2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

thnx for video damn it would made a good show i think it was possible to overtake SVD after KM
needless move from KM could've been caused big damage for both cars
para bellum.

makecry
makecry

McMika98 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 20:10
ivanlesk wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 18:49

So, will people still continue to go around here and tell that Honda is better than Renault?
Yes, with one of the worst chassis and drivers. The car was the slowest in the slow speed sectors. My heart sank when even Sauber was pulling away in the narrow sections where you would have thought that engine power would be a non factor. It wasnt the straight line power that was the issue, every car would be within few tenths before the long straight due to the piss poor traction.
Oh btw Mclaren is the worst Renault powered car now. Hartley beat one of them in a fair fight. So no need to gloat.
What does McLaren have to do anything with this? Also Hartley didnt beat either one of them. And no one was gloating but by bringing McLaren in an irrelevant thread and comment, it's less of gloating on his side and more of insecurity on yours.

Anyway, FWIW, the car seems to have the "potential". Bahrain is a good indicator for them. They will figure something out, they also have the rolling AVL dyno at their disposal now.

ME4ME

makecry wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:23
Anyway, FWIW, the car seems to have the "potential". Bahrain is a good indicator for them. They will figure something out, they also have the rolling AVL dyno at their disposal now.
You could say potential. Or just a fluke. Or competitors who underdelivered. What we know is that the Mercedes costumers now can run high power modes for longer. Also Force India seems to have taken an significant step forward.

Toro Rosso have been pretty slow for 3/4 races thus far this season. Let's be realistic, they are still a midfield team with a power deficit, a development deficit (because of the engine switch) and a driver-lineup deficit. Both TR and Honda have been talking about their potential, but so far it's no way good enough.

/ Just a fan who's tired of talking potential. Want to see some real progress being made 8)

!Technical
!Technical

Perhaps they had a Maldonado Spain 2012 moment in Bahrain, where the car was working the tyres perfectly. They didn't have a garage fire afterwards though. The Ferraris have smoked up the pitlane enough to make Al Gore cringe.

godlameroso

I'm sure Al Gore is too busy burning 3,000L of fuel every time he goes on his private plane to care.

Most races have been in cold weather this season except for Bahrain, the next round in Barcelona will be slightly warmer than China was, and the tires are more suited to the circuit, perhaps they'll fare better here. Track temperatures will be reasonable.

As far as tires here, the soft tire will be consistent for 12 laps and then slowly start to degrade until useless after ~27 laps, the medium tires will be consistent for 16 laps and slowly start to degrade until it's useless at 36 laps, that means there's not much difference between these two compounds overall, although the soft will be slightly faster at the beginning(by .5 seconds at least). The super soft will be surprisingly good, probably good for 20 laps, probably the ideal tire to use for a 2 stopper, or as a final tire on a late safety car.
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

Hartly might survive this season and then will be replaced. he is another palmer in my books. tall and slow. if not for retirement he would not have got any points very lucky

baybars
baybars

I was being passed before the DRS zones’ – Gasly

I think first lap was good and with all the mess around I was P10 or P9. So really happy about that because I was in a good position.
And then after that was really a difficult situation because every lap I got overtaken in the straight even before the DRS zone and was massive delta of speed

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/01/rac ... -up-01-05/

GhostF1
GhostF1

baybars wrote:
02 May 2018, 07:29

I think first lap was good and with all the mess around I was P10 or P9. So really happy about that because I was in a good position.
And then after that was really a difficult situation because every lap I got overtaken in the straight even before the DRS zone and was massive delta of speed

This ties in with Tanabe's comments post-race about how the whole package lost speed on race day, even over the practice and quali sessions. He also said Honda is still behind power wise, but only slightly, a fact which they are well aware of, so not too much new information there. Just another perspective.

vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

GhostF1 wrote:
02 May 2018, 08:34
baybars wrote:

This ties in with Tanabe's comments post-race about how the whole package lost speed on race day, even over the practice and quali sessions. He also said Honda is still behind power wise, but only slightly, a fact which they are well aware of, so not too much new information there. Just another perspective.
If you are not being able to defend before the DRS activation point it means poor traction the corner before. Of course there is more complex explanation for this but that's how i see it! The start/finish line speed indicates traction rather than pure power(braking point). But of course traction is affected by downforce and perhaps they trimmed the wings because of power deficit. I think, we didn't even see McL to get passed before DRS activation zone last years(arguably worst PU)!

Big Tea

It was very windy in some places there, maybe the car was just more unsettled then others, or possibly the new drives were less able to adjust.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Alonso Fan

vassilispapadop wrote:
02 May 2018, 11:09
GhostF1 wrote:
baybars wrote:

If you are not being able to defend before the DRS activation point it means poor traction the corner before. Of course there is more complex explanation for this but that's how i see it! The start/finish line speed indicates traction rather than pure power(braking point). But of course traction is affected by downforce and perhaps they trimmed the wings because of power deficit. I think, we didn't even see McL to get passed before DRS activation zone last years(arguably worst PU)!
So now you see, there are some benefits to running more downforce on this track like mclaren did last year.

Edit Thunder: Toned down
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

Alonso Fan wrote:
02 May 2018, 12:21
vassilispapadop wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

So now you see, there are some benefits to running more downforce on this track like mclaren did last year.

Arguably? Get real
So now you see? Do you know me?

Get real? So Honda 2017 was better than Honda 2018?

McL and downforce? Better post on different thread, Here is about TR-Honda

Alonso Fan

vassilispapadop wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:29
Alonso Fan wrote:
02 May 2018, 12:21
vassilispapadop wrote:

Arguably? Get real
So now you see? Do you know me?

Get real? So Honda 2017 was better than Honda 2018?

McL and downforce? Better post on different thread, Here is about TR-Honda
Last years Honda was not arguably worse like you stated. It was definitely without a shadow of a doubt worse. On pace and reliability. That's what I clarified from your post
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Thunder18
Thunder18

The Honda PU was noted for having good driveability out of slow corners, see Bahrain result. Ted Kravitz reported battery charge issues for TRH, though yet to see that confirmed, so it looks like they didn't have enough in reserve to aid acceleration out of the last corner.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

There's a lot to look forward to, firstly Barcelona and the direction of the chassis development, then Canada for the phase 2 engine. It's being said Red Bull are looking towards that to make a decision on 2019.
I'm really expecting a lot from James Key on the aero side, and Honda seem quietly confident about what's coming.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.