McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL34

mclaren111

Nice angle of new bargeboard...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 04:04
trinidefender wrote: Don't think so. People just thought so because the release renders showed very little rake.
Yes, there was an analysis by AMuS if I’m not wrong where they analyzed the rake of the cars during week one of testing and even then, the Mclaren was in the middle in terms of rake compared to the rest of the cars... Although lower rake and larger wheelbase compared to last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AMuS just another sports magazine... just cos they say it, doesn’t mean it’s true
The way they did the analysis looked pretty sound.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 09:36
https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... oard-1.jpg

No opening on top off sidepod for cooling... Must be confident with cooling solutions...
I've seen in a couple of analyses that this also energises the air around the sidepod whilst allowing for a tighter back end, However, in the red bull thread they say it is just cooling.

So is it just cooling? Ferrari have had this since Barcelona and to increase cooling in Aus they opened up the back end a bit.
The opening behind the cockpit is for cooling not for aero/performance... It’s a solution that has been used by the teams for quiet some time (it has been moved slightly backwards due to the Halo), but it’s there for heat management.

DiogoBrand

mwillems wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 10:21
mclaren111 wrote:

No opening on top off sidepod for cooling... Must be confident with cooling solutions...
I've seen in a couple of analyses that this also energises the air around the sidepod whilst allowing for a tighter back end, However, in the red bull thread they say it is just cooling.

So is it just cooling? Ferrari have had this since Barcelona and to increase cooling in Aus they opened up the back end a bit.
The only reason I can think of that would make you want energized airflow is if you run the risk of stalling, and if the sidepods ran the risk of stalling so that you'd need that opening to energize the flow, you'd need it all the time, not just for some races. Also, airflow over the sidepods create lift, so you want as little as possible of it.

I don't know what the big fuss is about, teams have been placing cooling gills around that area for more than a decade, and last year the halo created the possibility to place that opening there. But this time, out of nowhere, there are several theories about it energizing flow, or even blowing the rear wing.

Go figure...

mwillems

DiogoBrand wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 16:22
mwillems wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 10:21
mclaren111 wrote:

The only reason I can think of that would make you want energized airflow is if you run the risk of stalling, and if the sidepods ran the risk of stalling so that you'd need that opening to energize the flow, you'd need it all the time, not just for some races. Also, airflow over the sidepods create lift, so you want as little as possible of it.

I don't know what the big fuss is about, teams have been placing cooling gills around that area for more than a decade, and last year the halo created the possibility to place that opening there. But this time, out of nowhere, there are several theories about it energizing flow, or even blowing the rear wing.

Go figure...
I think the main benefit quoted was having a tighter rear end and more airflow to the diffuser. But I don't know if that becomes a net gain or not given the drawbacks.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

I just compensates for having the cooling there if you need it, basically, it's not a net gain, it just negates the downside with the placement of the cooling holes.

DiogoBrand

mwillems wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 16:45

I think the main benefit quoted was having a tighter rear end and more airflow to the diffuser. But I don't know if that becomes a net gain or not given the drawbacks.
That is most likely a benefit of these openings, but it's an indirect benefit from not having to increase the size of the main cooling outlets, not a direct advantage of the opening on the halo mounting itself.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 31 Mar 2019, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111

A "different" looking car under the lights... :o :o

mclaren111

Racefans:

Another team which has modified its bargeboards, McLaren’s changes are more pronounced and easily visible. They affect the boomerang section and the 6 vanes mounted within.

charliesmithhd

mclaren111 wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 12:59
Racefans:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... claren.jpg

Another team which has modified its bargeboards, McLaren’s changes are more pronounced and easily visible. They affect the boomerang section and the 6 vanes mounted within.
Which session did they do back to back test?

mclaren111

Early FP1

M840TR
M840TR

Here is Carlos' Q3 P7 lap. Car very stable and no issues besides a minor snap of oversteer in the last corner.

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video ... 1554039884

Macklaren
Macklaren

M840TR wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 14:08
Here is Carlos' Q3 P7 lap. Car very stable and no issues besides a minor snap of oversteer in the last corner.

https://cdn-b-east.streamable.com/video ... 1554039884
That sounds glorious!