2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zoroastar

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

ivanlesk wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:33
loner wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:07
Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:03

Maybe he just didn't want to do the last lap. Vettel wasn't catching him prior to that. His last lap was a 1:50, which seemed to come out of the blue, he actually slowed down to get lapped. Nothing gained or lost by doing the extra lap, one more lap won't save the PU or destroy it.
+1
True, but when you add to that a fact that they where just behind first two in race and every news station around world doing short report of race will show winner crossing checkered flag, then is beneficial :)
how is that beneficial? after closing to within drs range of hulk for the last 5 laps, im sure they said, "ok, we need you to slow down now so we can be photographed with the leaders". thats ridiculous. anyone that follows f1 knows where they finished on the grid, and anyone that doesnt follow it wouldnt even know that alonso was in that car. as a matter of fact, anyone that follows f1 would now think that alonso was lapped out of merit, which isnt the case. vettel couldnt keep pace with him in the last laps because his tires were shot.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

zoroastar wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:54
ivanlesk wrote:
loner wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:07

+1
True, but when you add to that a fact that they where just behind first two in race and every news station around world doing short report of race will show winner crossing checkered flag, then is beneficial :)
how is that beneficial? after closing to within drs range of hulk for the last 5 laps, im sure they said, "ok, we need you to slow down now so we can be photographed with the leaders". thats ridiculous. anyone that follows f1 knows where they finished on the grid, and anyone that doesnt follow it wouldnt even know that alonso was in that car. as a matter of fact, anyone that follows f1 would now think that alonso was lapped out of merit, which isnt the case. vettel couldnt keep pace with him in the last laps because his tires were shot.
The more I think of it the more I believe what Ivanlesk said is true. If you go back to the youtube race highlights if Alonso just wanted to save the engine why did he accelerate from the last corner and still remained close to Bottas and Vettel across the line?? He could have backed off and even perhaps let Lewis pass. The suggestions here said he needed to save engine or save fuel seems to be increasingly less accurate to me.

Also Alonso and his engineer both didn't explicitly say or explain why they wanted to back off from Vettel on the radio, it seemed like a pre-planned move and they are trying to hide something.

This maybe is a way to attracting sponsors and attention to their car as the general public (definitely not people on this technical forum) would think WOW the cars are so close and that orange car is third.. Or maybe there are money clauses in their sponsors contracts which say the amount of TV time for the car would lead to an increase in investment.

diffuser

Prometheus wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 16:25

Don't think the standings mean much at this stage as most teams with new engines detuned them slightly - Mclaren included.
-but-
The result from Bahrain was significant when comparing Mclaren with Toro Rosso. A past world champion 48 seconds behind a seven race rookie, with both having new power plants in their cars. That is brutal.
The claim by Alonso that the season has only started is a defensive position and probably the only one he could take. For somebody of his ability to be 48 seconds behind in a 57 lap race, spells very big technical problems.If it were anybody else, the gap would have been significantly more. There must be alarm bells ringing at Mclaren.

So what if STR are really good at Medium downforce tracks (Bahrain) and really bad at high downforce tracks (Austrailia) and there is only 1 more Medium downforce track and 10 high downforce tracks left in the season?

The only track(s) I can think of that might be Medium downforce is Hockenheimring and the US. All the other are either high Downforce(China, Spain, Monaco, hungry, UK, SPA, Russia, Singapore, Brazil, Yas Marina and Suzuka) or low downforce(Canada, Bacu, Italy, Austria) or unknown (Mexico, France).

diffuser

Maritimer wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:41
I thought i read somewhere the nose is coming in May?

I have no idea ...I just hope :)

Benii6
Benii6

TheFluffy wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:03
zoroastar wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

The more I think of it the more I believe what Ivanlesk said is true. If you go back to the youtube race highlights if Alonso just wanted to save the engine why did he accelerate from the last corner and still remained close to Bottas and Vettel across the line?? He could have backed off and even perhaps let Lewis pass. The suggestions here said he needed to save engine or save fuel seems to be increasingly less accurate to me.

Also Alonso and his engineer both didn't explicitly say or explain why they wanted to back off from Vettel on the radio, it seemed like a pre-planned move and they are trying to hide something.

This maybe is a way to attracting sponsors and attention to their car as the general public (definitely not people on this technical forum) would think WOW the cars are so close and that orange car is third.. Or maybe there are money clauses in their sponsors contracts which say the amount of TV time for the car would lead to an increase in investment.
Amazing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

TheFluffy wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
ivanlesk wrote:

Do you seriously believe that? I'm sure potential sponsors would do more than watch the last lap before deciding to invest millions in an F1 team.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:12
TheFluffy wrote:
zoroastar wrote:

Do you seriously believe that? I'm sure potential sponsors would do more than watch the last lap before deciding to invest millions in an F1 team.
But as i suggested earlier it may be something to do with financial clauses of the amount of TV time. The new investors idea is just an idea but I'm sure it would help as you could take so many photos with the three cars on the finish line.

Also try to explain what i said earlier about Alonso, his radio and why did he accerlate coming out of last corner. You need evidence to back up your argument.

PhillipM
PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:36
. lets hope it's on this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they had no updates this weekend.
No big flight cases gone out yet that would have nose/sidepods in, just small bits, so probably not for this race.

Andres125sx

I´ve raced, and I´ve been in Alonso situation. If there´s no rivals in front nor behind it´s a no-brainer, slow down, let the leaders pass, and save a lap wich can only ruin your work.

Nothing to be gained, everything to be lost due to a mistake, failure, puncture, whatever. Add to that some fuel problems wich are logical if their setup was wrong with too much DF and drag, and they did the obvious thing

Andres125sx

RonDennis wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:22
"We just miscalculated the weekend in terms of set-up," said Boullier. "It's a mistake we've done and we don't want to repeat it.

"We need to be where we believe we should be and can't have too many mistakes like this."

Alonso declared after Australia that McLaren could forget the midfield and target Red Bull, but admitted in Bahrain that would not be possible until the MCL33 received crucial developments.

"The car we have here on the track and the car we are developing at the factory is different," said Alonso.

"That car is fixing all our weakness, so we need to bring that car as soon as possible."

Boullier insisted he had "100%" confidence in McLaren's technical team, and explained that part of its Bahrain troubles was getting the most out of the tyres and the cars carrying too much downforce.

McLaren's pre-season reliability woe forced it to alter its updates schedule, and Boullier added: "That's why we have a lot to come and that's why Fernando is so positive in terms of upgrades and the next few races.

"Hopefully that will be enough to clear it [the midfield]."
So it seems some kind of b-spec is in development and they clearly need it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13531 ... t-expected
Probably best news I´ve read in a while :D :D :D

zoroastar

TheFluffy wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:16
Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:12
TheFluffy wrote:

But as i suggested earlier it may be something to do with financial clauses of the amount of TV time. The new investors idea is just an idea but I'm sure it would help as you could take so many photos with the three cars on the finish line.

Also try to explain what i said earlier about Alonso, his radio and why did he accerlate coming out of last corner. You need evidence to back up your argument.
the burden of evidence lies on you my friend. haha. it really funny what people come up with so randomly. who know, maybe he felt like feeling some g's in the last corner not knowing it was going to be overanalyzed by conspiracy theorists.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:05
Maritimer wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:41
I thought i read somewhere the nose is coming in May?

I have no idea ...I just hope :)
From a BBC article of 27 March...

Much of the upgrade planned for Australia, Boullier says, is coming for the next race in Bahrain on 6-8 April. "So that should help us." Some parts might not appear until the next race in China.
And one important part of what should have been in Australia - a new nose design which requires a new FIA crash test - is now not expected until the Spanish Grand Prix in May.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Andres125sx

Prometheus wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:23
Wow I see a lot of people who didn´t post after Merlbourne but have been quite fast to post their opinions (read, rants) after Bahrain, to the point this thread has grown around 15 pages in no time

Yeah Gasly and STR have been impressive in Bahrain, but one single result with one single car does not make a norm.

The next is not intended to get angry McLaren haters, it´s only to motivate McLaren fans who read this thread and are tempted to join the haters

2018 WCC standings:

1 FERRARI 65
2 MERCEDES 55
3 MCLAREN RENAULT 22
4 RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 20
5 RENAULT 15
6 SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 12
7 HAAS FERRARI 10
8 SAUBER FERRARI 2
9 FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1
10 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0

Yes that is correct, McLaren is 3rd team right not. We all know that´s due to RBR problems, but even so it´s encouraging. In the whole Honda era not a single time they scored points with both cars two consecutive GPs, but first two GPs with Renault, and both cars score points in both.

If that´s not a step forward please let me know what´s that
Don't think the standings mean much at this stage as most teams with new engines detuned them slightly - Mclaren included.
-but-
The result from Bahrain was significant when comparing Mclaren with Toro Rosso. A past world champion 48 seconds behind a seven race rookie, with both having new power plants in their cars. That is brutal.
The claim by Alonso that the season has only started is a defensive position and probably the only one he could take. For somebody of his ability to be 48 seconds behind in a 57 lap race, spells very big technical problems.If it were anybody else, the gap would have been significantly more. There must be alarm bells ringing at Mclaren.
Did you watch the race?

When Alonso went into his last pitstop he went out just in front of Vettel, and moved away from him thanks to his new SS tires. Then at the last lap he slowed down to let him pass and save a lap.

Also, he was stuck in traffic for most of the race, while Gasly was in clean air for most of the race.

It´s funny how some people see one STR in front, and instantly assume McLaren is in huge problems, when they´re 3rd in the table, and Alonso 4th (I´ve just noticed!! :D =D> =D> )

1 Sebastian Vettel GER FERRARI 50
2 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 33
3 Valtteri Bottas FIN MERCEDES 22
4 Fernando Alonso ESP MCLAREN RENAULT 16
5 Kimi Räikkönen FIN FERRARI 15
6 Nico Hulkenberg GER RENAULT 14
7 Daniel Ricciardo AUS RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 12
8 Pierre Gasly FRA SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 12
9 Kevin Magnussen DEN HAAS FERRARI 10
10 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 8
11 Stoffel Vandoorne BEL MCLAREN RENAULT 6
12 Marcus Ericsson SWE SAUBER FERRARI 2
13 Carlos Sainz ESP RENAULT 1
14 Esteban Ocon FRA FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1
15 Sergio Perez MEX FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 0
16 Charles Leclerc MON SAUBER FERRARI 0
17 Romain Grosjean FRA HAAS FERRARI 0
18 Lance Stroll CAN WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
19 Brendon Hartley NZL SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 0
20 Sergey Sirotkin RUS WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0

I´m posting this because we must enjoy it before RBR and Kimi solve their problems :mrgreen:

Alonso Fan

Come on, why is this even a debate? Fuel was the issue, mclaren confirmed it themselves in the race commentary!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 18:44
Prometheus wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:23
Wow I see a lot of people who didn´t post after Merlbourne but have been quite fast to post their opinions (read, rants) after Bahrain, to the point this thread has grown around 15 pages in no time

Yeah Gasly and STR have been impressive in Bahrain, but one single result with one single car does not make a norm.

The next is not intended to get angry McLaren haters, it´s only to motivate McLaren fans who read this thread and are tempted to join the haters

2018 WCC standings:

1 FERRARI 65
2 MERCEDES 55
3 MCLAREN RENAULT 22
4 RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 20
5 RENAULT 15
6 SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 12
7 HAAS FERRARI 10
8 SAUBER FERRARI 2
9 FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1
10 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0

Yes that is correct, McLaren is 3rd team right not. We all know that´s due to RBR problems, but even so it´s encouraging. In the whole Honda era not a single time they scored points with both cars two consecutive GPs, but first two GPs with Renault, and both cars score points in both.

If that´s not a step forward please let me know what´s that
-but-
Did you watch the race?

When Alonso went into his last pitstop he went out just in front of Vettel, and moved away from him thanks to his new SS tires. Then at the last lap he slowed down to let him pass and save a lap.

Also, he was stuck in traffic for most of the race, while Gasly was in clean air for most of the race.

It´s funny how some people see one STR in front, and instantly assume McLaren is in huge problems, when they´re 3rd in the table, and Alonso 4th (I´ve just noticed!! :D =D> =D> )

1 Sebastian Vettel GER FERRARI 50
2 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 33
3 Valtteri Bottas FIN MERCEDES 22
4 Fernando Alonso ESP MCLAREN RENAULT 16
5 Kimi Räikkönen FIN FERRARI 15
6 Nico Hulkenberg GER RENAULT 14
7 Daniel Ricciardo AUS RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 12
8 Pierre Gasly FRA SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 12
9 Kevin Magnussen DEN HAAS FERRARI 10
10 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 8
11 Stoffel Vandoorne BEL MCLAREN RENAULT 6
12 Marcus Ericsson SWE SAUBER FERRARI 2
13 Carlos Sainz ESP RENAULT 1
14 Esteban Ocon FRA FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1
15 Sergio Perez MEX FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 0
16 Charles Leclerc MON SAUBER FERRARI 0
17 Romain Grosjean FRA HAAS FERRARI 0
18 Lance Stroll CAN WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
19 Brendon Hartley NZL SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 0
20 Sergey Sirotkin RUS WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0

I´m posting this because we must enjoy it before RBR and Kimi solve their problems :mrgreen:
I agree!

Watch the race, then comment because watching the race reveals a whole lot more than just looking at the final result... obviously!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa