2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

It was odd seeing Ferrari brake for Copse on Q1. I guess the engine modes, even of the best teams, were high even on that initial session.

RB was using a very small rear wing, I wonder how they compare to the other 2 on the high speed corners. I'm betting they still match them despite the small wing.

If Vertappen has a good start, my bet is on him for the race win.

LM10
LM10

erudite450 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:49
What's your reasoning?
If you've followed the season, you must know that this has been the general impression. Mercedes has always put much energy into the tyres in the past years. This season, it's not different. This is among the reasons why they work the tyres the best this season. They don't have any issues warming up and also manage to let them stay in the working window due to their superior understanding of the tyres in comparison to other teams.

Ferrari, on the other hand, repeatedly told that their lack of downforce (because they went for a wrong concept) plays a big role when it comes to warming up the tyres.
Last edited by LM10 on 13 Jul 2019, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:00
RB was using a very small rear wing, I wonder how they compare to the other 2 on the high speed corners. I'm betting they still match them despite the small wing.
They do. Ahead of ferrari, level with merc, most of the time, except stowe. i'll post onboard laps a bit later.

erudite450
erudite450

LM10 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:01
erudite450 wrote:
What's your reasoning?
If you've followed the season, you must know that this has been the general impression. Mercedes has always put much energy into the tyres in the past years. This season, it's not different. This is among the reasons why they work the tyres the best. They don't have any issues warming up and also manage to let them stay in the working window due to their superior understanding of the tyres in comparison to other teams.

Ferrari, on the other hand, repeatedly told that their lack of downforce (because they went for a wrong concept) plays a big role when it comes to warming up the tyres.
I totally agree that they have no problem with the tyre performance however I still believe they tend/need to approach the single lap preparation with more 'energy'.

Artur Craft

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:09
TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:05
Norris is my driver of the future. The guy is just silk on a race track.
Agreed. Him, Leclerc, Max are looking to be the guys of future championships.
Max and Leclerc are on another league compared to Norris, who I think is very hyped. I see Russel and Albon doing a more impressive job but Norris is getting all the hype and the spotlight.
Juzh wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:04
They do. Ahead of ferrari, level with merc, most of the time, except stowe. i'll post onboard laps a bit later.
Thanks mate :D
Last edited by Artur Craft on 13 Jul 2019, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

LM10
LM10

erudite450 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:09
LM10 wrote:
erudite450 wrote:
What's your reasoning?
If you've followed the season, you must know that this has been the general impression. Mercedes has always put much energy into the tyres in the past years. This season, it's not different. This is among the reasons why they work the tyres the best. They don't have any issues warming up and also manage to let them stay in the working window due to their superior understanding of the tyres in comparison to other teams.

I totally agree that they have no problem with the tyre performance however I still believe they tend/need to approach the single lap preparation with more 'energy'.
And what's your reasoning?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Hamilton gifted this pole to Bottas.

FrukostScones

Artur Craft wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:38
Hey, what happened to the super duper, mighty, perfect Mercedes car ? :roll: Almost lost pole to Ferrari and RB and I even heard that turbo lag cost Verstappen the pole.

Now, imagine if the tyres were suited to Ferrari/RB instead of suited to Merc...... The hyped Brackley team would get trashed everywhere, from now on.

Verstappen will outpace the Mercedeses again, tomorrow :)
some TD's after France ; )
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

erudite450
erudite450

LM10 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:17
erudite450 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:09
LM10 wrote:

And what's your reasoning?
Just a feeling...hahaha

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 15:47
Maybe they are already locked into a 2 stop?
even if they've decided they have to two stop, starting on mediums and going longer is surely better than finding out they have terrible deg vs people on mediums and ending up pitting into traffic. If they need the second stop they can do it later in the race with a more rubbered in track, they've far more chance of pitting earlier than others on the same tire but being clear of F1.5 so not getting held up. I can't see a single reason to start on softs and more so considering Leclerc had a nice lap on mediums there seemed to be no reason for them to change it last second by going on the softs.

izzy
izzy

drunkf1fan wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:49

even if they've decided they have to two stop, starting on mediums and going longer is surely better than finding out they have terrible deg vs people on mediums and ending up pitting into traffic. If they need the second stop they can do it later in the race with a more rubbered in track, they've far more chance of pitting earlier than others on the same tire but being clear of F1.5 so not getting held up. I can't see a single reason to start on softs and more so considering Leclerc had a nice lap on mediums there seemed to be no reason for them to change it last second by going on the softs.
yes and the problem is wear, not graining, so they could lose several seconds in one lap if they wear down to the base layer before they pit, they can't wait for the driver to say "the tyres are going off", cos it's the cliff, going: grip, grip, grip, nothing

zibby43
zibby43

I'm actually impressed by Merc's qualifying performance.

With all the talk of how this is a power track loaded with fast corners and straights (Ferrari's strengths), Merc locking out the front row was a solid performance, especially with Hamilton failing to put any of his best sectors together.

Merc haven't had any big updates like Ferrari or Red Bull have had in recent races. Last time Merc had a big update was Spain.

That'll change in Hockenheim.

Big Tea

Artur Craft wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:09
TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:05
Norris is my driver of the future. The guy is just silk on a race track.
Agreed. Him, Leclerc, Max are looking to be the guys of future championships.
Max and Leclerc are on another league compared to Norris, who I think is very hyped. I see Russel and Albon doing a more impressive job but Norris is getting all the hype and the spotlight.
Juzh wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:04
Thanks mate :D
No mention for Albon?
I think he is a slow burner like Button and will become a champion if the chance goes his way.

There are several really good looking prospects coming through now, things are looking bright for the next decade.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

I think Vettel in Q2 on softs is simply down to his lack of pace. I heard that the softs were half a second faster than the mediums.

If you add 0.500 to Vettels Q2 time, he would have been eliminated.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Artur Craft wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:16

Norris is showing up Sainz, in qualifying, who is generally well regarded. I think Norris is doing a good job.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.