F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Artur Craft

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Artur Craft wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 05:18
wings are wider now, so I predict times to be significantly faster than last year.
It seems my prediction was correct. The wider wings are more than offsetting the previous, more intricate, endplate, flaps and etc
Shrieker wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:08
Will this not offer these teams an advantage since their front wings take advantage of the ground effect better ? Are merc missing out here ?
On this specific point I think Merc, and RB, opted for the better solution. I still think this Ferrari/Alfa solution is not the right solution
Jolle wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:40
If I had to put money down. it would be on Mercedes. Their team nailed every regulation change in the last decade.
I think they nailed the PU. I don't think the rest is the tops but it's enough to built on the PU advantage. The high rake design is ultimately faster imo but the PU gap is too big to be compensated for.

I also believe Merc is gonna be the fastest car, come Melbourne. Not buying this Ferrari speculation on German media

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

So Autosport pundits forget that McLaren ran a 1:19:4 on C2 tires in the morning, similar time to rest of the field who all ran C3.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:38
On the other hand, we have other paddock gossip indicating that Ferrari's looking a bit off when it comes to tire management and pace over a longer stint.
Could you provide me a source for that?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Jozsusz wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:10
zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:38
On the other hand, we have other paddock gossip indicating that Ferrari's looking a bit off when it comes to tire management and pace over a longer stint.
Could you provide me a source for that?
Appears true anecdotally from long run pace, but yeah - source? I haven’t seen this reported elsewhere yet. Appreciate!

Capharol
Capharol

I love it when all trying to guess who stands where ….. but all forgett there are to many factors included in why Merc drove a slower lap, where does RB stands compared to ….. how does Renault do, what if McLaren beats Renault (that would be funny tho), but it all Comes down to 1 Thing (okay Maybe 2 or 3) it's only testing and it was the 2nd day ….. but hey Autobild (crappy Magazine btw), Sky, and all the other Media trying to generate clicks because they, as a car Magazine or a part of it, all have to bring something….. just all dump it in a bin light it up with a match and Keep yourselves warm till Melbourne comes

nevill3

I really enjoy all the different speculations and read all of them, I then formulate my own balanced view which I keep to myself until the racing has started. I do comment but usually just to emphasize a particular point that may be getting drowned out by all the noise a popular comment or opinion generates.

So far this testing season has been most enjoyable, mainly due to all the engines running reliably so less headlines about teams failing or in dire straights ( Ignore the Williams posts for now you will only get a nasty taste in your mouth from the negative bile often spouted in that thread)
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Outstanding bit for me so far - and I think it bodes for the season as well - is the mechanical reliability that has been demonstrated across the grid. We expect Merc and Fezzas to be top of their game in that respect but it's a very pleasant surprise to see the Renault and Honda PU especially to be doing so well. I hope I just didn't jinx them with my comment!! I am very excited for this season and it's just testing!!!

DiogoBrand

digitalrurouni wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 03:46
Outstanding bit for me so far - and I think it bodes for the season as well - is the mechanical reliability that has been demonstrated across the grid. We expect Merc and Fezzas to be top of their game in that respect but it's a very pleasant surprise to see the Renault and Honda PU especially to be doing so well. I hope I just didn't jinx them with my comment!! I am very excited for this season and it's just testing!!!
I also noticed that. It's good to see the gaps between power units closing, both on performance as well as on reliability, as well as the fact that every PU is supplying at least two teams, so there won't be a situation like what happened to Honda, that suffered because of the lack of data.

To me the only thing that's missing is the possibility of new suppliers coming to F1, after all that's happened to Honda I find it really difficult for another manufacturer to want to join, even with the reduced complexity from 2021 onwards.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

nevill3 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 03:10
I really enjoy all the different speculations and read all of them, I then formulate my own balanced view which I keep to myself until the racing has started. I do comment but usually just to emphasize a particular point that may be getting drowned out by all the noise a popular comment or opinion generates.

So far this testing season has been most enjoyable, mainly due to all the engines running reliably so less headlines about teams failing or in dire straights ( Ignore the Williams posts for now you will only get a nasty taste in your mouth from the negative bile often spouted in that thread)
Agree with this! I’m not interested in bias “my teams great just look at X” or “your team sucks because of X”. I just find it interesting in general.

For example, my questions about ferrari’s testing program isn’t because I think they’re already champions, or because I don’t. It’s because it’s interesting. Why this approach vs Mercedes? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

This is literally why I love f1. Sure I’m a Ferrari fan, but I’m not interested in hearing about how great Hamilton is or isn’t, or how bad Vettel is or isn’t. Yawn.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

There seems to be pretty consistent banding on the Ferrari front tyres. Blisters?

GPR-A

I remember in 2017 winter testing, when Mercedes showed up with longer wheel base and much less rake, there was a quote attributed to Mercedes engineers that went around saying, when they tried high rake, they were losing downforce and hence, they have a low rake.

That whole year, there was a lot of bashing for Mercedes for their long wheel base and how they struggle on low speed circuits because of that. There was a great anticipation that, Mercedes might have ditched the longer wheel base for 2018 and everyone was surprised to see they retained that. Not just that, Ferrari had followed the suit and went with longer wheelbase themselves, which put to rest the "longer wheel base is a problem" argument.

Despite having adopted such large scale differences in aero philosophies for 2017 and 2018, the performance between Mercedes and Ferrari converged. With the kind of strong team structures that both teams are having, it's hard to say, one philosophy is better than other.

McMika98
McMika98

Suprised with how well planted and balaned the Haas is going through the corner. Renault should be worried.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Anybody at the track and know if the Williams has arrived?
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Andres125sx

DiogoBrand wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 05:26
after all that's happened to Honda I find it really difficult for another manufacturer to want to join, even with the reduced complexity from 2021 onwards.
Agree, but it was even more difficult before. When Honda joined there was huge develpment restrictions with the token system.

I said it at the moment I knew Honda would join F1, they were really brave... or really stupid, depending on their results, wich have been very very poor

But I still applaud their effort, in his position I would have never assumed such a high risk

djos

McMika98 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:26
Suprised with how well planted and balaned the Haas is going through the corner. Renault should be worried.
Renault have two quality drivers as opposed to a pair of clowns, so I wouldn't be too concerned if I were them.
"In downforce we trust"