Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

The size of the Ferrari rear wing is crazy. Do you guys think that with the smaller top intake they will use a big rear wing more often or will they use a thinner one as the test progresses. It's.funny how to said he was surprised to see Ferrari make that front wing work with less AOA but not only it works but seem to balance with the barn door on the rear

Vanja #66

It's a bit too much BS from Merc saying they don't understand how Ferrari managed to get enough front downforce to balance the rear. With more rake, FW is closer to the ground and is providing a lot more downforce. And that's just to begin with. Optimizing endplate vortices, y250 vortex, aerofoils... Also, when you work your diffuser harder, whole car acts better, increasing the flow under the floor, barge boards and front wing as well. They all know that of course.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

timbo
timbo

Seanspeed wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:09
It doesn't look much for Ferrari but Red Bull and Mercedes seem like they are not moving at all under braking!
Here is the Red Bull, just for comparison. It is a very stark difference.

http://i.picpar.com/2zhd.gif
Notice that DRS was open in case of RedBull, this would make the car run with more rake initially.

Steven
Owner

Well, first of all, there's this detail difference that the RB15 gif includes closing an opened DRS flap, whereas on the Ferrari, that flap was closed (meaning the rear was being pushed much harder into the ground than on the Red Bull) - yeah, timbo just mentioned that.

Another thing to consider is obviously the difference in rear wing size. They are now bigger, so generating more downforce, adding to the effect we see.

But, the difference might be elsewhere. What if Ferrari has a higher center of gravity? Perhaps they're even putting ballast high up in the car to make the car's rear tilt up when weight is transferred to the front wheels under braking :wink:

Mattchu

I brought up this Ferrari "bounce" in the testing thread but it got deluged by posts about times, testing being nothing, etc, etc.

After seeing it on the first afternoon I watched for it on the subsequent days. At first I thought it may be DRS related but that was soon dismissed. No other cars front wing has this much movement from what I can see.

The car seems [when coming off the brakes] to dip a little, bounce back up real quick then stabalize, iv`e also noticed at times it hardly dips but still springs back up, then levels off [or even lowers] ready for the corner.

Glad others have noticed it, thought I needed my eyes testing...Some funky [non-linear/HPC] heave damper in there?

Steven
Owner

If we manage to have some more videos/gifs of other cars without DRS influence, on the same corner, I'd suggest we create a seperate thread.

Vanja #66

Steven wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:28
But, the difference might be elsewhere. What if Ferrari has a higher center of gravity? Perhaps they're even putting ballast high up in the car to make the car's rear tilt up when weight is transferred to the front wheels under braking :wink:
Oh, nice idea. They could have used the fact they have lower cog with lower-than-usual upper side impact structure and possibly other systems provide lower cog as well.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Steven wrote:
Of what i`ve read among a lot of other BS :lol: was that Ferrari tries to improve the airflow towards the RW by relocating the inlets for cooling the peripherals initially located at the Airbox. This resulted in a smaller Airbox and in slightly larger sidepod intakes compared to 2018. The overall intake cross section surface is supposedly smaller which is an indicator that Ferrari managed to run their package at higher temps.

As a positive sideeffect they mentioned that the CoG has lowered as well. So they said

Can`t remember if it was SCARBS, Autosport or AMuS

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:12
It's a bit too much BS from Merc saying they don't understand how Ferrari managed to get enough front downforce to balance the rear. With more rake, FW is closer to the ground and is providing a lot more downforce. And that's just to begin with. Optimizing endplate vortices, y250 vortex, aerofoils... Also, when you work your diffuser harder, whole car acts better, increasing the flow under the floor, barge boards and front wing as well. They all know that of course.
I think their point was that on their philosphy of car, they couldn't really get it working and they couldn't generate enough downforce from the front of the car to balance the rear.
Felipe Baby!

Blackout

That's what I've noticed today... Thanks for the gif Kalsi

Okbawr
Okbawr

Ferrari has done without the perforated hub, banned by the 2019 rules, but has found a new way to energize the flow that comes from the front wing, lapping the outside of the wheel.

matteosc
matteosc

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:44
Steven wrote:
Oh, nice idea. They could have used the fact they have lower cog with lower-than-usual upper side impact structure and possibly other systems provide lower cog as well.
No way a F1 car is trying to have a high center of gravity. They always lover it as much as possible as it improves corner performance (less weight transfer). Movements of the car has little to do with CoG height and way more to do with suspensions settings. You can have softer suspensions, increasing the pitch, and use stiffer anti-roll bars to reduce the roll (you don't want roll because of suspension geometry changes and aerodynamics). The point is being able to have the right amount of pitch and being able to control it: here the importance of the hydraulic rear suspension.

Sevach
Sevach

Seanspeed wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:17
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:09
It doesn't look much for Ferrari but Red Bull and Mercedes seem like they are not moving at all under braking!
Here is the Red Bull, just for comparison. It is a very stark difference.

http://i.picpar.com/2zhd.gif
No sudden "jumps", just small changes from the weight transfer.

motobaleno

Big Mangalhit wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:56
It's.funny how to said he was surprised to see Ferrari make that front wing work with less AOA but not only it works but seem to balance with the barn door on the rear
I'm just puzzled by the same thing. with their FW I would expect a (relatively) lower df RW. I don't understand how they get an overall balanced car

motobaleno

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:12
yes, but I would say that, with all what are you referring to, with a smaller surface FW with respect for instance to merc, they would succeed in balancing a merc-style RW...but ferrari RW seems way more high DF one than merc RW