F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mach

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

GPR -A wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 11:41
All you Mercedes and Red bull fans, kiss good bye to 2019 and look forward to 2020. Renault is the contender for the championship along with Ferrari.

https://i.imgur.com/sKyu1kF_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
ahhhhhhh....NOPE 8)

C'mon....it's just the first testing session. Don't jump to conclusions.
Kinda like a first date with that really cute gal.
Take your time....what's your hurry to make some very unnecessary statements.
Let's experience more sessions/dates 8)

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

zibby43 wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 21:14
FrukostScones wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 15:39
Motorsport.it
Mercedes just testing things...
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 4342684%2F
This was a pretty interesting read.
I read the English translation and got lost a bit. Where they suggesting the rear wheels are involved in the steering?

I thought I was misinterpreting but then there was the affirmation that it is all above board and legal.

Sierra117

Mach wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 03:28
GPR -A wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 11:41
All you Mercedes and Red bull fans, kiss good bye to 2019 and look forward to 2020. Renault is the contender for the championship along with Ferrari.

https://i.imgur.com/sKyu1kF_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
ahhhhhhh....NOPE 8)

C'mon....it's just the first testing session. Don't jump to conclusions.
Kinda like a first date with that really cute gal.
Take your time....what's your hurry to make some very unnecessary statements.
Let's experience more sessions/dates 8)
r/whooooooosh 😉

As for Ted, to the gentleman who said he talks like he knows it all, no, I have never heard Ted say anything without explicitly stating "well, I'm not a racing driver/engineer ..."

I mean the guy literally has a NOTEBOOK where he writes down quotes and facts as he learns them from authorirative sources on track and then conveys them to us. IMO big mistake to let him go and testing coverage has shown that. I feel there is a certain sound, persona and feel required in presenting and Ted had an excellent balance of it. The rest sound either too technical and boring or too forced and fake.
Last edited by Sierra117 on 24 Feb 2019, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 15:39
Motorsport.it
Mercedes just testing things...
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 4342684%2F
Well, well, well...
Typical Merc.

tinvek
tinvek

Sierra117 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 09:23

As for Ted, to the gentleman who said he talks like he knows it all, no, I have never heard Ted say anything without explicitly stating "well, I'm not a racing driver/engineer ..."

I mean the guy literally has a NOTEBOOK where he writes down quotes and facts as he learns them from authorirative sources on track and then conveys them to us. IMO big mistake to let him go and testing coverage has shown that. I feel there is a certain sound, persona and feel required in presenting and Ted had an excellent balance of it. The rest sound either too technical and boring or too forced and fake.
this, he is a perfect presenter for the role he filled, no he doesn't understand things at more than a superficial level but that's not what his job requires, sure the members of this forum would probably love more deep analysis but we are a very small part of the total audience and the " notebook " segments are initially part of the main broadcast which happened to be repeated later as a separate show. in many ways ted reminds me of Nick Daman from radio le mans, not too reverential of people's reputation and prepared to take interviews in unlikely directions.

re the others, i broadly agree though have to add that Chandhok has an almost literal encyclopedic knowledge of the history of F1, he loves the sport and given the chance, he is a very natural presenter with an easy to listen to style, the questions are, will sky allow him to be himself? and is he the person to present the notebook ?

Crofty is far better than a lot of those that came before him, we all remember Walker and Hunt for a reason, it's that what came after was awful, Brundle is "ageing fast" but he makes a good counter to Crofty in race broadcasts though i must admit i like the practice sessions whenever its Crofty and Herbert, that feels like a good cricket commentary, filling in what is fairly repetitive viewing with a decent mix of humour and information.

I'm not convinced by Button, when ever i've heard him talk, he's come over as a bit bland, hopefully he'll prove me wrong

marmer
marmer

'Sky Sports F1 gears up for F1 2019 start'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11646703

Ted is listed as a member of the team still so good news maybe just a holiday.

Didn't he not do anything for one of the two tests last year

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

marmer wrote:'Sky Sports F1 gears up for F1 2019 start'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11646703

Ted is listed as a member of the team still so good news maybe just a holiday.

Didn't he not do anything for one of the two tests last year
This article sheds some light on it (if it’s all true).

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019 ... la-1-team/

waynes
waynes

As much as i love Teds notebook, and he’s a really nice guy having met him, i really dont get the big fuss about his non appearance at testing.

He’s just a talking head at the end of the day

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Chandhok knows F1 like the back of his hand, yet he was dumbed down at CH4. Expect worse with Sky. If he is unleashed, his flow of knowledge would be quite interesting, he's also got the energy (and some dry wit) to spice it up.

I imagine Jenson would be somewhat monotonous, sort of like Coulthard version II.

Locoblade
Locoblade

Sorry if it's been covered before but it would appear that Sky aren't covering the second test at all, is that right? :/

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Locoblade wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:25
Sorry if it's been covered before but it would appear that Sky aren't covering the second test at all, is that right? :/
F1 is not covering the 2nd test at all.
I think the teams didn't agree, to have a coverage, because those cars will be almost Melbourne ready cars.

Locoblade
Locoblade

Jozsusz wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 21:45
I think the teams didn't agree, to have a coverage, because those cars will be almost Melbourne ready cars.
Never been an issue in the past has it but I can't see the teams having a say in it anyway as the lack of TV coverage isn't going to retain any secrets the plethora of photographers and team spies won't catch in much more detail. Sky covered both tests to some degree last year and even before the FOM days with no official on-track cameras etc so seems strange they wouldn't do something even if it was just a Ted's Notebook type program from the paddock in the evening with some photos to show etc.

Big Tea

Jozsusz wrote:
Locoblade wrote:
So who would they be 'hiding it' from by not televising it?
The competition will be right there in person with them, as will the photographers and 'experts'.

I bet the sponsors will not be pleased either.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LM10
LM10

Jozsusz wrote:
Locoblade wrote:
So it won’t be shown on F1 TV either?

garygph
garygph

Jozsusz wrote:
Locoblade wrote:
Do the teams actually have a say about this?