2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

Natalie asked the question and was told that it was safer to two stop....but there was a pause in the reply
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:31
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 08:56
Bill wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 08:52
The same team helped Lewis in Singapore get over it
Did that cost the team a 1-2 too?
Mercedes obviously thought that Hamilton could overtake Vettel on the Softs at the end and they wanted to gift Bottas a win, rightly so, because he’s the perfect wingman.
Turned out that Hamilton couldn’t overtake Vettel, but the fresh Softs gave him the opportunity to get the fastest lap.

16 instead of 18 points after all. What a disaster! :)
Then they are idiots who haven’t been paying attention. The very second they pitted Hamilton and put him behind Vettel they had binned a 1-2 to massage Bottas’ ego. #-o

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

nevill3 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:35
Natalie asked the question and was told that it was safer to two stop....but there was a pause in the reply
Probably because even he couldn’t believe the BS he was about to say.

Justthatek
Justthatek

Sierra117 wrote:
Justthatek wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:33
Any reason why Lec didnt get a black flag for driving 2 laps with the front wing like and having it disintegrate into Hamilton?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
How dare you even think about asking such a ridiculous question.

GOOD HARD racing iirc.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

tranquility2k4 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:30
I am watching sky, why on earth no one has asked the drivers or management a straight forward and obvious question which is why did they pit Hamilton with 11 laps to go when he was around 8 seconds ahead and had tyres in good condition. At the very least he could have fought Bottas and there's no evidence Bottas would have even caught him. Vettel was miles behind so they lost a gauranteed 2nd position and I'd like to know why, even though we know it was to assist Bottas. Maybe they see it as payback for Singapore, where Bottas had to hold back, although that was a different scenario as they were on the same strategy and were fighting other cars. Here they were fighting each other on different strategies, which I believe they usually allow. Maybe they would say Bottas had to do a 2 stop to cover Vettel and so shouldn't be punished if 1 stop turned out to be better, but instead we just get told a lie that one stop wasn't possible. It's frustrating no one from sky is even picking up on this.
Possible excuse We had high deg, 1 stop was a risk, he wouldn't have made it to the end, tyre cliff blah blah blah

dans79

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:35
LM10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:31
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 08:56
Did that cost the team a 1-2 too?
Mercedes obviously thought that Hamilton could overtake Vettel on the Softs at the end and they wanted to gift Bottas a win, rightly so, because he’s the perfect wingman.
Turned out that Hamilton couldn’t overtake Vettel, but the fresh Softs gave him the opportunity to get the fastest lap.

16 instead of 18 points after all. What a disaster! :)
Then they are idiots who haven’t been paying attention. The very second they pitted Hamilton and put him behind Vettel they had binned a 1-2 to massage Bottas’ ego. #-o
Either they did it on purpose to make sure Bottas won, or their complete morons.

You have to have a substantial performance Delta to get buy any car at Suzuka, and that Delta will need to be even bigger to get past the Ferrari.
201 105 104 9 9 7

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I would have at least liked to see a fight for the win, Bottas coming on fresher tyres and then worst case scenario ask Hamilton to let him by so he maintains 2nd but this pitting BS is ridiculous his tyres were fine, he was faster than Vettel and matching Bottas. If his tyres fell off the cliff they can pit and would be 3rd, oh wait...

GPR-A

Once again, Perez did not disappoint! He showed his trade mark "Chop Move". :lol:

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:21
Here's the stewards' report for the 'alleged' (lol) false start

https://i.imgur.com/aBkvVtG.png

According to this article the rules regarding false starts have been amended for this season.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13196 ... jumpstarts

And those changes were made
36.13 Either of the penalties under Articles 38.3c) or d) will be imposed on any driver who is judged
to have :
a) Moved before the start signal is given, such judgement being made by an FIA approved
and supplied transponder fitted to each car, or ;
b) Positioned his car on the starting grid in such a way that the transponder is unable to
detect the moment at which the car first moved from its grid position after the start
signal is given.
Haha! Very good. In all honesty the report might as well have said that. ‘Yes it was obvious car 5 false started and probably led to two other cars colliding, but we decided to just let it slide because we felt like it today.’

It’s so flawed that they only considered that Vettel didn’t personally gain an advantage rather than the other consequences. Not to blame Vettel. It’s not his fault the stewards are dreadful and can’t do their job properly.

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

What is frustrating is they wrecked any chance of Hamilton doing a 2 stop by leaving him out for a 1 stop so he fell too far behind, and even told Bottas he needed to pass him, then at the last minute when he'd put in a solid stint on medium and was on for a chance to fight for the win at the very least they pit him for no apparent reason. Question - if Vettel was in P2 and not Bottas would they have pitted? Of course not. I fully believe Hamilton would have stayed out and ignored the order had it not been likely they would win the WCC today, he probably didn't want to undermine that. But what I find bizzare is how the sky coverage is not making more of a fuss over this, they are making out like it was a poor performance from Lewis, in fact at one point they mentioned he was going through a dip, especially in qualifying lol, have they forgot about the last two races splitting the Ferraris. I don't believe it's anti Hamilton as they're often pro Hamilton it's just poor broadcasting, they overlook key details and make stories out of nothing to make up for their own incompetence. The best question d
Di Resta could think of asking Hamilton post race was if he was going to battle hard with Bottas from now on, it's like oh no Paul I'm going to let him pass me. It's a pointless question.

Zarathustra

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 09:46
‘Yes it was obvious car 5 false started and probably led to two other cars colliding’
Ohh my dear lord- the force is strong with this one..

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

De Resta is still crying over Russia. His work colleagues are now laughing at him.

Justthatek
Justthatek

Did Hill really just say Mercedes drivers make silly mistakes like Ferrari's drivers wtf!

PDR still discrediting Mercedes

Sky really do chat $hit.

Shrieker

Mercedes lol what a braindead move to pit Hamilton and get him stuck behind Vettel. Don't wanna screw Bottas over ? Tell Hamilton to let him past, and secure a 1-2. Fvcking idiotic.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

MtthsMlw

Remember when 130R was scary?