2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

1158 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 19:41
Some discussion about it in the RB15 thread. I read something that suggested it was to help stabilize the RW mount. That seems like another plausible idea.
According to Motorsport Italia it's because of the vibrations.

Translated:
It seemed clear to everyone that it was an empirical solution studied on site, because the two tie-rods were fastened near the single exhaust, to get to the rear diffuser in the hope of "turning off" those annoying resonances that did not allow to exploit the power unit in full potential.

Pierre Gasly made only a few laps with that solution that was then removed, so much so that the French then resumed his work schedule, showing that the Japanese unit has reached a threshold of reliability that was unimaginable last year .

The new 6-cylinder is proving a big step forward compared to 2018 both in terms of reliability and performance, but to get the most out of the potential of the engine it is necessary to "harness" the vibrations that can cause failures not only to the mechanics, but also to the canvas part.

For the sake of completeness of information it is also fair to add that Red Bull replaced the Honda engine as a precautionary measure after Pierre Gasly crashed on Wednesday: the 6-cylinder engine had not broken, but in the end the Japanese preferred to replace it.

godlameroso

Capharol wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:10
godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 01:51
You can see the difference there isn't in chassis or one lap pace rather the Honda falls flat as the laps wear on, where Leclerc takes one lap to recharge the batteries and has steady pace, Gasly's car has a dip in power before leveling out. Of course this is just testing, and that's just 1 run among many, so just speculation on my part.
sorry but those numbers aren't really mean anything, we don't know the Programm they run, we don't know the fuel load.
We just see numbers and start speculating ….. the only fact in this are the laptimes which are useless as long as we don't know a crucial 2nd fact
sorry but you need a lot more than a second fact.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

No way you would connect to there for power unit vibrations, that's the most flexible bit of the floor :D
Not to mention it connects to the rear wing support, not the exhaust.

It was to stabilise the diffuser/rear wing, not the other way around.
Motorsport Italia are talking out of something they should be sat on.

Marti_EF3

Morning Laps

Afternoon Laps

AnthonyG

Capharol wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 18:11
Wouter wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 18:03
Capharol wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:09
@wouter

I think they are going to discuss before the Melbourne race if they are going to use 3 or 5 engines this season.
If they start using 5, they can continue to develop and upgrade more often. That is the way I read the article.
They will start with this spec in Melbourne, with a small adjustment.
this will be discussed AFTER Barcelona, meaning go agressive or conservative, Honda would like to go conservative=realibillty (as i read it) and RB wants to go agressive (power)
What they will choose will likely depend on how fast they can cut trough the field. If they can’t cut as fast through the field like last year, they’ll probably have to go more conservative on engine use.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Godius

My guess is that after the rear impact crash from Tuesday they could not get the chassis as stiff as before the incident and were trying to see if applying these struts would make the car more drivable.

Capharol
Capharol

godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:44
Capharol wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 02:10
godlameroso wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 01:51

You can see the difference there isn't in chassis or one lap pace rather the Honda falls flat as the laps wear on, where Leclerc takes one lap to recharge the batteries and has steady pace, Gasly's car has a dip in power before leveling out. Of course this is just testing, and that's just 1 run among many, so just speculation on my part.
sorry but those numbers aren't really mean anything, we don't know the Programm they run, we don't know the fuel load.
We just see numbers and start speculating ….. the only fact in this are the laptimes which are useless as long as we don't know a crucial 2nd fact
sorry but you need a lot more than a second fact.
to be exact yes I agree with you
but to know if the time was representative you need to know what kind of Tyre and the fuel load from both cars and then you can say the 1 is faster as the other (still a guess, but it's better then only see laptimes from 2 cars on the same tyre)

muramasa
muramasa

Capharol wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:01
but to know if the time was representative you need to know what kind of Tyre and the fuel load from both cars and then you can say the 1 is faster as the other (still a guess, but it's better then only see laptimes from 2 cars on the same tyre)
You can see tyre info just few posts above (also teams press releases, pirelli release and live coverage of various websites to back it up).

---

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/455040?all

Not much info on Day 4 but STR ran one PU for 4 days (regarding RBR they elected to change PU for Day 3 due to Gasly crash on Day 2 as reported yesterday)

---- not encountering issues in testing rather makes you apprehensive that you may hit big trouble in race?
Tanabe: "For sure at this moment we cannot be 100% confident on reliability. You can say success only when it actually completes the race(s) without breaking down, so. For the present we've just got to proceed validation work."
Last edited by muramasa on 22 Feb 2019, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

dren

The Red Bull looks pretty good based on those longer runs.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

Gasly did cheat on long runs he had the DRS open most of the time when he was on tele.

Capharol
Capharol

muramasa wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 13:33
Capharol wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:01
You can see tyre info just few posts above (also teams press releases, pirelli release and live coverage of various websites to back it up).
you really has to start learn to read…. #-o

again …. i see on what tyres they drove (C3, C2, or which ever), then i see the laptime which are compared to one another...… my objection is…. you can't compare based only on the tyre if driver x is faster as driver y, you need at least 1 fact more to know (fuelload for example) to compare which car is faster, and more is even better, now you understood????

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 13:55
Gasly did cheat on long runs he had the DRS open most of the time when he was on tele.
Do you mean when he was running on the C2??

Sieper

No he is saying that when watching the stream on TV (tele - vision) he saw that Gasly opened the DRS in places where allowed (I think) and that others refrained from doing so. So having to drive through more drag costing them more lap time and making Gasly look relatively good on the long run.

just one of the many variables that make it hard for us to say anything.

Marti_EF3

Sieper wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 16:05
No he is saying that when watching the stream on TV (tele - vision) he saw that Gasly opened the DRS in places where allowed (I think) and that others refrained from doing so. So having to drive through more drag costing them more lap time and making Gasly look relatively good on the long run.

just one of the many variables that make it hard for us to say anything.
Thanks! Maybe they go with more fuel and don't want others to see the real timelap by doing this. Anything is posible #-o

Dazed1
Dazed1

Arguably the most optimistic statement of the young season: " Red Bull expects “far more mature” Verstappen to be patient."