2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joseki
Joseki

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:12
Wednesday over already and no pictures of the car from Aus?
In the European night.

loner

Chuckjr wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 06:55
Avocado wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 21:26
OzanA wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 21:19
Did Mclaren bring updates to AUS?
Substantial.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... a-1007202/

"But while there are big changes taking place at the team, its aero chief Peter Prodromou says that the initial design that will be revealed and will test next week will not be radically different from last year.

"We have tried to develop the car as we have done for the last three years," explained Prodromou about the car design. "We've tried to develop it in an evolutionary fashion.
i still have my doubts about PP i'll give him some races and we shall see if he was the reason to lose a works deal
due to his body size philosophy trying to force the power unit into unmeasured tight small spaces
i wounder if he didn't ask honda for that would they ever consider the compressor in the V idea
if Mclaren to be near RBR on merit in 2018 at any stage he would be just prove him self , but if not i think it would be better if Mclaren ditched PP for a works deal
para bellum.

makecry
makecry

loner wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:07
Chuckjr wrote:

"But while there are big changes taking place at the team, its aero chief Peter Prodromou says that the initial design that will be revealed and will test next week will not be radically different from last year.

"We have tried to develop the car as we have done for the last three years," explained Prodromou about the car design. "We've tried to develop it in an evolutionary fashion.
i still have my doubts about PP i'll give him some races and we shall see if he was the reason to lose a works deal
due to his body size philosophy trying to force the power unit into unmeasured tight small spaces
i wounder if he didn't ask honda for that would they ever consider the compressor in the V idea
if Mclaren to be near RBR on merit in 2018 at any stage he would be just prove him self , but if not i think it would be better if Mclaren ditched PP for a works deal
Peter Prod is a proven entity, he was chief of Aero at RedBull.

Mclaren also didnt ditch a work deals to please one guy lol be it Alonso or Prodromou. They ditched Honda coz Honda sucked. End of that discussion, this is not a McLaren Honda thread.

Honda is not going to promise something because of one guy. F1 team consists of hundreds of personnal, one person is not going to influence so much, it's a team.

Honda was never forced into anything. That narrative needs to stop.

zoroastar

makecry wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:14
loner wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:07
Chuckjr wrote:

Mclaren also didnt ditch a work deals to please one guy lol be it Alonso or Prodromou. They ditched Honda coz Honda sucked. End of that discussion, this is not a McLaren Honda thread.

Honda is not going to promise something because of one guy. F1 team consists of hundreds of personnal, one person is not going to influence so much, it's a team.

PP started in 2015 and the power unit had been in developement for close to 2 years before that. there is no way that he had any input on the original honda layout. unless honda just dropped 2 years of developement at the last minute. i doubt if PP even had much input on the melbourne spec 2015 car. 2016 was his first real design at mclaren.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Giblet wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:40
Nonserviam85 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:20
Chicane wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 12:34
Alonso says Mclaren are 100% ready for Melbourne

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-moto ... SKBN1GX0Y1
What did you expect them to say, that they aren't?
I think the point is that people are assuming they are liars, which is next level dumb.

If they say they got reliability sorted, then they think they do. It's not like they don't have dynos and shaker rigs and specific items to work on they discovered in testing.

McLaren have shown more than once they can rapidly develop and/or pivot. They made an octopus exhaust in testing, and by race one had an entirely different exhaust system and 3d printed titanium diffuser.

McLaren have been on the back foot but underestimating their talent and resource is a fool's errand.
Good on you Giblet :lol: for the phrase of the week "...next level dumb."

Bisonas

Giblet wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Chicane wrote:

I think the point is that people are assuming they are liars, which is next level dumb.

If they say they got reliability sorted, then they think they do. It's not like they don't have dynos and shaker rigs and specific items to work on they discovered in testing.

McLaren have shown more than once they can rapidly develop and/or pivot. They made an octopus exhaust in testing, and by race one had an entirely different exhaust system and 3d printed titanium diffuser.

McLaren have been on the back foot but underestimating their talent and resource is a fool's errand.
I really want to agree with what you are saying, i really do.
But the fact that Mclaren end up in AUS retaining the holes and the tiny air inlet in the bodywork for cooling, somehow troubles me. (they reshape the inlet and widened the holes. 3 holes now in total instead of 4) I would expected them to ditch their testing fast fix ( holes and inlet) replacing it with a more permanent, under the hood solution for AUS.

I just hope its not a big compromise.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The reason they put holes there is because they're not a big compromise, that's why other teams run holes there permanently

Giblet
Giblet

Bisonas wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 01:14
Giblet wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:

I really want to agree with what you are saying, i really do.
But the fact that Mclaren end up in AUS retaining the holes and the tiny air inlet in the bodywork for cooling, somehow troubles me. (they reshape the inlet and widened the holes. 3 holes now in total instead of 4) I would expected them to ditch their testing fast fix ( holes and inlet) replacing it with a more permanent, under the hood solution for AUS.

I just hope its not a big compromise.

I doubt those changes are big hindrance or gain. They are simply too far rearward on an already slim rear to really make a massive difference.

Either way we'll see come Aus where they sit.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

loner

makecry wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:14

one pic can be better than a thousand words :wink:
lets wait and see Mclaren performance in 2018.
para bellum.

Thunder

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... 17160/?s=1

Alonso is optimistic for the Season, many updates to come.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

If Mclaren can score points regularly till Barcelona, then we are in good spot for the rest of the season
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

OzanA
OzanA

Vasconia

Can´t see a great evolution but I need to give a closer look.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Giblet wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Chicane wrote:

You need to realize my friend that all those statements are PR talk, either they have it sorted it out or not. Only the races will tell the reality. But do you actually expect from anyone to say that they still have issues in an interview especially this time of the season?

Noone is saying they are liars or incompetent, they are in the second oldest team in the sport after all. Fanboism is the greatest fool's errand...

PinkFloydPulse

Any definite changes except the slightly revised engine cover and that winglet at it's end? PP said much will change... Or should we wait until FP1 to see new bits, what do you guys reckon?
Team Fernando!