe what they say about lots of small problems. things that may be hard to completely fix during testing, but can be fixed for the most part before australia. but they still may find some new problems. mclaren seem to progress pretty well in season though. dare to say, any other "midfield" team, would be receiving careful praise for mclarens "disastrous" performance. how many stories have been written about williams or force indias lack of performance this week?

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:55
well.....look at this.

https://youtu.be/i1hzb2IFWSs
We all saw that yesterday Dude...

Not the first time they screw up a pit stop and will not be the last... not sure why it's such a big deal.

diffuser

zeph wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:03

I have been saying this, but McLaren is in real danger of becoming like Williams. When BMW decided to start their own works team, Wilkiams became a customer team and it was the beginning of the end.

McLaren has had poor pit stops for at least two seasons. Maybe Wazari was right about Eric Bouillier.

On the Missed Apex podcast, Matthew Carter said he expected Force India to beat McLaren over the season.
Well you chose Williams ...but they were among the best last year with pit stops ...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:10
Manoah2u wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:55
well.....look at this.

https://youtu.be/i1hzb2IFWSs
We all saw that yesterday Dude...

Not the first time they screw up a pit stop and will not be the last... not sure why it's such a big deal.
i just came across that. i actually posted it without noticing the crazy discussion before it :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

zeph
zeph

diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:12
zeph wrote:

Well you chose Williams ...but they were among the best last year with pit stops ...
Yeah, I could have worded that better. They were intended as two separate statements, but reading it back it comes across as cause-and-effect.

So let’s try again:

I see worrisome analogies to Williams in 2005. After a very public separation with BMW, they used a string of uncompetitive customer engines, only to end up as Mercedes’ B-team in 2014.

On a different note, McLaren has not had competitive pitstops for at least the last two seasons. It didn’t matter much then, but it sure as hell matters now.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

What did he say? Can't seem to play it
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:37
He thinks they are 0.5 faster then Mercedes

GoranF1
GoranF1

:lol: :lol:

Just kiding....he says everybody including them are hiding speed.
He is happy whit the car..

bauc

Well atleast I think the will make it to the grid
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GoranF1
GoranF1

I am not sure if i heard Ted right....he says that Mclaren thinks they are faster then Renault or that he thinks that?

[media]https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 14240?s=19[/media]

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:40
Ground Effect wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:37
He thinks they are 0.5 faster then Mercedes
That'll probably keep me laughing all weekend! Thanks for that... 😂😂😂
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

zeph wrote:

Yeah cancelling your works deal, resigning Alonso, having one of the best talents in F1, rich owners, sounds exactly like Williams.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:58
I am not sure if i heard Ted right....he says that Mclaren thinks they are faster then Renault or that he thinks that?

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 14240?s=19
I think it must be Mclaren thinking they're faster than Renault, cause I read their assumed pecking order and they placed Renault best of the rest. They more or less put an asterisk on Mclaren, a bit of an unknown with the reliability issues.