F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Sierra117 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:24
MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:12
Kinda weird, going straight off like this..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Z4x_mWoAAa4KP.jpg:large
Where are the shots coming from? I know this is uploaded on Twitter, but it's as if there is somewhere that is showing the sessions live. Grasping at straws but ...
I think they take a picture of the TV at the track :).

NathanOlder

GPR -A wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:20
marvin78 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:16
A weird incident. No spin, a streight line into the gravel. Strange.
The only possibility of that, could be because of a steering failure.
Low tyre pressures, bottomed out over the bumps.... honest.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:28
Sierra117 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:24
MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:12
Kinda weird, going straight off like this..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Z4x_mWoAAa4KP.jpg:large
Where are the shots coming from? I know this is uploaded on Twitter, but it's as if there is somewhere that is showing the sessions live. Grasping at straws but ...
I think they take a picture of the TV at the track :).
Yeah, looks like the CCTV at the circuit to me.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

MtthsMlw

Was quite a big hit, AMuS saying the front left wheel is missing(?) and that Vettel is send to the medical centre (normal procedure, he's fine).

TwanV
TwanV

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:29
GPR -A wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:20
marvin78 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:16
A weird incident. No spin, a streight line into the gravel. Strange.
The only possibility of that, could be because of a steering failure.
Low tyre pressures, bottomed out over the bumps.... honest.
acc skyf1:

Ferrari have confirmed that a 'mechanical problem' caused Vettel's crash.

Oh really? :wink:

seezung
seezung

Quite a big hit it seems...

RonDennis
RonDennis

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:05
Track may be a little faster indeed. Could also be the mcl34 is much improved. Especially in high speed aero section it works very well. Unconvinced about mechanical grip as sector 3 isn’t as quick as I’d like
Well, McLaren is likely to make the biggest progress because they miscalculated their gap between the front tires and sidepods last year. I doubt they will get anywhere close to Mercedes, Ferrari or Ferrari. But at least it seems that they're on the right path after all these years.
Last edited by RonDennis on 27 Feb 2019, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

willmesquita

For sure it was Ericsson!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

RonDennis
RonDennis

seezung wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:35
Quite a big hit it seems...

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/38 ... 20c21a.jpg
Yeah, g sensors were activated because of the impact. Serious crash.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

RonDennis wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:37
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:05
Track may be a little faster indeed. Could also be the mcl34 is much improved. Especially in high speed aero section it works very well. Unconvinced about mechanical grip as sector 3 isn’t as quick as I’d like
Well, McLaren is likely to make the biggest progress because they miscalculated their gap between the front tires and sidepods last year. I doubt they will get anywhere close to Mercedes, Ferrari or Ferrari. But at least it seems that they're on the right path after all these years.
Fully agree. Looking at the test times. If they can get anywhere around 1sec off qualifying times of the top3 then they’ve done very well on a complete redesign. I’m still sceptical on the mechanical grip side but the aero looks solid indeed

motobaleno

seems puncture for vettel. no confirmed source yet

Shader

Does anyone know how much time difference is high fueled vs empty tank on this track??

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:55
Schuttelberg wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:15
Waiting for Toto to tell us how Alfa Romeo are a genuine threat this year for the titles!
I honestly can't relate to your dislike for the Mercedes team or Toto. Maybe I'm looking at this too far from the opposite camp being a Mercedes supporter and all, but I find their communication to the press/fans spot on and way better than most teams. Toto as well is nothing but professional, yet evidently very vested into the performance of his own team. Despite leading one of the most successful teams in F1 history, he is doing everything he should be in order to keep them as motivated and successful. If I were a fan of any other team, I'd be envious of not having him. I may not have thought that when Brawn was let go by end of 2013, but I very much rate Toto as one of the pillars to the modern success of the Mercedes AMG team.

And I'd much rather have him downplay his own team as favorites than come out playing the arrogance card. :idea:

Speaking of which; I am also a very big fan of RedBull as a team and their communication. Not so much Helmut Marko (don't care much for him), but I do like Christian Horner. For what it's worth, I also liked Arrivabene/Ferrari, except for the fact that they pretty much refuse to talk to the media most of the time, which IMO is very counter-productive.
In my opinion, your like for him basically stems from the success he has achieved. I also have my likes, but I value my neutral stand a lot more than allowing my emotions to dictate alternate reality to me. You know I'm a Vettel fan out and out and I have no problems saying Hamilton is perhaps the better driver overall so far and definitely the previous two years. I also am just a normal fan of the sport so disliking/hating the Mercedes 'team' in my book would be childish and just a lame reason to hold Vettel/Ferrari on higher ground. Having watched the sport for decades, I fully understand now the work that a team puts in for a driver to be successful and so I have utmost respect for all the teams. Not to mention, how they have to all make sacrifices to even stay afloat in the economic environment.

If you've followed my posts, I have a huge soft corner for Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. I generally allow my emotions to take over my posts when these three teams are 'insulted.' I use the word insulted and not criticised. Since 2014, I have seen a desperation in Toto Wolff to wear an underdog armour and then when his team obviously wins, he lets us know how his squad rose like a phoenix from the Ashes. He has continuously ran PR TIRADES about how even Williams could be a challenger and competition. Everyone on this board with an ounce of common sense knows about their troubles, so for me it almost seems like he's taking the mickey and that's not cool. The whole world knows Ferrari and Red Bull were not threats to Mercedes until 2018 unless Mercedes cocked up themselves and gave the other two a chance. Okay, it can be argued that in that period between 2014-17 there were 5 races perhaps where Mercedes was not dominant but you're talking about a 95% dominant period. The only time where he was genuinely under the pump was in 2018 and he well and truly behaved like a complete @rse. His star driver basically rescued him from further embarrassment. He's successful but the bricks of the wall were well and truly in place before his arrival. Having been a working bloke for a decade and a half I also know that taking over something that's working and maintaining excellence is difficult, but creating it is just another world altogether. You will find ten blokes that can maintain things but one in a hundred who can create that magic and for me that was well and truly Brawn. Hell, Lewis has himself said that he joined the team for him.

Lastly, Lewis and Seb are in the car and they have to manage expectations the most among fans through media. They both try to keep things calm inspite of dealing with the adrenaline of driving these beasts. They seem to be far more in control than Toto. I see Lewis humble, modest, keeping expectations in check but he doesn't make idiotic insinuations like Toro Rosso is in the title fight as is Red Bull. There's a difference in managing perceptions and keeping a low profile and being a complete prick.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Shader

Schuttelberg wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 13:06
Phil wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:55
Schuttelberg wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:15
Waiting for Toto to tell us how Alfa Romeo are a genuine threat this year for the titles!
I honestly can't relate to your dislike for the Mercedes team or Toto. Maybe I'm looking at this too far from the opposite camp being a Mercedes supporter and all, but I find their communication to the press/fans spot on and way better than most teams. Toto as well is nothing but professional, yet evidently very vested into the performance of his own team. Despite leading one of the most successful teams in F1 history, he is doing everything he should be in order to keep them as motivated and successful. If I were a fan of any other team, I'd be envious of not having him. I may not have thought that when Brawn was let go by end of 2013, but I very much rate Toto as one of the pillars to the modern success of the Mercedes AMG team.

And I'd much rather have him downplay his own team as favorites than come out playing the arrogance card. :idea:

Speaking of which; I am also a very big fan of RedBull as a team and their communication. Not so much Helmut Marko (don't care much for him), but I do like Christian Horner. For what it's worth, I also liked Arrivabene/Ferrari, except for the fact that they pretty much refuse to talk to the media most of the time, which IMO is very counter-productive.
In my opinion, your like for him basically stems from the success he has achieved. I also have my likes, but I value my neutral stand a lot more than allowing my emotions to dictate alternate reality to me. You know I'm a Vettel fan out and out and I have no problems saying Hamilton is perhaps the better driver overall so far and definitely the previous two years. I also am just a normal fan of the sport so disliking/hating the Mercedes 'team' in my book would be childish and just a lame reason to hold Vettel/Ferrari on higher ground. Having watched the sport for decades, I fully understand now the work that a team puts in for a driver to be successful and so I have utmost respect for all the teams. Not to mention, how they have to all make sacrifices to even stay afloat in the economic environment.

If you've followed my posts, I have a huge soft corner for Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. I generally allow my emotions to take over my posts when these three teams are 'insulted.' I use the word insulted and not criticised. Since 2014, I have seen a desperation in Toto Wolff to wear an underdog armour and then when his team obviously wins, he lets us know how his squad rose like a phoenix from the Ashes. He has continuously ran PR TIRADES about how even Williams could be a challenger and competition. Everyone on this board with an ounce of common sense knows about their troubles, so for me it almost seems like he's taking the mickey and that's not cool. The whole world knows Ferrari and Red Bull were not threats to Mercedes until 2018 unless Mercedes cocked up themselves and gave the other two a chance. Okay, it can be argued that in that period between 2014-17 there were 5 races perhaps where Mercedes was not dominant but you're talking about a 95% dominant period. The only time where he was genuinely under the pump was in 2018 and he well and truly behaved like a complete @rse. His star driver basically rescued him from further embarrassment. He's successful but the bricks of the wall were well and truly in place before his arrival. Having been a working bloke for a decade and a half I also know that taking over something that's working and maintaining excellence is difficult, but creating it is just another world altogether. You will find ten blokes that can maintain things but one in a hundred who can create that magic and for me that was well and truly Brawn. Hell, Lewis has himself said that he joined the team for him.

Lastly, Lewis and Seb are in the car and they have to manage expectations the most among fans through media. They both try to keep things calm inspite of dealing with the adrenaline of driving these beasts. They seem to be far more in control than Toto. I see Lewis humble, modest, keeping expectations in check but he doesn't make idiotic insinuations like Toro Rosso is in the title fight as is Red Bull. There's a difference in managing perceptions and keeping a low profile and being a complete prick.
Schuttelberg, although I agree with your point of view, I think you should have sent this text in PM... it's like a blog in the middle of a topic... 90% of times it is pointless to look for neutral and objective stand point among fans of any sport, there is just too much passion involved and rationality is quite often last on anyones mind... unfortunately...

TwanV
TwanV

BoT, that is not a happy place to crash! https://streamable.com/193rq